General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default Re: Sometimes Mini it doesnt start... - 11-29-2008, 08:34 PM

I have been exploring this and for myself it seems to happen when I switch from booting with a power-cord to battery or in reverse. Meaning if i always boot in one particular way with power-cord or on battery it seems not to happen but when I boot once with the power-cord and the next time on battery (or in the other order) it will go into the spinning wheel of death. Funny how it never happens if I boot the same way each time, but only seems to happen upon switching.

Dell Mini 9 | 32GB SSD Runcore | 2GB RAM | 1.3 mp WebCam | OS X 10.6.2 | USB Wake Off | Legacy Support Off | Bluetooth Module On | A05 bios | NBI 0.8.3RC3 | Geekbench 2 Score 985 |  Mac Pro 2008 | 2 X 2.8 GHz Quad Core 45-nm Intel Xeon E5462 (Harpertown/Penryn) processors | 16GB 800 MHz DDR2 Ram | ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB GDDR3 | Geekbench 2 Score 12296 |  MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2009) | 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 4GB 1066MHz | Geekbench 2 Score 3907 |
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Sometimes Mini it doesnt start... - 11-29-2008, 09:40 PM

The blue load screen happens on/off power.

"There are two kinds of people. Those who use Macintosh computers and those who hate Microsoft." ~ Patrick Norton - The Screen Savers
  (#13) Old
Send a message via ICQ to loonix Send a message via AIM to loonix Send a message via MSN to loonix Send a message via Yahoo to loonix
Default Re: Sometimes Mini it doesnt start... - 12-02-2008, 10:58 PM

I am having/had the same issue(s)

I also noticed a slow down in boot time.

I ran the fix permission utility in Disk Utils and now it is as snappy as it was before

AR aka. loonix
Dell 9 mini - OSX (Type 11 method) 10.5.6
  (#14) Old
Default Re: Sometimes Mini it doesnt start... - 12-02-2008, 11:38 PM

This is a pretty common issue with all hackintosh's, and really isn't a problem with the Type11 method, or the Dell mini running it. If you do a "-v" boot, rather than watching the pretty? (ugly!) grey apple screen, you will notice nearly every time its will return something like:

Waiting on boot device with ID <something>

You may also notice that there is a failed kext load that causes it to hang up as well. If you are interested in seeing what's going on, I suggest you set your boot file to do verbose move (-v) and set a timeout. This is handy for getting into single user mode if needed, without you hammering on F8 to beat it before it goes past the prompt.

Here's how you can do that:

# sudo su -
# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI (assuming disk0s1 is your EFI partition, check with "diskutil list")
# vi /Volumes/EFI/ (I'm assuming you know some VI, if you don't, don't follow this howto!)

My file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "">
<plist version="1.0">
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v rd=disk0s2</string>

You will need to save with ":wq!" since its a readonly file.

Then make sure you do a:

# umount /Volumes/EFI

Then just reboot, you will see some nice pretty text go flying by this time. :mrgreen:

If you screwed something up, you can boot successfully using Type11's CD image. Then you will have to use his miniscript to fix things up, or manually edit your plist file as above, fixing whatever typos you may have.

« Strange issues with graphic card | Trouble booting from External Drive. »