General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Default Photogs! (Pro, Amateur, Hobbyist, etc) - 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM

What digital camera are you guys using? And how does your Mini (9, 10, 12, eleventy billion, whatever) aid you in your photography?

I just picked up a Nikon D40 pretty cheap, but all stock (including lenses). It's my first DSLR, and I'm curious as to how you guys use your Mini along with it.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 05-19-2009, 05:46 PM

I have a Canon 40D. On my recent vacation, I used the Mini 9 to review photos I had taken and to make multiple backups (onto flash memory and a USB hard drive.) I was especially glad to be able to view the full-resolution images, unlike my last vacation where I had a Wolverine ESP photo storage and viewer device. I did not know beforehand that all it could see was the low-res JPG preview embedded in the RAW file and everything looked fuzzy. It was not until I got home that I found that many pictures were out of focus due to a mistake I had made.

The Mini 9's screen is very nice for showing photos, and the 9 drew a lot of attention from others on the tour.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 02:00 AM

I'm old skool, camera-wise. Still shooting with my Canon Digital Rebel (300D). Hey, it takes great pics and 6 megapixels still prints as large as they did when it was new.

I'm going on two vacations this summer (well, a family reunion followed by an actual vacation) and plan on using the Mini 9 as a backup (dual backup - to the SSD and an external USB HD) storage for the pics.

Since my camera uses Compact Flash cards, I've been eyeballing a CF carrier that you can put an SD(HC) card into. That way, I can plug it into the camera, take pics, remove the SD card and put it straight into the Mini to offload pics. No card reader that way.

Edited to add: My gallery: http://malcolmtalley.smugmug.com
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-20-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! What OS(es) are you running as well?

Mtalley, that's why I only went for a Nikon D40. If I had the money, I really would love one of those multi-thousand dollar DSLR's. The D40 also sold me because it uses SDHC/SD.. Bloody thing better get here tomorrow, I need it for Friday!

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#5) Old

Send a message via MSN to RyanTheTragic13 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanTheTragic13
Default 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM

I shoot with an Olympus Evolt E-500. I'm still waiting for my Vostro, but in the past I've used laptops to view my photos at the end of the day during a vacation. I'm sure the Vostro will be a much more portable alternative to my old dell inspiron.
  (#6) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 04:12 PM

I am a photographer shooting with a D3 & D300. I just picked up a Mini 10 running XP to use as a portable review/storage/backup device. No real world test yet but I loaded Adobe Lightroom and imported 300+ RAW images without a problem. I created and ran a slideshow in Lightroom and it worked as well. It's certainly not as fast as my workstation, but not as slow as I had feared either. On the whole I'm very pleased.
  (#7) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 05:25 PM

Just loaded Windows 7 on the Mini 9 last night. I was running XP.

The Lightroom experience is encouraging. Might load up PS on mine and see how it does. Would like to be able to view and/or semi-process raws if I take those.
  (#8) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 06:21 PM

I am still waiting for the opportunity to get into DSLR camera one of these day, but I just recently picked up a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3.
I have my eye on Canon EOS 1Ds (hey wishful thinking right?)..this one is a my dream camera.
  (#9) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 09:55 PM

PSCS3 runs fine in XP on Mini 9 with 2GB RAM and Runcore. The RAW converter window overscans requiring 1064x768 and cannot be moved. Freeware Pwrpro49 provides option to scroll window around right-clicking cursor to reveal bottom. Even still, the Process and Exit buttons aren't shown, but Enter and Escape provide same functions. Better than scaling downward since full size window can be just dragged around.

Handles 10MB RAW NEF's fine.

I calibrated LCD using Adobe Gamma (no longer in PS) carefully and comparing results to known standardized step greyscale and color step tester images that reveal how accurate reproduction on-screen. My results are dead-on. I'll post Gamma control and images if interested.

Black Mini 9 (free with DSL package) | 2GB Patriot RAM | 32GB RunCore | 16GB Transcend 6 SDHC | TWO internal 16GB microSDHC on USB controller | EETI Touchscreen | Windows XP
  (#10) Old

Default 05-22-2009, 05:40 PM

I installed PS 7 (free disc from someone whose employer upgraded to one of the newer versions by buying full discs for the office and gave out the old copies to employees) on my Mini 9 last night and works like a champ. Haven't loaded any raw files yet, and PS7 might not support them. If not, I've always got a couple other programs I can load for that (though I normally shoot JPG except for important stuff).

« Hayfever! | Dell order question... »