General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default New Hack-Mini for Internet TV box? - 06-30-2009, 07:26 PM

Sorry if this is a bit "off-forum" (this being the MyDellMini forum ), but ever since me and the Mrs. Ferret cut the CableTV cable I've been looking for a small "mini-like" PC that I could throw under the TV to handle streaming Internet video.

I recently came across this: Shuttle X27D (Shuttle XPC Barebone) with a dual core Atom 330
(selling for ~$210 from NewEgg as a barebones without drive and memory)

From what I can see it parts list is pretty much on par with the Mini9 Atom processor (although dual core should hopefully handle HD video better), GMA950 that supposedly can take up to 224MB of memory for Video, 2GB max (of DDR2). The Audio and Ethernet are the only two sticklers I can see. The audio is "Realtek ALC662 5.1 Channel High Definition audio", the Ethernet is "Realtek 8111C". I have no idea what are in the Mini9.

The mini9 was my first foray into the wonderful world of running a Hackintosh and I was wondering if anyone could spot any imediate pitfalls with dropping OSX86 onto this and using it as I mentioned (I suppose I might try to find a really low profile USB Bluetooth connector and a "multimedia" keyboard to use it remotely, but first things first)

On a related note, I keep hearing great things about Boxee (BOXEE: the open, connected, social media center for windows, mac os x and linux), but I've also recently started hearing about Zinc (Zinc: Unlimited Internet Video on Demand | Anyone have any experience that can compare? (right now I'm just using my Mini9 and Safari patched into a 720p Samsung TV to use Hulu, ABC and CartoonNetwork)

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )

« Ethernet Slow | Keyboard and touchpad do not respond, need help. »