General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM

I use my canon XSi and the mini9 togeter very well. I use the mini9 to review my shots while travelign and to backup to an external hard drive. I shoto in RAW so I'll soon be installing lightroom on the mini9 for minor tweeaks before I get home.

On my last trip I imported a picture into photoshop and designed an album cover for a friend of mine's new album from a kitchen table in Alaska. The mini is great for on-the-go creativity.
  (#12) Old

Default photog with a mini - 05-27-2009, 04:07 PM

I have a D3 and D700 currently using Ubunto 8.04 with 2gbs ram & 8gb ssd. Figuring on upgrading to larger SSD and getting XP so I can put photoshop on so I can do some stuff on my Mini. The heavy duty stuff happens on my home machine. I am suprised to hear people can work on photos with Photoshop and Lightroom, the display on the mini is excellent.
  (#13) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM

I have a Nikon D40 and love it. I bought it a couple of years ago, and have no plans on upgrading any time soon. Really, 6 MP is really enough, and features like video don't interest me. That's not saying at some point I may go to another body. I usually have it outfitted with a 4GB card and an 18-135 lens.

I haven't used the Mini9 for photos yet, but I am toying around with the idea for trips where I don't have my laptop with me.
  (#14) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-27-2009, 05:03 PM

I've been loving the D40 so far. It's helped me realize that I have a lot of rust on my photography hinges. I'm not used to all the features. My last SLR that I used was a Pentax K1000 (still have it too)...needless to say, I'm used to all manual cameras, so I'm not all that used to things like white balance and such.

I've been playing with the Aperture trial since I'm only running OS X. Yeah, I definitely would have to use my laptop for any heavy duty stuff. But for quick viewing and minor adjustments, it works very well.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

One other question: Any particular case recommendations for the camera, that could also perhaps fit the Mini 9? I've got an el-cheapo case that I'm not fond of, but it works for the moment.

Thanks!

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#15) Old

Default 05-28-2009, 10:22 AM

anguish

I use a Lowepro slingback for my camera and mini 9. The bottom is perfect for a DSLR and several lenses and the top half is perfect for the mini9 and a few other personal items.
  (#16) Old

Default 05-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Lowepro and Crumpler both do some nice combined Laptop and Camera gear bags.

I use a Canon 350d/XSi. I've got my mini9 running OS X and I asked a question about previewing RAW files on it in here the other day which was very succesfully answered. So now I've got a nice tool that will let me at least have a look through my images at the end of a days shooting. Wont replace my Vista desktop with Lightroom for actually processing, backing up etc. but it's a great feature to have whilst on the go.

What does everyone shoot anyway? I'm just a hobbyist at the moment but trying to sell some Motorsport prints. I still put all my stuff up on Flickr though - Flickr: Stephen Hynds' Photostream
  (#17) Old

Default 05-29-2009, 02:35 PM

I've got the XSi too. I love that camera.

Flickr: jrmelot's Photostream
  (#18) Old

Default 05-29-2009, 03:28 PM

Using an Pentax K200D and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K when traveling light.

For now, just using iPhoto 09 from my Mac Box install. Obviously not as robust as Photoshop or even Elements, but surprisingly capable for a portable / easy to use solution. I may drop Elements or Lightroom on later, but for now this meets my needs as an amateur.

I print to an Epson PM-Dash for snapshots and also use a Canon Pixma i90v which is a completely wireless printing solution via BT or IR (using BT myself).

Very satisfied with my completely portable photo solution!

White OSX 10.6.2 / 2GB HyperX / 64GB RunCore / 32GB Kingston SDHC / 0.3Mpx / Samsung TruDirect Slot-load DVD / Iomega eGo 320GB ext HD / BT micro-dongle / MS BT 5000 Mouse / Psyopper Custom Slim Profile Sleeve / XS BBP Hybrid Hampton Bag
  (#19) Old

Default 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM

I'm currently using a D300 but will most likely move to the D700 soon.

I travel frequently and wanted a small and very portable laptop to travel with so I built a Mini 9 with a 64GB Runcore and put OSX on it. I haven't really gotten to field test it yet but so far Lightroom has worked well on a small import and should work well as a portable device I can backup my shots onto, review them, do simple touchups in Lightroom, and upload to share with friends while I'm on the road.
  (#20) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
One other question: Any particular case recommendations for the camera, that could also perhaps fit the Mini 9? I've got an el-cheapo case that I'm not fond of, but it works for the moment.

Thanks!
I have an Ape Case Pro 1800 Camera Backpack and absolutely love it! It has ample space with a yellow, mod-able interior (makes it easy to find things), tons of room and also has a padded laptop pocket which will accommodate up to a 14" laptop. The pocket holds my mini comfortably and I can even leave my Psyopper case on with it in the pocket for extra padding.

Check it out, you can find them for less than $75 if you look around. Personally, think it is a great deal! There is also a larger model, but to me it is more space than I need.

White OSX 10.6.2 / 2GB HyperX / 64GB RunCore / 32GB Kingston SDHC / 0.3Mpx / Samsung TruDirect Slot-load DVD / Iomega eGo 320GB ext HD / BT micro-dongle / MS BT 5000 Mouse / Psyopper Custom Slim Profile Sleeve / XS BBP Hybrid Hampton Bag

« Hayfever! | Dell order question... »