General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default multitrack audio recording with mini 9 - 11-11-2008, 11:13 PM

Anyone other audio engineers out there planning on using the mini 9 for mobile multitrack recording?

Since 2005 I've been running an old (2002) Inspiron 8200 with an E-Mu 1616 PCMCIA. The old beast is finally breaking down after recording many terrabytes of audio (voltage issues, flaking BIOS, physical damage).

I got the Mini 9 just for the portability, never really thought it would be powerful enough to replace the old 8200. But it actually benchmarks higher in CPU, RAM, and drive throughput. The only problem is that it doesn't have PCMCIA so I can't use my Emu 1616.

I do have a Edirol UA-4FX USB 2.0 for two-track recording, and it works beautifully with the Mini 9.

So I'm looking now for a 14 or 16 track USB 2.0 interface to use with the Mini 9...something that won't break the bank too bad (under $750 would be nice). Preferably something very basic, just 16 line-level 1/4" input jacks and a USB port. So far, I've seen some ProSonus stuff that is reasonably priced, and some Tascam rigs...but not exactly what I'm after.

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else is going to try to throw 16 track recording at the Mini.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: multitrack audio recording with mini 9 - 11-28-2008, 07:03 AM

Sup recording buddy? 8-)

Hrm, I just ordered a Mini 9 with Ubuntu, now that you mention this I sort of wish I had gone for XP...

Maybe not, I use Cubase and I'm sure it would have been a pain to get it installed on the Mini 9.

What recording software are you planning on using?

I can't recommend a 16 track interface, I've never outgrown my 2 track Presonus Firebox.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: multitrack audio recording with mini 9 - 11-28-2008, 07:24 AM

How bout this:

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828mkII/

Can't personally vouch for it, and I don't know how you'd go driving it with the mini - but I guess it'd be easy enough to roll up to a music shop and try.
Myself, I'm looking to add some kind of minimalist Ableton Live setup for song idea sketches, and mebbe a scoring program for exporting sequences (for my more literate music associates). I like the idea of a mobile recording unit (even if only 2 track) and all-in-one DJ setup, and I'll experiment with both, but the quick transfer of ideas to 'paper' potential (on the bus,train, supermarket queue) is what I'm most hopeful about.
Keep us all updated with yr experiments, though.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: multitrack audio recording with mini 9 - 11-30-2008, 09:50 AM

Also, there are several different brands of PCMCIA to USB adaptors out there, so you could continue to use your old PCMCIA device, plugged into the Mini9 via USB port.

-Michael
  (#5) Old

Default Re: multitrack audio recording with mini 9 - 01-10-2009, 03:23 AM

Hey fellow musicians -

I actually got the mini to use it as a DAW. I prepared an nlite version of XP3 and have tried asio4all with the mic in as well as an m-audio mobile pre usb. I have to say that i'm a bit disappointed right now. my previous config was a p4 with ableton live 4, an nlited version of XP and the asio4all version of the time. I use it mainly for demos so the line in did the job beautifully.

I'm going to install the same nlited version of xp i had on the p4 and i'll try to find the old drivers for the mobile pre and asio4all see what happens

the xp sp3 drivers of mobile pre are now directx and the latency is awful. asio4all performs better but not as good as earlier versions on my previous setup

if anyone has tips let me know. there might be some usb settings i'm missing or something

best,
ig
  (#6) Old

Default Re: multitrack audio recording with mini 9 - 02-13-2009, 07:43 AM

I am not sure how well these multipurpose DAW softwares, such as Pro Tools, Sonar, Cubase, etc. will work on the minis. Especially, since they don't work too well with my Compaq laptop loaded with 1GB memory, 1.6 GHZ CPU, TonePort Asio driver when I put VSTs along with several audio and VSTi tracks.

But for more simpler tasks, I'd recommend this free software called Krystal Audio Engine (some of you may know already). This does not take too much space on your harddrive and, from my experience, does not require too much CPU power to operate on a pretty decent level. I think it is compatible only with with windows. Sorry for the OS X & Linux users

Krystal Audio Engine - http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/
  (#7) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: multitrack audio recording with mini 9 - 02-15-2009, 02:13 AM

Thanks for the link japtheripper63 I'm sure a few of my audiophile friends might appreciate it as a free program.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#8) Old

Default Re: multitrack audio recording with mini 9 - 02-15-2009, 04:13 AM

My pleasure!

I actually forgot to mention another software called Music Studio Producer. This is capable of basic MIDI, VSTs, audio recording/mixing, and some other plug-ins. Though the user interface isn't as sophisticated and cool-looking as the more high-end ones, this is also free.
I use this primarily as a MIDI sequencer, only to make drafts or rough ideas of a song as MIDI files. But as stated above, it could do more than that. If I remember correctly, it should take about 20 - 30 MB of your drive...?? Not too bad I guess.

Music Studio Producer - http://www.frieve.com/english/musicstd/musicstd.html
  (#9) Old

Default Re: multitrack audio recording with mini 9 - 02-15-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6StringSamurai
Sup recording buddy? 8-)

Hrm, I just ordered a Mini 9 with Ubuntu, now that you mention this I sort of wish I had gone for XP...

Maybe not, I use Cubase and I'm sure it would have been a pain to get it installed on the Mini 9.

What recording software are you planning on using?

I can't recommend a 16 track interface, I've never outgrown my 2 track Presonus Firebox.
You could install the Ubuntu Studio packages...

Model: Dell Inspiron Mini 9
Memory: 1024 MB
SSD Size: 16 GB
Colour: Black
  (#10) Old

Default Re: multitrack audio recording with mini 9 - 02-16-2009, 05:19 AM

I'd love to install Ubuntu Studio, but I can't seem to find a way to do it with 8.04!
Downloaded the alternate iso from their homepage, tried to install it from a USB stick drive, but so far haven't found a way to get the Mini to recognize the drive properly. Keeps looking for the CD. Tried lots of fixes pulled from the net, thus far to no avail.
If anyone has managed to get Studio running I'd appreciate some tips!

« dell shipped me the wrong mini. | Music »