General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to n4s720
Default T-Mobile/Google G1 - 05-19-2009, 03:36 PM

If any of you guys own one, what are your impressions of the hardware, software, and service?

I'm interested in buying one when I return to the States next month and I wanted to here some gadget and tech guys thought.

Thanks

Black Mini 9, 16 gig SSD, 1 gig of RAM, 1.3mpx webcam, bluetooth, Windows XP
  (#2) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 04:58 PM

I love it! I had a iPhone for a while and the G1 was a refreshing change due to its openess. There are so many ways to personalize your phone while remaining every bit as powerful, if not more than the iPhone. It is not as "sexy" but that is about all.

The service has been great and where I am (Texas) improved over what I had with AT&T. The hardware is good and I love having a real keyboard for those long messages or email. The onscreen is convenient, but not practical for business.

XPS 13 Ultrabook
  (#3) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintre View Post
I love it! I had a iPhone for a while and the G1 was a refreshing change due to its openess. There are so many ways to personalize your phone while remaining every bit as powerful, if not more than the iPhone. It is not as "sexy" but that is about all.

The service has been great and where I am (Texas) improved over what I had with AT&T. The hardware is good and I love having a real keyboard for those long messages or email. The onscreen is convenient, but not practical for business.
I won't be using it for business. The only drawback I see for me is that I am from the Carolinas and there is NO 3G reception to speak of in our area.

Is the EDGE network really that much slower?

(#4) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 09:39 PM

I was a early adopter. I got mine the first day it was out. I traded my iphone in for the G1. I have to say that I like it more than the iphone (owned for 8 months and also jailbroken). I agree, the only thing its lacking is the sexyness. But i can live without that.

I am so much more productive with the physical keyboard. However I am really looking forward for the cupcake firmware update. On screen keys can be very convienant at times.

I do love the openess of Android. I have a few gripes about about the OS and user interface but I know those issues will be resolved in future updates. The great thing about android is that its forever upgradable. In a few more updates, this platform will be awesome and truely rival osx on the iphone.....if not exceed it.

I have never had a problem with my service in San Diego. Data downloads are decent and even 2G is pretty zippy.

I am very happy with my G1. I tether it to my current laptop: Sony TR3A (soon to be replaced by my mini 9 that i'm expecting today). Here's the link to the app: PdaNet -- Use your BlackBerry as a USB Modem . I get great speeds with my G1 tethered to my lappy.

Tell us all what you decide.......
  (#5) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 12:20 AM

Yep and there are several gui options you can use since it is so open. I also use the PdaNet tethering app to get online with my Mini9 works great.

As for EDGE, most things I have not had a problem with EDGE at all. As a matter of fact sometime I turn 3G off to increase battery life.

XPS 13 Ultrabook
  (#6) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 09:50 AM

Awesome, this is all good news. I have read that they have some new Android phones coming out this summer, so there might be some sexiness on the way.

Either way, I'm a huge fan of Google and opensource stuff.

Oh, and T-mobiles plans seem less expensive in general than the iPhone and its mandatory dataplan.

(#7) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 12:40 PM

My wife, sister and I all love our G1's. I have mine rooted for admin access and the other two don't. One drawback for us was the poor battery life but there is a program that helps you manage different profiles depending on your current power source. Edge is for sure MUCH slower than 3g, but manageable. I use wifi a lot though so that isnt much of a problem. There are a lot of nice free programs and games along with the paid ones. Things to note: you will wanna start using gmail if you are not already, you can check all your other pop3 and imap accounts but having everything synced with a gmail account, like calendar and contacts if very nice, especially if you plan on playing with root access and different builds (as your phone gets whipped clean, on the new install you login to gmail and everything is repopulated automatically). I also like the micro SDHC card slot for adding more memory.

The new cupcake release coming out this month has some nice new features that I am looking forward to.

« What are your 'Must Have' Gadgets? | Video showing a Mini 9 booting into Windows XP in 30 seconds »