General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Smile OS-X Issues? - 07-03-2009, 11:42 AM

New here, but can't seem to find out a simple list of the 'known issues' in installing OS-X... does such a thing exist please?

I'm a Mac user, and to have this on my Mini 9 would be a dream!! But I'm not aversed to using work-arounds if necessary.....

~ Mark ~
  (#2) Old
Default 07-03-2009, 02:03 PM

Ok, I don't know of an issues thread per se, but here are a few issues I know of you might be interested in.

During install, you will get a failure at the end. Don't worry, it is installed.

Hibernation does not work on the Mini at this time, it may in the future, but for now, sleep functions.

Boot Camp does not work with the mini, as it is only functional with Apple hardware.

Mirrored display doesn't work, or if it does, there are screen artifacts. Extended Desktop works as it should.

When updating from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7, if you don't boot into safe mode and re-run DellEFI, you will get a garbled screen. First post of this thread pretty much sums up the process.
Touchpad, 2 finger scroll, this doesn't work with the standard install, but there is a thread on here with a kext to get it to work. I used the thread with the Applescript installer instead of the terminal install, cause I'm lazy.

If you use Time Machine and need to restore your install, it is not as simple as a real mac. It is possible, but I don't use it. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my backups. To restore you have to run a boot disk or thumb drive with the boot loader to access it and DellEFI to make it bootable. I made one from a small usb thumb drive and put the DellEFI on there too. It works pretty well.

if you are doing a first time install, check out the NetbookInstaller thread, it automates much of the process and seems like it is much simpler than the older method I used. Both work, but it looks a lot easier.

Others seem to have issues with Garage Band and screen resolution, there are a few threads about increasing the screen resolution, I don't use it, so I don't know.

Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution

There is probably something(s) I am forgetting, but that should get you started.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#3) Old
Default 07-04-2009, 09:14 AM

that's good for a sticky!

(#4) Old
Thumbs up 07-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the excellent post, most helpful.

« System clock + osx + mini 10v = poop in the pants | Osx Blue screen of death »