General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Suspicious calls reportedly from Dell - 06-25-2009, 04:23 PM

Since I bought my mini 9s, I've gotten two very strange calls, reportedly from Dell. They start off asking how my computers are doing and other lame questions. One eventually tried to sell me an extended warranty, and I told him I wasn't interested.

The other, today, was from someone who couldn't seem to get to the point. When I told him if he was trying to sell me an extended warranty I wasn't interested and to put me on a do not call list. he told me that he was my account manager and he could offer me better deals than what I had been getting buying computers off the outlet, that I could get a mini 10 for a cheap price if I bought an inspiron 15whatever. I said I didn't want an inspiron 15whatever, and I wasn't interested. He repeated that he was trying to help me get better deals and he could give me better prices, but he couldn't seem to make sense (need I say he was Indian?) I told him if he had some great offer, he could email it to me but I didn't want sales calls. Needless to say I didn't get any email following that.

Is anyone else getting these tremendously annoying calls and has a clue who they are from? Since when does buying a few netbooks rate you an "account manager" ?
  (#2) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM

Probably the same sort o third party companies that try to sell you mobile phone insurance/upgrades.

Wonder how they got your details if that is the case.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#3) Old

Default 06-25-2009, 10:21 PM

Make that 4 calls that state they are from Dell and start out asking how is my new computer doing. I asked what the call was in reference to, and was told again they wanted to know how my new computer was doing. I said fine clearly with an edge in my voice, feeling like with all this concern for its wellbeing I should just offer to put the mini on the phone to let it talk to them directly. Maybe it's homesick for the factory, or Dell itself is having a separation anxiety on letting it leave the nest. Four calls over a $300 netbook? Then the call disconnected --not on my side.

What the hell is going on? Any suggestions who at Dell I call to find out if Dell really is behind this and how to get it stopped?
  (#4) Old

Default 06-25-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansha View Post
...I said fine clearly with an edge in my voice, feeling like with all this concern for its wellbeing I should just offer to put the mini on the phone to let it talk to them directly. Maybe it's homesick for the factory, or Dell itself is having a separation anxiety on letting it leave the nest. ...
LOL!

Kevin
  (#5) Old

Default 06-26-2009, 01:50 AM

someones yanking your chain....
  (#6) Old

Default 06-26-2009, 01:54 AM

I got the same call... It was a couple of weeks after I bought my Mini from the outlet. Phone rang, someone of the foreign persuastion attempted to check up on my order, sell me the extended warranty I "may not have been aware of when I purchased my unit", HAH!!!, right, I was unaware of it... blah blah blah... I eventually just hung up on them. Never happened to me again after that.

BUT...

When attempting to flash the BIOS through their "Windows" friendly version, instead of the DOS version my gut told me to go with, and it froze up while "installing"...overnight...and into the next morning...I had no choice but to pull the battery as no amount of button pushing would do anything, and of course, it bricked my Mini. Fast forward, I contacted Dell and the only option they would give me was to send the unit in, but my gut told me there was an easier fix I could do myself, and since I'd ignored my gut about the DOS BIOS earlier...I hung up on the persistent send-it-inner Dell Dude and I hit the internet...and that's when I found this site...and my fix...the external floppy method, so I ordered one from Newegg, got it in 2 days and had my problem fixed, yada yada yada...but for DAYS after I hung up on them, Dell continued to call me over and over again, about 9 times total, to finish resolving the issue and to instruct me how the return would work...I kept telling them I wasn't interested and had fixed it myself...so yeah...they are a persistent bunch of jagaloons!!!

I consider my Mini bought and paid for "As Is" now, and will never contact Dell for support again.
  (#7) Old

Default 06-26-2009, 02:17 AM

^not sure how many times ive had some issue and wound up having fixed it myself with no help from them. like their products, after that anything else they offer is useless.
  (#8) Old

Default 06-26-2009, 02:21 AM

Jagaloon. I like that.
I'd mess with them; order up everything they have to offer, lay it on thick, then just as they need some form of payment say "let me go ask my Mommy."

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#9) Old

Default 06-26-2009, 05:27 AM

^+1....beautiful.
  (#10) Old

Wink 06-27-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtom View Post
Jagaloon. I like that.
I'd mess with them; order up everything they have to offer, lay it on thick, then just as they need some form of payment say "let me go ask my Mommy."
LOL. Is there an age limit to post on this forum, or is a note from your mommy sufficient?

P.S. Go ask daddy if mommy is a proper noun!......just joking! ;>)

« Learning to program | Recover Formatted SD Card »