General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
All I know is I want a Mini, probably the same as my brother has, which is a Clubman. The reality is though that now that I have a family, I'm probably looking at a Ford Escape. A Mini (and other cars) would kill my knees...too bloody low to the ground for us tall people.
Have you tried driving a Mini before? I'd always enjoyed Minis from afar, but always figured they'd be too uncomfortable for someone my size -- 6'1'', 200+. Then when I got in one and realized how roomy they actually were, I took it for a test drive and decided that day that my next car would be a Mini.

So now I'm the happy owner of two Mini 9's, one red one black, and one red Mini Cooper S.

I'd never consider subjecting anyone to the backseat, so if you're looking to take multiple family members around, it's probably no good for you, but as a two-person car, I'm thrilled with the space inside. Give it a go if you haven't.
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-15-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
Have you tried driving a Mini before? I'd always enjoyed Minis from afar, but always figured they'd be too uncomfortable for someone my size -- 6'1'', 200+. Then when I got in one and realized how roomy they actually were, I took it for a test drive and decided that day that my next car would be a Mini.

So now I'm the happy owner of two Mini 9's, one red one black, and one red Mini Cooper S.

I'd never consider subjecting anyone to the backseat, so if you're looking to take multiple family members around, it's probably no good for you, but as a two-person car, I'm thrilled with the space inside. Give it a go if you haven't.
Yep. I am 6'8" and 270..

Personally, I love the Mini's. I was in a regular one, and even the passenger side had a good amount of room. I've driven my brothers Clubman a few times, and there is a ton of room. Obviously the back seats are useless though.

Also, my brother is 6'9" and 200-ish, and he loves it too.

If I weren't a family man now, I would already have a Mini most likely.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#13) Old

Default 09-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post

Personally, I love the Mini's. I was in a regular one, and even the passenger side had a good amount of room. I've driven my brothers Clubman a few times, and there is a ton of room. Obviously the back seats are useless though.
I'm biased (I run a service centre that does a lot of Mini service work) but I love them - they manage to blend quirky, techie and edgy!
  (#14) Old

Default 09-16-2009, 12:57 PM

Saying you wanted a mini, I assumed you meant the original when you put how low to the ground they are! But at 6'8, I guess even the new one is close to the ground, lol.

Can you get the Kia Pro Cee'd in the US? They look pretty good and have a long warranty (7 years or something crazy like that). They also have an interior size similar to the older Civics.
  (#15) Old

Default 09-19-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
The Chevy Aveo (a rebadged Daewoo) is one of the worst cars on the road, according to all of the reviews I have read. It is the Yugo of the 21st century.

The Yaris has not been reviewed well either, though maybe it's better now. The Honda Fit consistently wins raves, and the Nissan Versa is good though a bit bigger.
where i live people still use Yugos all the time. seriously.
whatever you do, don't buy a Yugo. they're small, things break easily, they get terrible gas mileage, build quality is beyond terrible, you probably couldn't get any servicing or parts outside of Yugoslavia, they spew out smoke and pollution like a factory and the Yugo just sucks.
i don't even think you could pass a smog test in the USA with a Yugo.

the newer Toyota yaris looks nice, as does the Kia cee'd. try them both if you can.

Dell Vostro A90
16gb ssd
2gb RAM
BT+ .3 webcam
Windows 7 Ultimate Final
32gb sdhc card (Oh Yeah!)
Logitech VX nano
  (#16) Old
Administrator

Default 09-19-2009, 10:49 AM

I once dated a woman who had a Yugo and I drove it some - it was indeed an awful car.

The Kia cee'd is not sold in the US.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#17) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Wm.Mays
Post Have a '07 Yaris - 09-19-2009, 06:28 PM

I bought a new 07 Yaris 3 door hatch back with manual transmission in March '07. I paid approx. $15,300 cash at the time which was right before gas prices soared. The car now has 43,000 miles, and I have never had a problem of any kind. The car gets constant 38 mpg with mostly highway driving (I use the iPhone app AccuFuel which is great for monitoring mpg).

