General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default 2GB vs 1GB - 07-04-2009, 04:28 AM

I know memory is like money, more is always better. much does 2GB help when running OSX? It seems to run very well with 1! I will probably upgrade since its so cheep, but I was wonder how it would help, could I allocate more memory to the graphics card, would video play more smoothly, etc?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-04-2009, 04:31 AM

I have been running OS X with 1GB for about a week now. I have actually been quite impressed with the overall speed/performance. I think you can definitely get away with just 1 GB for normal use.

Dell Mini 10v (OS X 10.5.8)
  (#3) Old
Default 07-04-2009, 04:38 AM

I think it's nice for multitasking - for example I have the Pandora webapp running while browsing, while Time Machine is randomly backing up, all with no problems. I'm sure you could run fine with 1GB, just that you'd want to try to stick to one main process at a time.

Dell mini 10v: N270, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, A03, no BT, OSX 10.6.1
  (#4) Old
Default 07-04-2009, 05:02 AM

go to activity monitor and note your regular usage. if you multi-task and regularly max out your1 gb ram, then i advise you to get 2gb ram instead. in all honesty, i got 2gb when 1gb would suffix (i have firefox, mail, adium, and maybe 2 other programs open at any given time and that's about 5xx mb only)

selling mini9 64gb 2gb ram // <3 apple & mydellmini

« Drives or Disk Images Do Not Mount | Small quibbles w/ external monitor and Apple startup logo »