General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to kajdna
Exclamation Mini 10 Cons? - 05-30-2009, 09:01 PM

Today I went to dell.com and ordered mini10v. Yes, the mini9 no longer exists. I had my heart set on the 9, so I was very disappointed. Dell official product description of the 10 on my invoice is: Inspiron 1011. Like the 9, the 10's screen is backlit, I confirmed via salesperson. That's good. On the 10, the Alpine White is a $40.00 upgrade, on the 9 it was standard. The default color choice included on the 10 is black only. I argued about this and got $40.00 off. They can always give you a discount under DISCOUNT COUPON/APPLIED. So try to argue with salesperson, and s(he) will check with supervisor. This netbook is strictly for travel, so I chose white for low light situations where, with a smaller keyboard anyway, the keys should be easier to read -- black on white. Other than that, white is a boring color and likely to smudge. . . I chose Ubuntu 8.04 and argued for a price cut versus WinXP (same price), but wasn't successful. The latter's proprietary and the former's open source, so they are making a profit here. I went for the 8 GB SSD drive at no extra cost, which is better than the 9's no extra cost 4 GB drive. There's no reason to waste money on hard drive space when you can just add flash drives. I also upgraded to wireless g/N again, given that this will be used for travel. I also opted for Bluetooth module and a (Bluetooth) wireless mouse in matching Alpine White. I refuse to use a track pad. The included webcam is 1.3 MB, standard, which added cost on the 9. My total cost with above additions is $349.00. After tax, shipping, environmental fee the final cost is $396.00. Oh, the mouse is charged separately and shipped separately (!!), add $26. I think I have a good deal considering the options. It's a mistake to spend too much money on a netbook, since it obviates the original purpose. Once I get up and running, I'll probably jump to the Linux forum . . .

Binary code is as easy as:
1, 10, 11
". . .To me the meanest flower that blows can give/Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears." Wordsworth, from "Ode: intimations . ."
  (#2) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 01:48 AM

All of the Minis I have ever seen (9, 10, and 12) have black keyboards with white lettering. Are you expecting to receive a white keyboard because you chose the Alpine White lid? If so, I think you're going to be disappointed. However, the benefit of the white over the black lid is that it shows fewer fingerprints (if that's something that concerns you).
  (#3) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to kajdna
Default 05-31-2009, 01:54 AM

This isn't the first time in my life that what I imagined would be true wasn't.

Binary code is as easy as:
1, 10, 11
". . .To me the meanest flower that blows can give/Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears." Wordsworth, from "Ode: intimations . ."
  (#4) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 01:59 AM

OK. Just thought I'd warn you so you wouldn't be surprised when it arrives.
  (#5) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 02:47 AM

Congratulations on your Mini purchase! I have a feeling you're going to be very pleased with it. Come back to the Mini 10 area and let us know what you think after it gets delivered and you've played with it a bit!

Cheers!

« Dell offering XPS13 with Ubuntu! | Looking for a webcam client that will work with ubuntu and OSX ? »