General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default games, virtualbox, external drive,and XP - 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM

Hi everyone

I have some games questions.

I would like to play older games, i.e. Blade Runner, Bad Mojo, Fallout 1 and 2, etc. I wonder if anyone has had luck playing games using virtualbox? I have searched; I have read the "playin games" thread; I know about dual booting, etc. But I am still curious about virtualbox.

I would like to use the XP OEM disc that came with my Mini9.

Finally, while I would like to buy some games from Steam or GOG, I will also likely buy CDs from Amazon, etc--games like GTA that are not available for download. Do people load the CDs from older games into an external drive and then copy them to the SSD or USB drive? Or must you have the CD loaded in the drive while playing?

Thanks very much. I am really new to games and have never used virtualbox but was clever enough to make a Hackintosh and swap out the original SSD for a Runcore so I've got some basic skills.

Best wishes

OS X 10.5.6|2gb RAM|32gb RunCore|
  (#2) Old
Default 07-14-2009, 06:15 PM

I can't possibly imagine you will get any kind of decent performance running those games in a virtual machine. The Dell Mini can barely play games without throwing a Virtual machine into the mix.
  (#3) Old
Default 07-14-2009, 06:41 PM

I run starcraft in Virtualbox with no problems.

Virtualbox runs better than you think on the mini9 as long as you keep other activity to a minimum. When I full-screen XP on it, it's hard to tell at all that it's running on top of OSX.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-15-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by vdub6127 View Post
I run starcraft in Virtualbox with no problems.
Isn't there an OSX-native StarCraft? I'd imagine you'd get much better performance running that.

Alternatively, I just installed StarCraft on my Ubuntu laptop via Wine, and it runs flawlessly. There's a beta version of Wine for OSX (I think they call it Darwine), and while no one's tested StarCraft specifically on it, I'd be willing to wager that it'll work pretty well.

« Web Cam on 10v | Bluetooth mouse connect, won't work on 10v »