General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Mac OS X 10.5.7 on a Mini 9. Stuck at Step 9. - 07-11-2009, 04:17 AM

i got to Step 9 and past it no problem.

9) No matter what version you originally installed, you'll want to install the 10.5.7 update. Either use the Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update for discs 10.5.5 and older, or the Mac OS X 10.5.7 incremental update for 10.5.6 discs. (You can either obtain from the website via your Dell, or it could be stored on another drive, but please note that older disc installations (10.5.5 and below) will probably have a problem opening the DMG. To circumvent this, extract the update package from the DMG to an external drive and plug it in before booting). When the install completes, press Restart.

but when i restarted i never saw "you will see a little progress bar underneath your SSD icon" i have not seen a SSD icon, or anything that resembles one.

I saw a Dell logo and the blue progress bar. i held "-" down, it went to screen that said "Loading Darwin" and than got a grey Apple screen w/ a spinning grey wheel. than a blue screen, and than a grey screen w/ a few odd lines of what looked like static. But the mouse pointer works over it. when i press FN+8 it clears the screen and i get a frozen grey apple and non-rotating progress wheel.

and its stuck there. every so often my external USB drive blinks.

i am not familiar w/ Terminal, i think i found a post that might help, but don't really understand it how to execute it. it sound like i could boot from the USB drive and fix it, but am hesitant to try it on my own, without guidance.

any help?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-11-2009, 12:28 PM

restart and click the 0 for boot options
type -x when the prompt boot: appears
that should get you into safe mode so you can run dellefi125
  (#3) Old
Default 07-11-2009, 01:54 PM

after holding 0 down, i get the Boot Menu. i tried pressing "-x", and nothing happens. do i select something from Boot Menu? i have tried this previously, booting from SSD and USB both, with no luck at getting any kind of prompt that i can type "-x".

i want to clarify "pressing -x". do i press in succession? hold both down together? is it supposed to type on the screen?

the Mini booted up fine when i had 10.5.6, when i restarted after the 10.5.7 update is when the trouble started.
  (#4) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Toonvox
Default 07-11-2009, 02:55 PM

That info doesn't sound right to me either. You're probably using the PCEFIV bootloader. That sounds technical, but it makes a difference in what you see at bootup.

If memory serves me right, don't hit "0" but immediately after the Inspiron screen, press and hold "Shift", then type in -x at the prompt.

Once you're in, run DellEFI and do a Custom Install and check the dsdt.aml line (the 4th one down, I believe) along with the Reinstall bootloader and Install Mini 9 Extensions. Install and reboot and see if that works.

Again...I'm doing this from memory, so your mileage may vary. My apologies for updating this so much, but I keep remembering stuff!
  (#5) Old
Default 07-11-2009, 03:43 PM

ok, so i re-did steps 4-9

i think i may have enabled Quiet Boot and Fix Bluetooth during DellEFI install, that must have screwed up something.

Seems to be working now! i will love walking into Round Rock with this during meetings.

« Webcam: Mini 10v vs Mini 9 | Internal drive shows up as only having 5.8GB available on 8GB drive »