General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Lightbulb Is it OK to run Dell Mini 24/7?? - 06-03-2009, 04:48 PM

I am asking this because I am used to run my desktop computer 24/7; beside other reasons, like for example that I am running Folding@Home, I know that it's better for a computer (CPU in particular and other mechanical parts too), to be at constant, even though high temperature, compare to shutting the computer down and turning it on all the time (therefore temperature rising and dropping, and so mechanical parts extending and shrinking)

Thanks, satyr
  (#2) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyr View Post
I am asking this because I am used to run my desktop computer 24/7; beside other reasons, like for example that I am running Folding@Home, I know that it's better for a computer (CPU in particular and other mechanical parts too), to be at constant, even though high temperature, compare to shuting the computer down and turning it on all the time (therefore temperature rising and dropping, and so mechanical parts extending and schriking)

Thanks, satyr
You know, I normally keep my computers on - and you could with a DELL Mini, but since they tend to be fanless, I don't know if I would leave mine on running Folding@Home. Netbooks are a different breed of computer, casual, capable, but - I think; not so easily able to dissipate heat when their processors are running full load all the time.

My two cents.

Kevin
  (#3) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the reply ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELLsFan View Post
... I don't know if I would leave mine on running Folding@Home. Netbooks are a different breed of computer, casual, capable, but - I think; not so easily able to dissipate heat when their processors are running full load all the time.
No, you misunderstood me, I was saying that only for my desktop, I do not (and do not plan to) run DC projects on my Dell Mini.

satyr
  (#4) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply ...

No, you misunderstood me, I was saying that only for my desktop, I do not (and do not plan to) run DC projects on my Dell Mini.

satyr
My bad. In that case, I think it would be ok to leave your Mini on 24/7. They still get pretty warm, I hear (especially if you upgraded the SSD to a RunCore, for example). So, I would leave the Mini on a flat, well ventilated area with the lid open to minimize heat concerns.

Just set your display options to sleep the display, but not the computer after a certain amount of time. Have fun!

Kevin
  (#5) Old

Question 06-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
So, I would leave the Mini on a flat, well ventilated area with the lid open to minimize heat concerns.
Sorry, but what do you mean by "lid" (note that I am not a native english speaker)??

satyr
  (#6) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 09:48 PM

By lid ... I mean cover ... the top of the Mini ... that you can open and close.

Kevin
  (#7) Old

Lightbulb 06-03-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
By lid ... I mean cover ... the top of the Mini ... that you can open and close.
Ahhh thanks, I speculated though (and could have check the dictionary ) that you in fact meant this (i.e. the cover), but I wasn't 100% sure because (at least in my Mini's case) when I close the lid the Mini automatically goes to "Sleep" power-saving mode, which is btw. kind of annoying (or better yet, something I don't want it to do); and speaking of it, does any config. setting exist where I could change this default behaviour??
  (#8) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 11:59 PM

I leave my Mini 9 running 24/7. I have it sleep when I close the lid, and I turn the display off after a few minutes of not being in used. Other than that, I never shut it down or restart it. I have the stock 16GB SSD and 2GB of Crucial Ram and even after a few hours of it on my lap it's barely warm.
  (#9) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Ahhh thanks, I speculated though (and could have check the dictionary ) that you in fact meant this (i.e. the cover), but I wasn't 100% sure because (at least in my Mini's case) when I close the lid the Mini automatically goes to "Sleep" power-saving mode, which is btw. kind of annoying (or better yet, something I don't want it to do); and speaking of it, does any config. setting exist where I could change this default behaviour??
Probably, what OS are you running?

Kevin
  (#10) Old

Default mine's always on - 06-04-2009, 04:09 AM

Since about December of 2008 my mini has been on almost 100% except for reboots after updates. I also donated some cycles to various projects starting in February, 2009. From then until May 30th it was on 24/7 with 100% CPU load doing mostly Milkyway@home. I finally finished up some CPDN wu's and now it's time to take back the n-book for personal leisure. Here's my mini9 stats from boincstats

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330

Tags
24/7, mechanical parts, run, temperature

« Dell Mini 9 vs Dell Mini 10? | No Mini's in the UK Outlet.... very odd »