General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default How to perform an external data backup? - 06-25-2009, 08:44 AM

I am planning on restoring my computer to factory settings due to irus and spyware infections. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a simple backup system like this one I found. I need to backup all of my data: documents, pictures, music, videos, etc. and to then restore the data back to the newly reformatted system. Any suggestions?

“Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.” -Mitchell Kapor
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 06-25-2009, 10:47 AM

How do you know your data doesn't have infections? Many viruses corrupt what look like data files and hide viruses in them.

You don't need a "backup system" to do a one-time copy of files. You could just copy the contents of the Documents and Settings\yourusername folder to a flash drive. For regular backup, Acronis TrueImage is hard to beat. For any backup, you will need to regularly connect some sort of USB disk to the system.

Another option is an external disk with built-in backup software. I'm trying out a Seagate Replica, which so far is very promising and very easy to use. (My 75-year-old mom got one and set it up herself.) For backing up documents and individual files, an online solution such as Carbonite, Mozy or Norton Online Backup works well.

I have never heard of the backup system you "found".

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 06-25-2009, 09:25 PM

I have a seagate external drive...and it works good...Got it from ebay.....

On Line gaming addict....

Cherry Red Mini 9..64GB Runcore SSD...2GB Ram....16GB SDHC card, BT...Win XP Home, Logitech mouse
  (#4) Old

Default 06-26-2009, 02:57 PM

I'd scan all of your files immediately with AVG free, Avira, or with any protection software on your computer. If you're just copying files, I'd use sync toy to transfer your files to a new HD. Here's the download link below:

SyncToy - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
  (#5) Old

Default 07-20-2009, 07:08 PM

well when I told my friend my problem he strongly recommended to me that I use an online data backup. Does anyone have any experience with this?
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM

I've never heard of that particular service. I use Carbonite. Mozy and Norton Online Backup are other well-known options. These don't do whole-disk backups, though - just your "personal files". If you don't mind reinstalling from scratch and then just recovering personal files, that's ok as a solution.

I do both external disk backups (to a network-attached RAID box) using Acronis True Image) and user file backups with Carbonite.

After testing the Seagate Replica, I can recommend it too as a "set it and forget it" option that will provide a complete reinstall if your system is hosed.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default 07-21-2009, 02:27 AM

I use a Seagate FreeAgent drive, which I like. It tells you it isn't backing up a number of things, but it actually is. Go figure. I also back most things up on Mozy. And I also have flash drives for backing up my documents and my photos.

And I don't think that being 75 years old means one has to have an "easy" backup system.

« Preferred movie format? | Best Linux disto for media playback on Mini 10v »