General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Best Buy 10v, OSX support questions - 07-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Hey guys,

I'm about to go and pickup a 10v from best buy $349, with the 160GB drive. But I have some questions to field first.

Is the best buy version compatible with the following in OSX:

Audio Out
Bluetooth <- Not as important, but nice.

My goals for the unit are...

netbook, around the house internet, as well as video playback on my TVs throughout the house (hence the VGA) I recently got rid of my Comcast Cable TV, and have been using Hulu, and downloads on my TVs, using a Mac mini, but I'd prefer something more portable to move from TV to TV.

Is that Feasible with the Dell Mini 10v?

One thing I haven't found on here is people using an external monitor from OSX.

Thanks for any help!!

(#2) Old
Default 07-03-2009, 06:26 PM

if you are serious about streaming video, i would advise avoiding netbooks altogether. atom processors are able to handle hulu but it comes with minor freezes.

selling mini9 64gb 2gb ram // <3 apple & mydellmini
  (#3) Old
Default 07-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Granted I don't have any experience with these machines, so I can't speak from experience, but...

On paper I'd have to disagree. If the Apple TV can stream HD content, I think these should be able to do it too.

Also I'm using a Mac Mini PowerPC with Leopard, and I have no issues with Hulu, or Streaming Video from my server, So I would think this would be more than capable... But I guess I won't know until I try

Setting it up now... Wish me luck, I'll keep everyone posted.

(#4) Old
Default 07-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Well just for Proof of concept, I streamed hulu (high quality) and HD from the windows side...

All went well...

My internet connection was the bottleneck for HD, but anything non HD on the highquality setting did just fine from windows, to a 720P resolution.

That's with 1GB RAM. I'm hoping that in OSX, with 2GB RAM I might be able to have a bit better performance... but we'll see.

It's at least fun to tinker with.
  (#5) Old
Default 07-05-2009, 12:15 AM

Flash is very cpu intensive, netbooks are not designed for high quality flash. I do use flash a lot on my netbook and it works fine, but I don't do high quality because it chokes. The apple tv uses a higher quality processor and can handle more than the atom processors that the netbooks use. I love my mini 10v, but I wouldn't use it for anything serious like driving hd content to a tv. If you want to do that, just buy an apple tv and install boxee on it or load boxee on a cheap old pc running linux, it'll work a ton better than a netbook.
  (#6) Old
Default 07-09-2009, 11:37 PM

make sure that you're getting the right 10 from BB
I thought they only have the 10 and not the 10v
double check that.

« mac os x version 10.5.4 | Install done - I want a full, easy-to-restore backup »