General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default Mini 9 vs Mini 10v - 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM

I'm sure there's a couple threads out there, but I wanted to get opinions of those who have one or the other (or both) Minis. I know that I want one, but haven't really decided between those two. lol

The Mini 10v has a larger keyboard, larger screen (although lower resoultion), it's not as easy to get OS X on it, but it can be done, and from what I've read is more upgrade-able.

The Mini 9 is smaller, but the screen has a higher resolution, easy to install OS X, but I'm not sure how upgrade-able it is.

Then of course there's the price difference. Anyways I'm looking for your comments on the two
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Default 07-27-2009, 06:46 PM

The newer 10v's have the 1024x600 display, and it's every bit as easy to get OS X on it as is the 9. The catch is that the audio doesn't work quite as well as the Mini 9.

I've owned both, and I'll stick with the 10v, although I wish I had the 1024x600 display. The big reason for me is the keyboard. The larger hard drive is nice though.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old
Default 07-27-2009, 06:50 PM

I may be in the minority. I prefer the mini 9 because it is smaller and therefore more portable. The RAM upgrade is easier. It is as easy as taking out a few screws and popping out the old and putting in the new RAM. Quite a bit more work on the 10v. Yes, there is a slightly better resolution on the mini 9 as well. Both units are quiet though and the extra keyboard room on the 10v may make it easier to use. I like being able to watch tv while using the little guy and being able to take it with me anywhere I go without taking up much space. I got my white mini 9 with 16GB ssd with 1GB RAM for 283.00 shipped. It looked brand new.
  (#4) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to ljsworld
Default 07-27-2009, 08:08 PM

I also like the Mini-9 because of its size. True, the small keyboard took a couple of days to get use to it, but I guess that's required if you want the very small footprint. I don't use it as a primary computer. It is only for walking around with it, so my 32 gByte SSD and 16 gByte SDHC is more than adequate. A lot of the files I'm using are coming from the internet or my local land. However I do carry a 500 gByte 2.5" drive for backup and additional media. Its also a Slingbox client both at home and through the internet.

Mini-9> A04 Bios | 32 gb SSD | 2 gb RAM | 16 gb Kingston SDHC | 1.3MP Camera | BT |
| USB Legacy Mode: Off | DellEFI 1.1 | Track Pad_17 | OSX 10.5.7 |
| Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO | EyeTV Hybrid 2007 |
  (#5) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to HotDog
Default 07-28-2009, 03:59 AM

I'm also a Mini 9 fan. I love this machine. The Mini's size is what I like and find most versatile; the screen is also awesome and the screen size works well for me while out on the road. It will handle just about anything I throw at it, and now that I've switched the " and ; keys, I even like the keyboard. While I have some complaints with my "real" Macs (unneeded DVD, weight, size, etc.), I have no complaints with the Mini.

[ Dell Mini 9 | Black | A04 | NBI 20100616212351 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSD | BT | 1.3MP | WiFi ]
[ Dan-O-Cam : ]
  (#6) Old
Default 07-28-2009, 11:19 AM

i upgraded to the 10v and the internal mic is still not working. a fix will prob be avail soon but something to consider. i like the keyboard MUCH better though
  (#7) Old
Default 07-28-2009, 01:36 PM

For sure, I agree with justapps--the 10v has some nice upsides, but the upgradability SUCKS. With the price of RAM being so low these days, I was planning on buying a 2GB stick and upgrading my Mini, then using its 1GB stick in one of my older laptops, but when I looked at how CRAZY the upgrade procedure was, I chickened out and just bought the 1GB stick for the older laptop. If you don't mind the keyboard size (you DO get used to it--my fiancee has a Mini 9, and it's useable), I'd say get the 9 over the 10v.

