General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default Your Netbook Plans? - 06-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Just reading up on some of the newer netbook developments, such as the new cards which will allow smooth HD playback within netbooks, which I see as a fantastic, much needed addition to the netbook market. Also the development of the new higher GhZ processors netbooks seem to be getting faster, higher battery life and the lowering SSD prices (and rise in performance) it really seems the next year or so is the perfect time to start investing in one of these little machines.

I've owned a Mini9 since October/November and would like to know how long you're all planning to keep your Mini 9/10/12/other around until you 'upgrade'? As I've spent quite a large amount - £350+ on my Mini9 I will most likely be hanging onto it for another year at least before even considering making a change. Even after that I may still use it for some other purpose (possible media centre).

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM

I'm most interested in the upcoming ARM-powered netbooks. If they get it right, they could be revolutionary.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 06-07-2009, 09:02 PM

I haven't read up on the ARM-powered netbooks. What benefits do they offer? Generally more powerful?

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#4) Old

Default 06-07-2009, 09:03 PM

I'm looking forward to the nVidia - ION technology coming soon! For now, my Vostro and OSX serve me quite well on the couch, bed, or on the go.

Kevin
  (#5) Old

Default 06-07-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nollie View Post
I haven't read up on the ARM-powered netbooks. What benefits do they offer? Generally more powerful?
Arm and Snapdragon powered "smartbooks" bring 8 hour battery life, ability to play HD video without flaws, very thin, and fanless like the Mini's. I too am looking forward to them.

As for netbooks, I am looking towards the Pineview processors this fall that will bring more speed and less heat, along with Broadcom's cards making HD playback smoother.
  (#6) Old

Default 06-07-2009, 10:03 PM

I like my Mini 9; however, I will be tempted, at some point, to switch to a netbook with a normal keyboard. The keyboard is my only real complaint about the Mini 9, though I have some minor ones--Chrome still freezes on it, and a memory "upgrade" was a disaster. But for now, I'm sticking with the Mini 9. I like the battery life, the size and the design.
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 06-08-2009, 12:02 AM

Be aware that an ARM-powered device will be running Linux or Android - no Windows or Mac OS. Also, you'll be limited in the available software.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Default 06-08-2009, 03:11 AM

I'm waiting for an ION based 9 or 10. I have completely been converted to the net book for the type of work I do. A command line session to program a Pix or some other network device is great on an ultra portable mini. But I sure do miss playing some of my games like HL2, C&C, and Red alert 3 while in airports. So I'm hoping for the ION. It would be great to get a 2GHz processor and a 128GB SD too. The Runcores are pretty awesome. If Dell gets a 9 or 10 with a 2GHz cpu and ION with 2GB of ram I'll be there waiting.... I sell this Mini 9 in a heartbeat.

Hers:Pink Mini 9|2GB|8GB SSD|16GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|XP Home
Mine:Black Mini 9|2GB|32GB Runcore|32GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|Kubuntu 10.10
Future Mods 64GB Runcore - BT Headphones
  (#9) Old

Default 06-08-2009, 05:31 AM

I'm looking for a continuation of silent netbooks that run HD video, can play World of Warcraft with fluid framerates and make coffee.

I'm serious, I want coffee.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#10) Old

Default 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanx View Post
I'm looking for a continuation of silent netbooks that run HD video, can play World of Warcraft with fluid framerates and make coffee.

I'm serious, I want coffee.
LOL! Hopefully, the ION technology will do everything for us on a Netbook except java. Oh, the beverage, I mean!

Kevin

« off topic; garmin 700 series gps | MS Security Essentials Software Beta »