General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 07-21-2009, 01:36 AM

Well now haha, I am 16....I worked to get my own 3.06GHz top of the line iMac, a 28" external monitor, blu-ray drive, 500GB HDD backup drive, AND have purchased and sold 3 different UMPC's.
I think your son will be fine.

Haha ya, I buy my UMPC's from mobilx for pretty cheap(weird because all the netbooks they sell are overpriced) anyways, I get my 6 months of use out of them, and then turn around and sell them on ebay for the same or even more than I bought them for!!! Really nice one UMPC, get 3. haha I am now moving on to buying a cheap mini 10v and slapping on OSX cause I'll be needing the extra cash for other stuff.

And if you are still worried, might I suggest the nice and rugged Dell Latitude 2100, made with school in mind: Dell Latitude 2100 Netbook Product Details (it has a touchscreen option!)
  (#12) Old
Default 07-21-2009, 02:27 AM

Just thought I would add my two cents. I sent my 13 year old off to science camp 17 days ago with a Dell Mini 9 that, frankly, I would have kept if I were not such a good dad because it is damned convenient (this from a whining dad who has a mac book air). She has not had one bit of trouble and, I must confess, I kind of hope that any trouble would be figured out by one of the other kids in any event. But she has a good and stable mac os x experience and she thinks it is pretty cool.
  (#13) Old
Default 07-21-2009, 03:17 AM

I'm 14 and my two machines are a hackintosh desktop and a hackintosh 10v. Once it's set up properly, it'll be stable until the next osx update comes around. But with proper setup, anyone can use one of these. Go for it

Dell mini 10v: N270, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, A03, no BT, OSX 10.6.1
  (#14) Old
Default 07-21-2009, 05:17 AM

I don't say it to be a naysayer, I'm just being realistic, if he is specifically going for some iPhone programing, the resolution (at least of the mini 9) will not fit the iPhone preview natively, you'll have to shrink it, which isn't ideal on a small screen. Now I know you'll not do a hell of a lot on the road, but it is a nice plus to do it without being attached to a monitor.

Again, love my Mini 9, think it's awesome with OS X, but I honestly feel he is describing like he wants a full use laptop, and any netbook, with any OS, is not meant to be that.

Just my 2 cents, if cost is the biggest issue, go for it. $400 (New 10v + Leopard at Amazon) is still more then half of what a refurb Macbook cost at Apple ($850), iBooks or Powerbooks can't do the SDK, and you'd be lucky to find a Macbook, even the earliest ones, for under $500 used.
  (#15) Old
Default 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM

My 10 yr old daughter loves her mini... like her Mom (5'0"), she's small, even for her size, so she likes that the mini is small like her.

Mind you, she's not coding, mostly just web surfing and iTunes.

(#16) Old
Default 07-21-2009, 09:02 PM

My son is ten and loving his Mini 10 with OS X, I got it for him but I use it a lot myself, in fact I'm going to buy one for myself soon!
  (#17) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to dad2ways
Default 07-23-2009, 12:25 AM

I am on my second Dell Mini Hackintosh. I started with a Mini 9 several months ago and recently gave that one to my wife. I purchased a 10v for myself and may soon buy another 10v so we can pass the 9 down to our 11 year old son to take to middle school this next fall. Both of these machines are OS X only machines. There are only two road blocks that I have run into with the Dell Mini platform running OS X that have been disappointing to me. One is that I cannot run Aperture or any of the Adobe software without attaching an external monitor. Plus, you cannot run Final Cut Studio because it requires at least a dual core processor, but I couldn't see myself trying to run a video editing bed on a Dell Mini anyway (other than just proving that it could be done).

But, I can tell you this, I do have the iPhone SDK installed on my Mini 10v. To run the emulator and see it completely on the screen, I have to first change the screen scaling to 75% before launching the program.

I haven't had any trouble connecting to any kind of network with my Mini 10v running OS X and I am a certified Dell technician. I go lots of places and have to connect to all kinds of different networks, even government networks.
  (#18) Old
Default 07-24-2009, 07:59 PM

OK, update.

We've decided to jump in. Is there anything specific I MUST look for before ordering?

- I assume the 10v is better for this than the 10?
- Should I bother with upgrading the RAM to 2gb? If so, what should I order?
- I've seen one comment elsewhere having to do with getting the right WiFi for use with OSX. IS this valid? If so, what should it be?

Any other important points would be appreciated.

Cheers and thanks for the help!
  (#19) Old
Default 07-25-2009, 12:43 AM

It MUST be a 10v, model number 1011. The standard Mini 10 (model 1010) is NOT compatible with OSX.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
  (#20) Old
Default 07-26-2009, 01:09 AM

OK, ordered. Whoo hoo! Anyone want to tell me which guide is the best to follow? Also, should I bother with the RAM upgrade? If so, what should I order?

« Printer setup (without printer drivers) | Pystar Releases 'Rebel EFI' Software to Enable Installation of Snow Leopard on PCs »