General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 11-19-2008, 06:12 PM

I'm getting a new desktop in feb. so I'm gonna hold off.
My old P4 Desktop (yes ( get the most out of 'em) is overkill for my secondary system, but that's never stopped me before.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 11-20-2008, 11:09 PM

first off, thanks Strider, because of this post I will soon be parting with more of my hard earned cash. Second, I would like some help as I am about to delve into my first build with the dual core atom motherboard. To start, the hardware seems pretty self explanatory(plug it in, install the drivers) but I am a bit confused as to what options I have for a OS. I want to use this mainly as a file/print server and from time to time it will be used to surf, make docs. etc. so I guess my question is, since all my other computers have xp on them, will putting a linux os on it cause me problems as far as file sharing and general computer communication and if not any suggestions as to what build I should use. Also, any input as to which power supply I should use would be cool too as well as any hardware suggestions. thanks in advance

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 11-20-2008, 11:56 PM

what case do you plan to use?

if you get a really small case,you needs an external PS,but you can get slightly larger ITX cases that have power supplys in them

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 11-21-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth_03

if you get a really small case,you needs an external PS,but you can get slightly larger ITX cases that have power supplys in them
gunna make my own out of clear acrylic/lexan(i think thats what its called, i use the stuff at work). Once I figure out if I want an optical drive and the dimensions of everything I'll slap together a case.
and thanks for the mb link
by the way, would like to go with external psu to keep heat down

(#15) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 11-21-2008, 02:44 AM

My only advice is stay Windows if all your machines are Windows machines and that's what you are familiar with.
Go with what you know. I've tried and it's brought me back to stupid old XP every time.

That isn't to say you shouldn't try new things, just not in devices you need to depend on as a utility type thing.
That's ultimately up to you, of course.

(#16) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 11-21-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle
Quote:

gunna make my own out of clear acrylic/lexan(i think thats what its called, i use the stuff at work). Once I figure out if I want an optical drive and the dimensions of everything I'll slap together a case.
and thanks for the mb link
by the way, would like to go with external ps to keep heat down
While this idea is cool... it is going to hold heat in like there is no tomorrow, and if it is really lexan... it is a pain to bond. If it is acrylic, drilling it can be a pain... and you would need huge cutouts for air flow. Plus, the heat from teh power supply could melt some low grade acrylics. I would strongly recomend a prefab shuttle case.

Running an external ps would cause a whole slew of other problems, for one, it will get dirty, quicker. 2, you would need longer cable runs. 3 it would likely be a great source for potential problems. Keep your electronics inside the box designed for them!
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 11-21-2008, 05:22 AM

I'm going with everything teeth_03 recommended minus the case. I talked to my guys that supply me the acrylic and I think I'm going with a U bend, and a sheet to close it on the bottom and mount the mb on. I'll probably do a smoked acrylic on the front. I'm going with a pico psu. It'll look like a lil cube, just not sure how I want to do the front panel yet. this is my first foray into this type of thing, so I think this is a good starting point. Most I've ever dealt with a motherboard is popping the cover off my dimension and blowing the dust off. I'll post a pic when i'm done. Thanks all for the inspiration

edit-
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicThree

While this idea is cool... it is going to hold heat in like there is no tomorrow, and if it is really lexan... it is a pain to bond. If it is acrylic, drilling it can be a pain... and you would need huge cutouts for air flow. Plus, the heat from teh power supply could melt some low grade acrylics. I would strongly recomend a prefab shuttle case.

Running an external ps would cause a whole slew of other problems, for one, it will get dirty, quicker. 2, you would need longer cable runs. 3 it would likely be a great source for potential problems. Keep your electronics inside the box designed for them!
working with the stuff I use wont be a problem, it'll look like I got it from Target when I'm done. In the long run I'll probably mold a case out of aluminum(w/internal psu), I just need to figure out what I want it to look like( I prefer the minimalist look).

(#18) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 11-21-2008, 12:37 PM

That sounds awesome.
Pictures please when the time comes!

(#19) Old

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-03-2008, 07:30 AM

OK sorry it took so long to get back, Thanksgiving got in the way. This is what I came up with. It is essentially
Quote:
What you can get for roughtly the same price-

Dual Core Atom MB $79.99
Cheap 2 gig Transcend RAM $19.99
ITX Case w/ 250 watt PS $55.99
640G 3.5" SATA HDD $69.99

Total- $225.96 before shipping.
I did add an extra 640GB western digital and ordered new cables and fans all around.
After mocking up an acrylic case I decided it looked really stupid and in spite of the box being out of view I decided to go with the retail case. My mini wants to marry it.

Once I had everything, I pulled out the case psu and and put in a new fan I can control. Then I put it together.

Case

Everything else

The psu and fan

case with mobo

Back

front

Stats courtesy of Speedfan

I used a 90 watt pico-psu and routed the power plug through the pci card slot. I've got another 640GB coming and an adaptor for the 5.25 bay to stack the drives(theres a 40GB seagate in the internal right now and I dont need an optical drive since I got my external).
Other than that, I installed ubuntu 1st and tried it for a couple of days. It ran perfectly but I had trouble doing the whole network thing(firewall issues I'll bet) but ended up dumping windows on it and tried dual booting xp/ubuntu. 1st boot was fine but now I dont get a grub menu at startup(goes straight to xp) and theres no ubuntu partition in xp?????
Motherboard smokes my aging single core 2.4GhP4 but definitely not graphic wise, dragging windows around on a 15" monitor reminds me of the peyote scene in natural born killers. Plays videos fine though; I connectted a 37 inch TV up to it via the S-video cable and it played anything I threw at it-DVD-mpeg-wmv-flv- dont have anything HD.
As far as apps, OOo,foxit, and ulead video studio(convert DVD to wmv) it took about an hour, or aprox. 20-30 minutes less then my diminsion 4600 P4 2.4
Only thing I dont get is the temps on the speedfan monitor, especially the Remote 1. before I vented the DVD drive door it was hitting 52C-54C with fans 100%( although I suspect the ancient IDE drive and cable might be screwing with my airflow. Both sata's are going up front anyway and I might not even keep the IDE in there. Maybe I'll get a new IDE and use it to back-up the back-ups?

All in all it's a great little net-top server, definitely 5 star. Thanks teeth_03 for the parts list and thanks strider_mt2k for the inspiration for a first build.

(#20) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Check this Atom-based system out - 12-03-2008, 07:49 AM

Wow.
Dude. NICE!

« Useful Links and Just For Fun | Internet Explorer 8 Beta- be afraid »