General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Purchased OSX Mini 9 - 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Hi, I recently purchased a Dell Mini 9 with already OS X 10.5.7 installed.

It came with a legally purchased Leopard disc.

Everything is running perfectly execpt there is no options for 'Mouse' so I am unable to use 'Tap to click'

I believe that I need to run DellEFI but i dont know what version was used before. Does this make a difference? Can I run any version?

Also, even though it is a UK keyboard and is set up as 'UK', the @ sign is above the 2 and speech marks (") is where @ sign should be. Can I change this?

Just want to give thanks to the forum, as it helped me make my decision about buying one of these great machines!

(#2) Old
Default 07-10-2009, 10:08 AM

This should help you out with the track pad problem

and this should help with the UK Keyboard

How to install:
• Drop mini_uk.keylayout in /Library/Keyboard Layouts/
• Open International pane in System Preferences
• Open Input Menu tab
• Check box next to "Mini" layout
• Check box next to "Show input menu in menu bar"
• Logout and back in (not required, but this seemed to get rid of a few bugs for me)

Dell Mini 9 | Black | A05 | OS X 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | 2GB RAM | 64GB RunCore SSD | 8GB SDHC | Dell 5530 3G | 0.3mP webcam

Advent 4211 | Black / Silver | MSI Bios | OS X 10.5.7 | 2GB RAM | 250GB 7200RPM | Dell 1390 Wi-Fi | 0.3mP webcam | 6 Cell 5200mAh
  (#3) Old
Default 07-10-2009, 10:23 AM

will those Touchpad drivers work even though I have no options for the mouse at the moment?

I cant change anything about the mouse as it is.

I dont want to effect my near flawless install of OS X by running the wrong DellEFI.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-10-2009, 01:16 PM

I believe you will wind up with a new panel in System Preferences for the Trackpad. At least, I did after installing.
  (#5) Old
Default 07-11-2009, 02:28 AM

The update to 10.5.7 removed the "Trackpad" preference pane from System Preferences. The preference pane actually exists in the file system, but when you attempt to run it, it says you do not have the "supported hardware" for this preference pane (or something similar to that).

In any event, the touchpad drivers linked in this thread improve the usability of the Mini9 by 10-fold and install a new preference pane for enabling an even more complete set of features: two-finger scrolling, tap-to-click, etc. Even the motion of the trackpad more similarly matches my MacBook Pro now.

These touchpad drivers are an absolute MUST HAVE for any Dell Mini9 Hackint0sh. Do the upgrade -- also, if you search there is a thread for an automated installer script so you don't have to mess with the terminal commands if you find such tasks daunting.

Good luck!

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05
  (#6) Old
Default 07-11-2009, 03:00 AM

Just wanted to chime in about the trackpad drivers. Install v18 manually, instructions here:

Drivers can be downloaded from the first post in the thread. The installer is still at v17 which is quite good, but v18 is better.

« Del Mini 9 won't boot after 3 months of success | Is it ok to use Software Update? »