General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Streaming my Music Library (Fire.fm, Lala.com) - 05-25-2009, 11:49 PM

I've been looking for a way to stream my music library to my Dell Mini 9. Its 4GB SSD is too small to hold much, so my library lives on an iMac. My Mini 9 runs Ubuntu Linux.

Simplify Media looked promising. In practice, though, music streamed through Simplify Media and played on Rhythmbox produced a poor user experience that was buggy and crash-prone.

The Fire.fm extension for Firefox is a winner. Fire.fm exposes a toolbar that lets me reliably stream my Last.fm radio station, my friends' stations, Love and Tag songs, and so on. It works better than the Vagalume Last.fm client for Gnome. The drawback is that Last.fm works like a radio station: it doesn't give me random access to my library. I also wonder how much of my library is available. Does Last.fm scan all of it, or is it aware only of music that I have previously scrobbled?

The best I found is Lala.com. Lala put my entire music library "in the cloud." Its Lala Mover app scanned my music library and synced it to Lala's servers. It took a while, but now I have random access to all of my music -- iTunes playlists included -- via Lala.com's web site through a great user interface. A beta scrobbling feature is available, if you enable it, to let you scrobble your Lala.com listening to Last.fm (unfortunately you cannot Love or Tag your songs).

An optional Firefox extension called Lala Control puts controls on the status bar, letting me pause and move between songs without needing to be parked on the Lala.com tab (you do have to be in the same window, though).

What works for you?
  (#2) Old

Default 05-26-2009, 01:51 AM

I keep it simple, I just run "mplayer http://ubuntu.hbr1.com:19800:/ambient.ogg" and let it run for a few days. Because unlike Rhythmbox, mplayer will indeed run for days without issues. <3 mplayer.

Unix fanatic
Vostro A90, 16GB SSD, 2GB DDR2, US-INTL Keyboard, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
Latitude E6400N, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Opensolaris 2009.06 updated to build 118
Dell Tech Support agent

« Road Runner significant speedup | why do you prefer os x vs win or vise versa? »