General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default off topic; garmin 700 series gps - 06-26-2009, 04:31 AM

anybody using a garmin 700 series gps, if it hasnt shut off yet....update the software with garmin web updater. If it has turned off and wont turn back on, either send it in to them.... or; remove the two screws on the back side (very small), pop open gently at all the plastic tabs, unhook the battery, wait a bit....2 min. or so, then hook battery back up and immediately run web updater on the unit to get the new software.

mods, please delete if you see fit. hope to help someone. this is some kind of software issue mistake on garmins part, effecting the 700 series gps.

more info. at POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS with a search for the issue.
  (#2) Old

Default 06-26-2009, 02:51 PM

I have a 7xx as well, but I haven't updated it since I've read this:

Garmin issues patch to exorcise brick from 7x5 series GPS

You're not the only one with this problem, I'd contact Garmin as soon as possible.
  (#3) Old

Default 06-26-2009, 05:16 PM

^ i fixed mine, it wouldnt turn on. i took it appart as the link i posted, reset the battery, then updated.
the update that causes the unit to shut down permanitly just appears as you are driving, the solution to the problem is provided by webupdater.
my guess is if you dont go ahead and run web updater on your unit, you will soon have a broken unit.

as your driving, it will start to say "update complete" over and over, then lose signal or turn off permanitely.

I highly advise that you do run web updater on it now that they have released a fix. unless you have an old old version that is somehow avoiding this. again, the patch/update that is causing the problem seems to be released either prior to this last and current release (which is the fix) or thru the airwaves and possibly thru the antanae of msn/traffic in your 12volt plug.

a better link;
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/23332

« Music Production | Your Netbook Plans? »