Inspiron 6000 "Scheherazade" Ubuntu 10.04
iMac G4 (17") "Snow Maiden" MacOS 10.5.8
Mini 10v "Bumblebee" MacOS 10.6.4 / NBI 20100616...
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 07-28-2009, 01:38 PM

I truly wonder how many people voicing opinions on this subject have actually had an extended period of use on both the Mini 9 and the Mini 10v. I understand that everyone's opinion is valid, but I just do not understand how people can say that one is better than the other if they have not used both.

I think it all boils down to personal preference in the end. There are pros and cons of the Mini 9 and the 10v... so pick your poison. I think that the majority of people responding to this thread are just saying that the Mini they use is the best. Of course people will say that, because that is what they purchased and have become accustomed to.

Also, regarding the "upgradability" of the 10v in regards to RAM. Honestly, most netbook users do not even need a RAM upgrade. Everyone is always like "RAM RAM RAM... I need 2Gb of RAM"... but I guarantee that their netbook runs fine with the 1Gb of RAM and the actual limitation of the system is the CPU / GMA

[This is coming from someone who has used a Mini 9 with 2Gb of RAM for some time... just recently purchased myself a 10v and waiting on it to arrive. I enjoyed my experience on the Mini 9 but am also looking forward to the 10v. I would say that upgrading the SSD in a Mini 9 would be more beneficial, but more expensive, than upgrading the RAM to 2Gb. But, since upgrading is so simple and RAM is so cheap... why not upgrade?! When I get my 10v I will probably hold off on upgrading or not upgrade at all, because 2Gb of RAM is really not necessary in a netbook]

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#9) Old
Default 07-28-2009, 11:35 PM

I've actually owned, and spent a bit of time with both (and upgraded them both) and the biggest misrepresentation I find is the difficulity of the ram install in the 10v. I'm an Idiot and I did it in 5 minutes. The screws are all the same size even. A laminated card and a small sharp phllips screwdriver is all you need. The screen and keyboard of the 10v are a sweet spot size for my hands and eyes. The 9 made typing a bit of a chore and the track pad button placement made me wonder it the designers ever actually used it.
  (#10) Old
Default 07-29-2009, 12:54 AM

I actually own both the Mini 9 (910) and 10v (1011). Both are running Ubuntu 9.04. The 10v is dual boot with Windows, which I booted into once to make sure that it works before installing Ubuntu.

It's weird, I prefer the 9 for some reasons and the 10 for others. I hated my 10v initially but after I found the linux driver hack for the trackpad (thus upgrading it to marginally useful from horribly implemented) I find myself reaching for it more often to watch Hulu etc. because of the 16:9 aspect ratio. I dislike the larger pixel pitch (size) from the bump in screen size but no bump in resolution. The Mini 9 screen is far prettier to look at.

The 10v feels cheaper in build quality. The lid is thinner and feels flimsy when I open it. The larger keyboard is easier to type on but it feels mushy and not nearly as physically responsive that the Mini 9 keyboard. The wifi on the 10v is flakey, but rock solid on my 9.

The 10v heats up faster and gets hotter than my 9 - heat throttles the processor and about 35 minutes into a flash video (most television shows on Hulu are 45 minutes) it starts going into 1 FPS mode and I usually feel like throwing it across the room - the 9 has rock solid Hulu playback from start to finish.

Making sleeves for both of them I can tell you that the size is deceptive. In actual measurement, the 10 is 1" wider and 1/2" "deeper" than the 9. Interestingly though it "feels" and "looks" like it's at least 25% larger when they are NOT side by side. For this reason I really "think" of the 9 as being far more portable than the 10. That being said - when I take them to work one at a time everyone asks which one I'm using because they can't tell the difference in the size.

I prefer the SSD in the 9 for it's silence, thriftyness on power and inherent stability and resistance to abuse, though I pine for more than 4 GB of space; however, the standard 120 GB drive in the 10 is nearly dead silent and I'm a member of SPCR so that tells you something. The extra space is really nice - a luxury not to have to keep a mental list of everything installed and constantly budgeting against space constraints.

What was the original question again?

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January

« Another Happy 10v OS X install | os x retail questions »