General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Think twice before buying Dell... - 05-20-2009, 04:45 PM

Dell recommended a mini 9 running Ubuntu, and a V305w all in one printer. I bought them 4 weeks apart.Love the mini, and, as I was also told "everything you can do with Windows you can do with Ubuntu". It was fine. Until I connected the printer. They are incompatible, with no drivers available.
Fine, every company makes a mistake now and then, I'll get them to put it right.
Indian call centres are ridiculed in England for their poorly trained staff, difficulty with accents, premium call rates and bad lines.
I have spoken with13 different staff members in India, and basically their stance was not to believe that they had tendered such advice.
They have now left themselves with a prosecution pending through Trading Standards, as they have blatantly made false claims of their products, which is punishable under the Sale of Goods Act, 1979; an airing on BBC consumer programme, and a summons from me for a refund.
Buy a Dell by all means, but beware, any after sales problems and you are on your own.
  (#2) Old

Default 05-23-2009, 12:23 AM

This isn't an issue with Dell. It's an issue with the printer maker and the fact that the drivers are not open-source. Even if the printer is branded a Dell, its more than likely another brand (Dell doesn't manufacture printers). Linux will not work with hardware when the hardware makers won't share the code. Hardware that works where the drivers are closed-source is sometimes reverse-engineered in Linux so that it will work. Research for printers that are known to work in Linux and you'll be OK.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#3) Old

Default 05-23-2009, 12:45 AM

Actually, it is an issue with Dell.

I'm as pro *nix as they come, but the computer manufacturer that sold him a computer with Linux and a printer told him that the printer was compatable with the operating system. He was told incorrect information and made a buying decision on that information.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 05-23-2009, 12:47 AM

Dell printers are manufactured by Lexmark, but they are customized for Dell and not interoperable with Lexmark printers.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 05-23-2009, 01:00 AM

Dell sales people either don't know their products or they don't care. I ordered a mini 12 with the assurance that the memory could be upgraded. Of course it can't and they said I could return it with a 15% restocking fee.

I wanted to order a Mini 10 to hackintosh and I also needed a printer. I was assured that the mini 10 could be upgraded and hacked. Neither are true. Yet the sales staff gave me the "let me talk to a tech person." Upon returning to the phone I heard, "Tech guy says he has a mini 10 that has been hackintoshed and that he upgraded the memory." Needless to say, I didn't order as it was nonsense and I told them so. But I did buy the printer with the assurance that my Ubuntu on my Mini 12 was a perfect OS for it. NOT! and neither is my mini 9 hackintosh.

Let's just say that before any of us order from Dell we should do our research and not fall for the "party line." I think that tonywilko has every right to be upset, his fault is in not returning the printer immediately. My mistake too!

If there had been any other netbook on which I could so easily install OS X, I would not have bought the mini 9.

JA in KY
  (#6) Old

Default 05-23-2009, 02:52 AM

The easiest answer to printing in Linux is HP. I don't think I've run across an HP printer that CUPS couldn't make work. Just FYI.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#7) Old

Default 05-23-2009, 03:06 AM

It's also my experience that HP is the best. Dell offered me the V305 for almost nothing. BTW, just ordered a mini 9 bag. Can't wait to get it.
JA in KY
  (#8) Old

Default 05-26-2009, 03:40 AM

get em' tony, they'll tell ya anything to make a buck....
  (#9) Old

Default 05-26-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Dell printers are manufactured by Lexmark, but they are customized for Dell and not interoperable with Lexmark printers.
Bingo. Now, this may be something that Dell 'blessed', but this isn't the first time a vendor has done this. In the end, Dell, just rebadged it and more than likely assumed that Linux wouldn't have an issue with it.

One thing I've learned over the years is to always check hardware compatibility when using Linux, regardless of heresay. Such is the power of the internet.

You can do one of two things: get a refund and complain profusely that you were told that this would work with Linux, or peruse hardware compatibility documents and determine what will work with Linux then go out and get that printer. In fact, do both.

Dell may have told you a lie, but in the end, the printer never worked with Linux in the first place.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#10) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM

As a general rule, sales critters will tell you whatever it takes to make a sale. There are certainly generic sales units who are honest, and when you get into commercial sales where you're expecting an ongoing relationship with the customer some of the bullshit has to go away or your customers will, but people who are trying to make one sale and figuring they won't see/speak to you again are notorious for being somewhat.... creative.

Never believe a salesman without evidence. That advice will serve you well in many facets of your consumer life. Do your own homework before spending your hard-earned money.

Mini9|Obsidian Black|2G ram|32G Runcore|OSX 10.5.7

« Lenovo's S12: First ION Netbook | Any Dell desktops good hackintoshes? »