General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default MS Security Essentials Software Beta - 06-26-2009, 02:14 AM

Just loaded MS Security Essentials software, wondering if anyone else is trying it?

MS website to download:

Microsoft Security Essentials Support

It is a small download.

On some computers, when you start the computer it opens a Windows Explorer window. There is a fix for it:

XPSP3 - Explorer Window at startup and no MSE tray icon

Nevertheless, patching the Registry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (the MSSE item) by adding quotes, that is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe" -hide , worked perfectly for me.
  (#2) Old

Default 06-26-2009, 03:53 AM

They've stopped accepting Beta participants for now. But it will be back soon.

I've been using it on several computers and I like it. Several reviews have been published already and all of them are very positive. Like this one:
Antivirus testing outfit: Microsoft Security Essentials makes the grade

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#3) Old

Default worked for me - 06-27-2009, 07:43 PM

I put it on both my Mini9 and my '330 nettop'. The 9 came back clean but the 330 which has all my crap on it, including stuff the kids have done over the past several years turned up two trojans hiding in some limewire music that was on a separate partition.
The reason I mention this is because the folder the 'songs' were in have been sitting there the entire time I have been trying Win7, which means I have gone through the gamut of AV trials as well as having purchased Kaspersky for my XP partition after reading some good hype here at MDM.

A brief history: Back in '06 my kid wanted to put some of his music on my Dell 4600. He loaded the folder in question onto a disc, put it into my machine, scanned it using Norton and it came back clean. Folder was loaded onto his user name-my music. All scans subsequent to that never turned anything up.
Move forward to November '08. I build this Atom330 'top and throw the contents of the 4600 onto a drive partition with XP as an OS, weekly scans produce clean results. I must be lucky. Then comes Windows 7, I have been using this as my primary Home OS since beta. Also have tried AVG,Norton360,McAfee to see how they were resource wise, none of the scans ever produced any signs of virus. one thing I did notice however was the amount of files it showed from each AV on a full-system scan. AVG always came back with something like 80k, Norton with 200+k, and McAfee with around 180k. My first full system scan with MSE returned over 500k of files/folders and the two virus' in question. I have my 2 HDD's carved up into 6 different partitions and the entire music collection is backed up onto the other drive partition, meaning there is a copy of it. just to see if there was a mistake we threw the old music disc in and scanned it. Sho'nuff MSE recognized the two corrupt music files, something NO other AV had done before.

Anyway, so far I really like MSE as the footprint is small, it seems to have taken care of a problem I was unaware existed, and it's allegedly going to be 'free'.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 06-27-2009, 11:16 PM

I'm also running it, while I wait for Symantec to put out their public beta of NIS2010. I can't comment on how well it works - I've never had a virus or malware on my system - but it is getting good reviews.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Your Netbook Plans? | Top Gear Season 13 is out! »