General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old
Administrator

Default 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM

If what you're accessing is your home network, I agree that's a good plan. I never do that - I use VPN to secure my Internet usage when using insecure networks.

I've also read independent articles suggesting that home-configured VPN gateways often have security flaws, but the article did not elaborate so I don't know how much stock to put in it.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#12) Old

Default 06-13-2009, 09:45 PM

i'm going to add to the discussion because of what i recently discovered: the ghosts and monsters are real.

i use a paid vpn service called steganos, and although i'm very happy with it, there's a few issues with it. google and yahoo shows up in german, which can be fixed, easily. another problem is that slow connections slow down to the point that they are unusable. i don't know if other vpn solutions will have this problem. some connections, i cannot establish a vpn tunnel using steganos, probably blocked by the router.

i'm considering hamachi as an additional vpn option.

i would prefer to do it myself (was shown the light by somms) by using openvpn ddwrt, but the belkin f5d7231-4 router i bought, does not have enough flash memory to accept the ddwrt vpn firmware. i was successful at installing the basic ddwrt firmware on it, and wow, that's a very impressive piece of router software. it literally turns your cheap home wireless router into a super wireless router.

i used to take advantage of free wireless at places like wholefoods and coffeshops without vpn... never again. thanks to tyrone, i recently discovered backtrack 4, ettercap mitm, sidejacking with ferret and hamster... no one should connect to any "questionable" network, and this is more true on a public wireless network, but it also applies to wired-networks in hotels (or other places).

btw, i used my own 15inch laptop as a test-victim and the mini 9 as the "predator", not on anyone...

just an fyi... i'm getting too paranoid, and 99% of the time, the threats don't exist. it's the 1% when the bad guys are present that poses a problem. i haven't even even delved too deep into the tools and i'm already concerned of the results i've found...

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]
  (#13) Old

Default 06-13-2009, 10:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I am going to play around with OpenVPN tomorrow. I will update on how it went in case anyone else is considering it.

Thanks
Zach
zachx (zachx) on Twitter
  (#14) Old

Default 06-14-2009, 02:17 AM

trickyzach, if you get stuck don't hesitate to let us know here. I gather there's a few of us using OpenVPN that could help you out.
  (#15) Old

Default 06-16-2009, 01:06 PM

I tried digging through the DD-WRT website. I see that my router is supported

WRT54GS V1.1

I just cannot find clear instructions on what files I need to download and what order. Anyone available on gchat or something to assist? I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Zach
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyzach View Post
I tried digging through the DD-WRT website. I see that my router is supported

WRT54GS V1.1

I just cannot find clear instructions on what files I need to download and what order. Anyone available on gchat or something to assist? I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Zach
What is DD-WRT? - DD-WRT Wiki

Since you have an older non-draft-N wireless router, you may get better performance from using a VINT = vintage DD-WRT build.

(#17) Old

Default 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM

Okay.. so where is where I am at.

I got DD-WRT on my router, I setup my router with the static key server configuration its just me connecting so I dont need multiple connections.

I setup my netbook with these config settings...
# Use the following to have your client computer send all traffic through your router
# (remote gateway)

Open VPN connects, but when I open firefox and go to a website it does not give me the ip address of my home machine.

When I do an ipconfig /all it brings up a ip of 169.254.195.181

Thanks
  (#18) Old

Default 06-18-2009, 10:18 PM

Can you post the OpenVPN server and client configuration files?
  (#19) Old

Default 06-23-2009, 04:10 AM

I think I got it working, at home at least. If I jump on my neighbors wifi it connects all the way to green.

At work for some reason it just goes to yellow, doesnt pull an IP. I am getting a bit tired right now but I will post the configs tomorrow. Curious if there is a way to get it to work at my job as well.

Thanks everyone for your help so far

(#20) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-23-2009, 07:30 AM

Index of /dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn12360/

FWIW: Latest DD-WRT 12360M EKO vpn build now contains OpenVPN rc18!

BTW: Don't forget to add 'management localhost 5001' in the OpenVPN Config box setting of OpenVPN Daemon to enable the status tab of DD-WRT pictured above...

« VGA vs HDMI? | Mini 9 - Refurb or New »