General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 07-18-2009, 05:36 AM

I also can confirm that 1 gig is fine. but if you are the type of person that leaves 50+ windows or tabs open all the time, then you need more.
  (#12) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to unclemiltie
Default 07-18-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by antar05 View Post
OSX is designed to run on FAR less.

I have Leopard running on an iMac G4 1GHz PPC, 768MB of RAM (the maximum possible without having some soldering skillz), and it runs fine. Furthermore, it ran fine with 512MB before I upgraded it!

Unless you're doing some hard core multimedia editing (which you would be doing why, exactly, at 1024x600 resolution?), 1GB will almost certainly be sufficient.

Of course, almost ANY system will run BETTER with 2GB of RAM rather than 1GB, but considering how nasty the upgrade is...
If you're talking about the iMac G4 that has the "bowling ball" base and the swing/swivel display, you can actually upgrade the internal memory so that you can get to 1G.

The memory "on the motherboard" is actually in a DIMM slot. You have to have some skills to take the motherboard out but once you get there, you can take the 256KM DIMM out and replace it with a 512MB. That and a 512MB SODIMM in the "user accessable" slot will get you to 1GB.

(yes, I did this with my iMac G4/800Mhz and it's running Leopard just fine with 1GB. Oh, and by the way while you're at it, Dual-layer DVD burners are cheap and you can put one of those in while it's apart.... Pretty simple when you get the thing apart)
  (#13) Old
Default 07-19-2009, 12:17 AM

Running a 10v with OSX 10.5.7 and 1GB ram, seems to work fine. I want to upgrade, and was about to but couldn't get some screws out so I gave up quickly.

Not sure how long I plan to keep my 10v anyways, so I'm not too inclined. I'm really tempted to build a faster hackint0sh desktop (for video editing)...
  (#14) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to HotDog
Default 07-19-2009, 04:36 PM

I set-up a Mini 9 for one of my adult kids, and reminded her to upgrade to 2GB. She never did and when questioned, she said it runs fine with 1GB. I played around with her mini on her wireless and she is absolutely right. It runs just fine for the web, email, and a little word processing.

[ Dell Mini 9 | Black | A04 | NBI 20100616212351 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSD | BT | 1.3MP | WiFi ]
[ Dan-O-Cam : ]

« Cannot connect to Livebox (XBox) with airport | A90 + External Monitor = jumbled mess »