General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Exclamation "cant find mach kernel" error loading WinXP partition on DellEFI 1.2A5 - 1.1 boots - 07-02-2009, 12:52 AM

So I have a 64GB drive configured as follows:

Partition 1: 200MB HFS+ (EFI Partition)
Partition 2: 15GB HFS+ (OS X 10.5.7)
Partition 3: 14.8GB FAT32 (WinXP Pro SP2)

I have been using DellEFI 1.1 to dual boot and it works just fine. However, during a recent crash I figured I would take the opportunity to update everything, so I went with DellEFI 1.2A5.

I REA::Y like the "gui" menu of Chameleon a lot! Unfortunately it will not boot my 3rd (WinXP FAT32) partition. The partition appears as a hard drive icon, and upon selecting it, chameleon immediately errors with a "cant find mach kernel" message, and reloads the partition menu.

I REALLY want that damn Chameleon GUI fellaz. What can I do to get Chameleon to recognize and boot my 3rd (WinXP FAT32) partition?

I would really appreciate any help offered. You guys have helped me a ton on this already and I do sincerely appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

(#2) Old
Default 07-02-2009, 08:07 PM

Nobody knows? Isnt there a way i could have chameleon boot to grub on partition 3, and have grub boot winxp on partition 3?
  (#3) Old
Default 07-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Hi Formfactor, its took me many days of hair pulling and frustration and endless pouring over posts on this forum to figure out how to do a perfect dual boot with DellEFI 1.2a5.

Here is a quick non technical rundown of the steps involved which will work for either Windows 7 or XP dueled with OSX.

1) Install and configure OSX the way you want it with a SINGLE GUID Extended Journeled Partition using something like the guide here Guide Method 1 - Single USB Drive (Mac-only) | DellEFI | mechdrew

2) Now Boot up using your USB Installer and use Disk Utility to make an image of your installed OSX to an external USB hard Drive.

3) Install Windows 7 or XP. During the install you get the option to partition the hard drive. No 200Mb EFI partition is needed. Create the first partition size what ever you want for Windows and format it as NTFS (this way OSX cant mess with it) and finish off the install to have a normally booting windows machine.

4) Once Windows is running use Disk Manager to create a second partition formated as FAT32.

5) Boot again off the USB Installer and go into Disk Utility. DONT delete the FAT32 partition, just erase it with an Extended Journeled format.

6) Use the restore function in Disk Utility to restore the Image you made earlier to your newly formated Journeled partition.

7) When the restore has finished quit Disk Utility and run terminal (we need to make the OSX partition Active) and enter the following commands.

fdisk –e /dev/rdisk0
p (should show all partitions)
f 2 (sets the second partition to active for booting)
w (write the changes)
q (quit the fdisk application)

8) Boot one last time on the USB installer. You should have 3 options Windows, Your OSX install and the USB Installer, select your OSX install. Once booted run the DellEFI 1.2a5 again and just select "Reinstall Chameleon 2.0RC1-r431 Bootloader", "Reinstall Dell Mini 9 Extensions" & "Hide DellEFI files"

9) You should now have a perfect Dual boot just remember to hit enter when you see the shrinking blue bar to then select Windows.

I've done this several times now with my DM9 and works every time.
Good Luck

Dell Mini 9 | Black | A05 | OS X 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | 2GB RAM | 64GB RunCore SSD | 8GB SDHC | Dell 5530 3G | 0.3mP webcam

Advent 4211 | Black / Silver | MSI Bios | OS X 10.5.7 | 2GB RAM | 250GB 7200RPM | Dell 1390 Wi-Fi | 0.3mP webcam | 6 Cell 5200mAh

chameleon, dellefi1.2a5, os x, win xp

« WindowShade X and hotkeys | Stuck on Apple Logo After DellEFI Reinstall »