General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyr View Post
Ahhh thanks, I speculated though (and could have check the dictionary ) that you in fact meant this (i.e. the cover), but I wasn't 100% sure because (at least in my Mini's case) when I close the lid the Mini automatically goes to "Sleep" power-saving mode, which is btw. kind of annoying (or better yet, something I don't want it to do); and speaking of it, does any config. setting exist where I could change this default behaviour??
If your running Windows XP this is a easily adjustable behavior. Simply Click on "Start" > "Control Panel" > "Power Options" > "Advanced" > "When i close the lid on my laptop" > You can choose between "Standby" (Default) or "Do Nothing" (What your looking for) > Hit apply and OK. And done
  (#12) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELLsFan View Post
Probably, what OS are you running?
It's a Windows Home SP3 operating system ...

Thanks, satyr
  (#13) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks, satyr
Yep ... just as conleyri indicates above, this is how you can change the behaviour of the Windows XP OS when you close the cover.

I would remember that if you keep the cover closed while the Mini is operating, the machine's ability to dissipate heat will naturally be restricted some. I understand it was designed to ventilate through the keyboard with the lid open.

Cheers!

Kevin
  (#14) Old
Administrator

Default 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM

I have found that the Mini 9 throttles back the CPU much more when warm than when cool - even in the high performance setting. I'd be concerned about running anything that required a lot of CPU power with the lid closed.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#15) Old

Default use caution - 06-05-2009, 07:34 PM

just remember that like any appliance in your household, as long as it's plugged in, there is always the risk of fire. although a lot less risk than say 20-50 years ago.

the reason I say this is because my neighbors house 4 doors down burnt to a crisp the other day. The reason- a VCR.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#16) Old

Default 06-05-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
just remember that like any appliance in your household, as long as it's plugged in, there is always the risk of fire. although a lot less risk than say 20-50 years ago.

the reason I say this is because my neighbors house 4 doors down burnt to a crisp the other day. The reason- a VCR.
OMG, did everyone's Minis make it out in time?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Seriously, you've provided so little information; that drawing any logical conclusion from a plugged in, unattended Mini being potentially dangerous - is just plain silly! To be concerned about an unattended laptop with the power cord attached may as well be the same as worrying about your refrigerator, toaster, or electric shaver!

What were the circumstances of the VCR burning down the house anyway? Left on, tightly sealed in an entertainment system with a swiffer refill on the top vent? Did the cat bite into the cord - causing sparks to shoot out his ass and onto a curtain? Attempt to record the marathon showing of MTV's Real World, maybe?

Give me a break!

Kevin
  (#17) Old

Default 06-05-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
OK, I've found the setting right there in Control Panel's Power Options applet ...
  (#18) Old

Default 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleyri View Post
If your running Windows XP this is a easily adjustable behavior. Simply Click on "Start" > "Control Panel" > "Power Options" > "Advanced" > "When i close the lid on my laptop" > You can choose between "Standby" (Default) or "Do Nothing" (What your looking for) > Hit apply and OK. And done
Uhh sorry, I totally missed this post ...
  (#19) Old

Exclamation 06-08-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I have found that the Mini 9 throttles back the CPU much more when warm than when cool - even in the high performance setting. I'd be concerned about running anything that required a lot of CPU power with the lid closed.
Well, I've set it back to the default setting (i.e. computer going into "Stand by" after closing the lid), however, I noticed that it's quite hot right after opening the lid (and therefore netbook just coming out of power-saving mode), which is something I didn't expect.

Although OTOH it's true that I remembered that on my desktop computer oddly the "Stand by" (or "Sleep") power-saving mode is causing the CPU temperature to be even higher (I look at MBM 5 program's reading for CPU sensor right after the computer is "awakened") than for instance when running my DC-projects at 100% of CPU.

Here's a part of one of my posts on where I mentioned this:

Quote:
This most probably (or more accurately, certainly) isn't related, but see my "findings" in the A question about "stand-by" power saving mode (btw. Hat, you was also participating in it) about the "stand-by" power saving mode causing the CPU temp. to be higher than for instance running my DC-projects at 100% CPU ...
Best regards, satyr
  (#20) Old

Default 06-09-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELLsFan View Post
OMG, did everyone's Minis make it out in time?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Seriously, you've provided so little information; that drawing any logical conclusion from a plugged in, unattended Mini being potentially dangerous - is just plain silly! To be concerned about an unattended laptop with the power cord attached may as well be the same as worrying about your refrigerator, toaster, or electric shaver!

What were the circumstances of the VCR burning down the house anyway? Left on, tightly sealed in an entertainment system with a swiffer refill on the top vent? Did the cat bite into the cord - causing sparks to shoot out his ass and onto a curtain? Attempt to record the marathon showing of MTV's Real World, maybe?

Give me a break!
Actually I believe it involved a cat and a glass of orange juice. You sure are a smart ass.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330

Tags
24/7, mechanical parts, run, temperature

« Dell Mini 9 vs Dell Mini 10? | No Mini's in the UK Outlet.... very odd »