General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default why do you prefer os x vs win or vise versa? - 05-15-2009, 05:21 AM

i have always had pc's, grew up started working with dos and continued with windows etc. i have never like macs mostly cause its different and hard for me to work with. what are some of ther reasons you prefer one over the other?
  (#2) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 07:12 AM

I was much the same as you, started at DOS, 3.1, blah blah blah. Few years ago at work we were sprending average an hour a day keeping the XP network working. I had a accident and buggered my knee and had couldn't walk for 3 weeks, decided it was a good chance to try osx. Previously had played with a staff members Macbook but couldn't get my head around it. Figured 3 weeks doing nothing but playing with the OS would be make or break: Either I'd get used to it, or decide against it.

At the start of the 3 week lay up period I was always on the phone to the Mac staffer asking how to do things as nothing came naturally. The problem was I was Windowfied, I thought the way windows made you think, I always looked for a comlicated way to do things, I always assumed the obvious way would never be the right way to do things: "So to delete an application i just drag it's icon to the trash? Surely it can't be that simple?" But but it was, OSX is. Once you get your head out of working the way Windows teaches you to work, OSX is delightfully straight forward and simple.

At the end of the 3 week recovery time I was totally happy with OSX, I'd got all my work spread sheets and stuff setup and I was even playing with iLife and making videos and stuff. Once back to work we threw out the entire Windows system and Mac'd everything up. It's been plain sailing ever since.

I think the way to approach OSX is to think differently, think logically and don't bother looking for the bells and whistles. Windows can do lots and lots and lots, and it can be customised to suit your every mood and whim, but lots of this stuff is not needed, it's just cosmetic.OSX Won't do everything that Windows will, but it'll do all of the thing we actually need it to do, and generally it'll do it better. IMO.

The beauty though is that Apple make the core software and the hardware so conflicts are a thing of the past. And third party apps just seem to work better. Nothing would make me go back to Windows. Nothing at all. Everything at work or home is now Mac or Linux, even the kids netbooks.

Would I put OSX on a Mini? Hmmm, i'm still not convinced it a good idea, but then my Mini is yet to arrive so I've yet to try it. I just can't help thinking that OSX is way to big and heavy a OS for a netbook to run. But I'm looking forward to being proved wrong on that one ;-)

Hope that helps.
  (#3) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 07:13 AM

Excuse typos, it's early, and I'm typing this on my eeepc, and the keyboard is rubbish (poor excuse, but hey, it'll do)
  (#4) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM

I too have been a DOS user, progressing thru Windows 3.x and onwards to 95, 98, ME, 2k, XP and... spit... Vista.

I'd never used a Mac in my life except for the occasional brief mess around in PC World. Like you I couldn't get my head around it either.

However, since installing OS X on the Mini I'm a convert! Everything is logically laid out, the low end hardware seems to run OS X just fine (performance is on par with XP, except OS X is doing a lot more, what with all the Open GL acceleration everywhere).

I've been spreading the word at work about how good OS X is, and I'd have no hesitations recommending it to people in future.

It's a pity that genuine Apples cost so much more. Yes, the hardware is of a higher quality and so on but most people just look at the price and go with what's cheapest.

Saying that, Macs may be more expensive but they're better value, in my opinion. I know people who've had the same Mac for years and years and still runs nicely. Compare that to PC users who seem to upgrade every 3 years or so because their old computer is riddled with viruses and all the crap that gets installed and slows things down.
  (#5) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 10:54 AM

Macs are no more expensive once you factor in residual value. My present Blackbook cost me £900 including 3 years Applecare about 2 years ago. I could sell it today with ease for £650. How much would a once top of the range but now superseded 2 year old Dell fetch?
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-15-2009, 11:27 AM

I used to be a DOS junkie, went to Windows (still had DOS junkie tendencies), went to Linux (briefly) to satisfy my DOS junkie tendencies, switched back to Windows because of app support issues. Still play around with Linux on occasion.

Then, after I bought my Mini 9, I finally gave in and decided to try OS X. I hadn't used OS X since the days of black and white screens, but I had/have been suspecting that it's going to start infiltrating business even more (I'm in IT).

Well, I've decided that I will one day own an Macbook as my primary hardware. I went with a refurb Dell Studio XPS 13 recently to hold me over until I can make the investment. I totally dig OS X, and with virtualization, I can accomplish everything I need to easily (although not with the Mini 9 of course).

ETA: I'm not totally preferential towards OS X though. I still thoroughly enjoy Windows, and with 7, I may not atually make a total switch. My job requires that I use Windows (funny selling Microsoft products using an Apple product), so I will be on both for a while.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 05-15-2009, 11:28 AM

Games. Wolfenstein was pretty cool but D00M rocked. I played all versions of anything Id released. At the time, there were extremely long lags until it showed up (if at all) on a Mac. During the 90's there were tons of new and innovative games and there was no way I wanted to wait a year or more to be able play them. I learned how to upgrade my PC and could easily swap out hardware components (and soon after started building my own systems) for first-person shooters.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#8) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 11:28 AM

Good point. I think we're both in agreement - they may cost more to buy, but they're much better value.

The problem is, most people don't factor that in to their purchasing equation - they just buy the cheapest or the best "bang for buck" they can, based on the hardware specs.

I'm going to buy myself a new computer shortly, as the mini is the only machine I have. I'm torn on what to do, whether to buy an inexpensive desktop PC and hackintosh it or to save up, cave in and buy a Mac.
  (#9) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 02:20 PM

I was a long time Windows user as well (3.1-XP). When I went to college and Vista came out, I decided to go Mac since I needed a new computer and 90% of my programs were either Mac native or worked well on both Mac and Windows. I also needed a top of the line laptop to run those programs (Architecture and 3d design programs). The Mac fit the bill and after a week or two my work flow really improved with it vs. XP or even Vista.

I use OS X on my Mini primarily because of how well it works with the hardware, the fact that I'm used to using OS X, and because expose is the most useful thing in the world for working on a 9 inch screen!

Still have a windows desktop though. Way cheaper then a Mac Pro and I needed something to act as a file server.
  (#10) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 02:50 PM

Just thought I'd put in my 2cents. Haven't used a mac since highschool when they were still called apples. Got a mac mini last month and am totally in love with it. Choice is always good. I am still getting used to osX so with my KVM switch I can still use windows when I need to. Agree with previous post on how logical osX is and so simple to use. I went and put it on my mini 9 and am so glad. My mini 9 came with XP and from the moment I turned it on had so many problems, freezing up, crashing, choppy video, error messages, etc. Everything is smooth since I replaced XP with osX.

Macs are expensive but making that purchase is the same as everything else. Do you want quantity or quality. I have not owned my mac long enough to speak of it's quality although my first impressions are that it is a solid, well built piece of equipment. I liken it to buying a car. I have owned both an entry level Chrysler and Honda, brand new. Chrysler was cheaper but in the end cost me more in subsequent repairs. I got rid of it after five years, lots of headaches and $. My Honda was trusty and never really needed major repairs, just maintenance. It started to get expensive after the mileage turned over but that was already 10 years. I finally gave it up after 13 years. Sometimes, when you pay a little more up front, you get more in the long run. I am a mac convert.

« Streaming your Music Collection | Yes, you can cancel a Dell in Production »