General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#21) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-03-2008, 01:04 PM

I would try to stay away from IDE drives in those tiny cases,SATA will do wonders for airflow

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#22) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-03-2008, 04:05 PM

I'm ditching the IDE all together, that big ugly cable gets in the way. besides, a terabyte and a half of space should be plenty after living with 2-40GB hdds for the past 5 years. The sata's are extremely fast on this thing. minus the graphics this lil machine is snappy.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#23) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-03-2008, 04:38 PM

I had a D945GCLF a couple months ago. Not the dual core, but yeah, same experience. Exceptionally peppy performance. I had 2gb of ram and a 320gb SATA hard drive in it. Ran OSX beautifully. I put XP on it at one point just to try it out and it was crazy fast.. Really surprising, considering how poorly rated the Atom was in all the reviews when it first came out. I just wish the board had DVI out rather than VGA. It's easy to do a DVI to VGA adapter for older monitors, but newer monitors really suffer with the analog signal. And some of the other Atom boards have a PCI-e slot, which would allow you to toss in a high performance graphics card. Might start surprising people in game performance as well as Windows performance..
The one thing I did find that ran very sluggish on it was Linux. For some reason, Ubuntu 8.04 with Compiz turned on was just unusably slow. And I know it's not the graphics card doing that, as my old Dell Inspiron 1200 had even worse intel graphics (GMA900) and it ran Compiz GREAT..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-03-2008, 04:52 PM

I know it's a bit more expensive but why not using a Mini9 as filer/print server ?

Buy the tiniest Mini9 (considering the rebates/discounts you can get in the US arround it) and plug an USB drive (SATA drive in external case) to it.

You have a (very) cute filer, with keyboard and screen, that eats very low power and is totally silent.

French Mini9 + 2GB + RunCore 64GB
Currently running 10.6.3
  (#25) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-04-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klug
I know it's a bit more expensive but why not using a Mini9 as filer/print server ?

Buy the tiniest Mini9 (considering the rebates/discounts you can get in the US arround it) and plug an USB drive (SATA drive in external case) to it.

You have a (very) cute filer, with keyboard and screen, that eats very low power and is totally silent.
1. I can't build a mini 9
2. external HDD's are cool, but I have no use for one(my 9 and a mouse are all I want to lug around)
3. this build was so easy I'm surprised no one has come out with a kit yet
4.I'm through with Dell unless they come out with something really F*****G cool
5. I spent approximately $1000 on a diminsion 4600(which ran flawlessly for 5 years).It came with a 40GB IDE HDD. This machine cost me a quarter of that and I get 2-640GB sata's out of this deal and so far it runs circles around the 4600(except for the graphics and thats only for gaming, graphics work fine for everything else)if I want to game I'll kick the kids off their computer.
the mobo is really cheap$80-$100, it cost less than the graphics card I just replaced on my 4600($92 through dell with s/h)
anywho, I'm sure there are better boards out there and when the time comes(Intel upgrades the atom mobo) I may move on but my goal here was a low cost/low power desktop server I could use when I dont feel like typing on the mini(rarely). To date(only had the board a week) it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do and doing it very well, except for the wake from LAN feature, and I really dig gazing at the speedfan stats.
Anybody that is looking into doing a real simple first build or up/downgrading to a low power desktop should definitely check this board out.

(#26) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-04-2008, 02:19 AM

When I built mine, the Mini9 wasn't even a rumor yet. Nobody had an Atom based Netbook. And the price was irresistable.. something like $62..
Yes, a Mini9 could be a great server, got a nice 4 hour battery backup for when the power goes out, dead silent and no moving parts, it should last forever.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#27) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-13-2008, 03:50 PM

I just put order in for the parts I need for my Atom-based home file server system.
I'm using a MSI Wind Barebones desktop system as the base, with 2gb RAM, a 170gb OS/apps drive and a 1.5TB storage drive running Windows XP Pro. I've also ordered an 8gb compact flash card to reside in it's internal slot for use as a place to back up the OS and for possible use as an embedded or similar type system in the future.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856167032
The whole thing should be able to live behind a 19" LCD TV I'm picking up today that will also double as this system's monitor.

Call it a Christmas gift gift to myself to tinker with after unexpectedly coming into some money this month.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#28) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-15-2008, 03:32 AM

That sounds like a really fun system to set up - I'll have to take a look at the system you posted and inspect that CF card carefully... I wonder if you could boot off of that?

I'm really loving these Atoms!

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#29) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-16-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerallK
That sounds like a really fun system to set up - I'll have to take a look at the system you posted and inspect that CF card carefully... I wonder if you could boot off of that?

I'm really loving these Atoms!
It just arrived like 15 minutes ago.
Oh man this thing is COOL!
Yep, it'll boot from the CF slot and as a bonus I wasn't expecting, the thing has a Mini PCI-e slot as well! The mounting screw is at the longer distance, but careful mounting of shorter cards is possible.
The manual talks about wireless cards and TV tuners so I don't know if it supports SSDs yet. That slot isn't presented as a boot device like the CF slot is so I'm thinking no.
I don't think this'll boot from the SD slot either, but I still have some tinkering to do.

Installing windows now.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#30) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-16-2008, 06:51 PM

way cool, you gunna give us a lil peek at your new machine? I'm dual booting Ubuntu and xp on both machines(I'm giving myself a year to learn about ubuntu and linux/unix). Good to see people supporting the smaller form factor comps. Congrats and enjoy.

« Useful Links and Just For Fun | Internet Explorer 8 Beta- be afraid »