General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Fedora USB Boot? - 07-10-2009, 01:41 PM

I built my Mini 9 using the TYPE11 method - current Chameleon version is 1.0.12. I've just created a USB stick with Fedora 11 Live on it - the idea being to be able to boot the Mini9 under OS X from the SSD (Runcore 64GB) or from Fedora 11 on the USB stick.

The problem: How do I get the Mini9 to recognise the Fedora boot partition and boot from it? I've tried setting the boot order in the BIOS to USB first, but just get the ! warning (which I think means the BIOS isn't seeing the USB stick as a boot device).

Anyone any thoughts here?

(#2) Old
Default 07-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Obvious thought - is the Fedora USB stick actually bootable? Can you boot another machine from it?

What I do when I want to boot from USB stick is not to alter the boot order, but to hit 0 during boot so I get the list of devices I can boot from and then choose the USB stick there.

I have successfully done this with Fedora (although it was 10, not 11), Ubuntu and FreeDOS (and obviously my Leopard install USB stick which I used for my initial install and still use from time to time).

So, it definitely can work. I'd guess that either the USB hasn't been configured as bootable (what did you use to build it) or that you've got a USB stick which can't be made bootable (I think that there are some USB sticks like that).

EDIT - you might be better off asking this question in one a Linux forum here, rather than the OSX one ... since it's not really an OSX question and the guys hanging out in the Linux forum might be cleverer than us on this question.
  (#3) Old
Default 07-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Is USB legacy mode turned on in the BIOS?

Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB Stock STEC SSD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI 0.8.4(20100616212351)

« Leopard HD Installer Helper | AirPort Going Off-Line Intermittently »