General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#21) Old

Default 06-11-2009, 12:10 PM

I have been using my first Dell mini 9 as a throughput for my internet connection so I can monitor the usage and it has been running 24/7 since around Jan 09. I have had no issues with it as far as crashes other than my usb weather station sometime looses connection and I have to remove and reinsert.

Obsidian Black Mini 9
64Gb RunCore SSD running OS X 10.5.7 / 2Gb RAM / 1.3MP camera / Bluetooth / WLAN / Fingerprint Scanner / USB Hub
Original 16Gb SSD running Win XP
  (#22) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2871 View Post
I have been using my first Dell mini 9 as a throughput for my internet connection so I can monitor the usage and it has been running 24/7 since around Jan 09. I have had no issues with it as far as crashes other than my usb weather station sometime looses connection and I have to remove and reinsert.

FWIW: If you have a DD-WRT capable router, you can track month-by-month bandwidth usage along with having a OpenVPN server installed within your wireless gateway router!

(#23) Old

Default 06-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanks, I use it to set limits. Softperfect bandwidth manager Software for local area networks, intranets and the Internet does this and more. thanks you, I have thought about doing a custom firmware in the past.

Obsidian Black Mini 9
64Gb RunCore SSD running OS X 10.5.7 / 2Gb RAM / 1.3MP camera / Bluetooth / WLAN / Fingerprint Scanner / USB Hub
Original 16Gb SSD running Win XP
  (#24) Old

Default 07-17-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2871 View Post
Well, you know that I've started doing the very same thing (i.e. using my Dell mini 9 as a throughput for Internet connection), or as I wrote in this post in my other thread here on forum titled "The best way to use SSD in this scenario" ...
Quote:
Just as an update: although I still (need to) use my Dell Mini 9 for p2p downloading (I have problems using Soulseek from other/desktop PC, read on), I managed to connect computers (i.e. Dell Mini and my desktop) together through LAN with the use of UTP crossover cable, and so I am using the 3G/HSDPA connection (that came with Dell Mini) on my desktop and am therefore using the desktop (if you want to see the "Internet connection sharing confusion" thread that I created on Ars OpenForum about it) for all the stuff like web-browsing, e-mail etc. Of course it's much better now, considering the Dell Mini's screen resolution etc.

However, if I go out for a relativel long time (be it to a long visit to one of my friends, or going to a holiday break 100 km away from my home at Slovenia's capitol city Ljubljana), then Dell Mini still proves useful. Well, a laptop/notebook would be better, but there's no need for remorse (because of deciding for netbook) now!!
satyr

Check out my website at this address: http://tadej-ivan.50webs.com/ if you are maybe interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
  (#25) Old

Send a message via AIM to TchnclFl
Default 07-17-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyr View Post
...and speaking of it, does any config. setting exist where I could change this default behaviour??
Running Windows XP, click on control panel, click "Switch to classic view", click "Power Options", then click the "Advanced" tab. The setting is right there .
  (#26) Old

Default 07-20-2009, 02:32 AM

I would recommend buying a cooling fan. I bought one that fits the mini perfectly.
  (#27) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Dell Mini 9 - Is it really silent ? Always ?

External fan would be unnecessary since I have been runnin' my Mini budget NAS fileserver in clamshell mode (lid closed)for @5months so far without an issue!

(#28) Old

Default 07-25-2009, 04:12 AM

When you leave your mini on
for 24 hours do you leave it with
or with out the battery connected.

Vostro A90 2GB RAM/16 GB SSD/16GB SDHC/0.3 Web Cam/Bluetooh/10.6.2/NBI 0.8.3/8-Cell battery
  (#29) Old

Default 07-25-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELLsFan View Post
OMG, did everyone's Minis make it out in time?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Seriously, you've provided so little information; that drawing any logical conclusion from a plugged in, unattended Mini being potentially dangerous - is just plain silly! To be concerned about an unattended laptop with the power cord attached may as well be the same as worrying about your refrigerator, toaster, or electric shaver!

What were the circumstances of the VCR burning down the house anyway? Left on, tightly sealed in an entertainment system with a swiffer refill on the top vent? Did the cat bite into the cord - causing sparks to shoot out his ass and onto a curtain? Attempt to record the marathon showing of MTV's Real World, maybe?

Give me a break!
Think of all the appliances in your house... toaster, fridge, vcrs, tvs, cable boxes, computers, monitors, phones, dishwashers, microwaves, washers, dryers, stoves, cellphones chargers, etc. etc. What's the risk of any one of these catching fire? Extremely slim, almost negligible. But when you put them all together... it adds up, and it only takes one little short to set a fire going.

As far as being able to run the mini 24/7, mine seems to hold at a pretty solid 35C no matter the length of time it's left on, that's a perfectly acceptable temperature. I'd say there's no problem leaving it running.

Tags
24/7, mechanical parts, run, temperature

« Dell Mini 9 vs Dell Mini 10? | No Mini's in the UK Outlet.... very odd »