General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Exclamation A battery life span, what's best/better for the battery?? - 06-07-2009, 12:53 AM

OK, my mobile provider's support guy said to fully empty (and then fully re-charge) my Dell Mini 9 netbook's battery for the first 2-3 times. I see that recommendation as a pretty straight-forward one, and there's no confusion here. But what about afterwards??

I mean, I always thought that it's better to re-charge only when the battery is almost empty, but from the results of a poll in the "A battery life poll" thread on forum on ArsTechnica (the pool is about mobile phone batteries though, but I guess it applies to Dell Mini too since AFAIK it also uses a Lithium Ion battery) I see that the number of votes says that it isn't so, or better yet, that it's actually the opposite.

Quote:
Pool Results:
For max battery lifespan, should I recharge regularly?
12 (63%) Recharge every time you are near a charger.
6 (32%) Recharge only when you get down to 1 bar or so. Don't let it die, but wait as long as reasonable
Quote:
Originally posted by ZPrime:
Number one cause of battery failure I see is that people drain it to near dead before charging. Lithium Ion doesn't like this. Charge it at 40% or sooner if possible.
So what's your opinion/recommendation about this, i.e. is it better (for the battery itself in terms of a longer life) to plug-in the charger every time you are near it, or is it better to to re-charge only when the battery is almost empty (as I always thought it's best for the battery)?!!

Thanks in advance, satyr
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 06-07-2009, 02:56 AM

From what I've read about li-ion batteries, I'd recommend that you charge when you can. Don't run the battery down when there's a outlet available.

But the battery will die eventually, no matter how good you treat it. So, don't worry about it too much.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 06-07-2009, 01:15 PM

I've read so much conflicting information on this I don't know what to believe anymore. Fully running down a Li-Ion battery is bad, most everyone agrees. But I've seen recommendations that, at least once in a while, you should let it run on battery to 40-50% and then charge again.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Smile 06-07-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I've read so much conflicting information on this I don't know what to believe anymore.
Yeah, it's the same in my case (i.e. a conflicting information regarding this matter/subject), and that was the reason for opening this thread in the first place ...

Quote:
Fully running down a Li-Ion battery is bad, most everyone agrees. But I've seen recommendations that, at least once in a while, you should let it run on battery to 40-50% and then charge again.
Thanks for the provided further info though!!

satyr
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 06-08-2009, 12:01 AM

I will comment that I had an IBM T42 from work that I ran 95% of the time on AC - after four years the battery still had pretty much its original lifetime, so I'm not convinced that letting a battery "stretch its legs" really is beneficial. Note that once the charge is complete, the charging current is shut off.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

Tags
battery, charge, empty, full, lithium

« zaurus | Mini 9/Mini 10 hybrid desktopenstein!!! »