The car is really much more roomy inside than it looks. One friend has a mini cooper, and the Yaris seems much more useful, cheaper, and gets better milage. Another friend has a Smart, and after driving my Yaris, he has it up for sale. Years ago while in college, I had a Geo Metro which did get better milage (about 45 mpg), but was smaller and much less substantial in build.

I would buy another Yaris at any time which is the best recommendation I can give for any car. I urge you to test drive one to see if it will fit your needs.

Wm.Mays

MINI 9: Jade Green, RunCore 64GB SSD, Hyper-X 2GB RAM, Dell 5530 WWAN Card, Dell 1505 WiFi Card, Bluetooth 2.1, 1.3MP Webcam, Leopard 10.5.8 NBI 8.0.3 Final, BIOS A05
  (#18) Old

Default Go for the Mini - 09-20-2009, 04:12 AM

We have had variations of all three, Yaris Smart and currently Mini. The Yaris was one of the most reliable cars we have ever had. When we sold it it had 80k on the clock and the same exhaust (muffler). It would do 60mpg on a run (1.0ltr version) and the rear seat slid backwards and forwards. It was tinny and plasticky the ride is reasonable. We would consider buying another.

The Smart was impractical but fun. Built by Mercedes in France. The auto gearbox was pretty terrible but we had the flappy paddles too. It is surprisingly roomy inside but the boot (trunk) is also tiny. It was not as economical as the Yaris. There is no spare wheel. I wouldnt advise you to buy one without a lot of thought as they dont suit everyone, the ride and handling are abysmal. I had considered buying a Brabus edition until someone suggested I try a Mini Cooper.

The Mini Cooper is in a different class to all of these. We traded in an 07 Civic 2.2Ltr diesel which looks like a space ship compared to the pedestrian American version and the Smart for the Cooper. It is solidly build, funky, drives like a go-kart has plenty of cool features (ie Mood lighting) and is of course is a 50 year old icon. As long as you are happy with the rear leg room and the boot (trunk), the Mini and its variations beats them all. We get 50Mpg on a run (Imperial gallons). The Mini is quite heavy. We avoided the runflat tyres and extra wide wheels and the ride is better than the Civic, Yaris and Smart.
When we bought the car we were given tickets to tour the BMW factory that produces them in Oxford. It is on the site of the original Mini factory but dont confuse the two cars they are light years apart. No two Minis are the same (apparently)

If you live the in the US I think you should really consider supporting the ailing US Motor industry and buying something the rest of the world ignores.

Photo: Mini Factory Oxford on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
There is a picture of how small the trunk is too, if this is an issue, get the Yaris. (or even better, Mini Clubman)
  (#19) Old

Default 09-20-2009, 07:12 PM

What about a USED car

The best used car you probaly can get, besides a Benz S-Class, would probaly be a 2006 2 Door Honda Accord, the interior is fantastic, you can take it apart like it was a remote control car (if you wanted to add mods, iPod dock FTW)

Alienware M15x|Black|BT|GT 240m|Intel i5|Windows 7 64-bit|
  (#20) Old

Default 09-21-2009, 05:50 AM

If you can wait until early 2010, the Ford Fiesta will go on sale and its an amazing little car for how much it will cost (entry will be ~$12-14k).

Black Dell Mini 10v - 120GB Western Digital HDD - 2GB G.Skill DDR2-667 - 6 Cell battery - 1.3 webcam - Dell 1510 - Mac OS X 10.6.4
Alpine White Dell Mini 9 - 8GB STEC/16GB Kingston SDHC - 1GB LV Samsung DDR2-667 - 8 Cell battery - 1.3 webcam - Dell 1397 - Mac OS X 10.6.4

« Best Dell Notebook to Hackintosh | what do you guys think of my new laptop? »