General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Argh @ DHL! - 09-30-2008, 01:34 AM

DHL was supposed to deliver my Dell Mini today, after I had it overnighted on Friday by Dell. Too bad it has been "with delivery courier" since 9:42am. My girlfriend who is not working currently called a few times throughout the day - normal excuses for the delay - new driver - new routing system. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow!

Dell Mini 9, 8GB SSD, 1GB Ram
Netbook Addict
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Argh @ DHL! - 10-08-2008, 10:57 PM

I ordered an XPS 1730 with all the bells and whistles, a near $4000 machine. Dell shipped it using DHL, and I was using their web site to keep track of where it was. Imagine my surprise when their site suddenly listed it as being delivered, with a signature I didn't recognize. I started making phone calls and even drove up and down the road knocking on people's doors to ask if they'd gotten the package. I finally got a phone call from a DHL rep, it turned out the driver delivered it to another house on another street clear on the other side of town!

Another time, the DHL driver left a package clear at the end of the driveway. My driveway is 1/4 mile long and the end isn't visible from the house. Fortunately I live in a rural area, so there's rarely more than 5 or 6 vehicles along this road per day. My roommate found the package sitting out there when he left for work the next morning.

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to jbloodwo
Default Re: Argh @ DHL! - 10-08-2008, 11:11 PM

One of my coworkers at a former job had DHL regularly deliver packages FDS (Front door Step) and he did not live in the best part of town... they would do this even if he made the request that a signature be required.

Dell vostro 1400
Dell Mini 9 8 gig ssd 1 gig ram .3mp cam
powerbook G4 ( needs to be refreshed still on 10.4)
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Argh @ DHL! - 10-09-2008, 05:40 PM

Hmm... I have had hit and miss with DHL. FedEX on the other hand. I ordered a few Christmas gift online and shipped them FedEX. It snowed the day of the delivery (while I was at work) so instead of walking up the four unshoveled steps they tossed the package from the public sidewalk onto my porch. I got home noticed the package, on its side in the middle of the porch a trail of clean concrete leading up to where it skid to a stop. About 10 feet away was a set of fresh tracks, but 10 feet as as close as they got to the porch. Lucky for me it wasn't breakable, but still WTF?
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to zmjjmz Send a message via MSN to zmjjmz
Default Re: Argh @ DHL! - 11-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Well DHL won't be doing anymore domestic shipping in the states, so if you haven't gotten it yet (unlikely) you're kinda screwed.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Argh @ DHL! - 11-22-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmjjmz
Well DHL won't be doing anymore domestic shipping in the states, so if you haven't gotten it yet (unlikely) you're kinda screwed.
I'm glad you're jumping in and reading all of the posts here, but try not to dig up the dead. This was nearly 2 months from original post...
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Argh @ DHL! - 11-22-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicThree
Quote:
I'm glad you're jumping in and reading all of the posts here, but try not to dig up the dead. This was nearly 2 months from original post...
But it is topical and accurate - the recent decision to pull DHL delivery in the U.S. caught my attention as well and was welcome news! I didn't realize there was a time limit on posts. :shock:

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Argh @ DHL! - 11-23-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobumc
Quote:
Quote:
But it is topical and accurate - the recent decision to pull DHL delivery in the U.S. caught my attention as well and was welcome news! I didn't realize there was a time limit on posts. :shock:
Actually, it WAS NOT accurate. DHL is pulling domestic shipping in the US. It isn't doing it TODAY. They aren't going to stop till January 30th, 2009. It isn't as if they would just not deliver packages that were shipped before they decided to stop.

I've had great success with DHL as a business owner and I am actually pissed they are pulling out. Shipping prices are about to get a whole lot less competitive.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Argh @ DHL! - 11-23-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobumc

Actually, it WAS NOT accurate. DHL is pulling domestic shipping in the US. It isn't doing it TODAY. They aren't going to stop till January 30th, 2009. It isn't as if they would just not deliver packages that were shipped before they decided to stop.

I've had great success with DHL as a business owner and I am actually pissed they are pulling out. Shipping prices are about to get a whole lot less competitive.
Point taken, but regardless of when DHL suspends delivery it is going to happen - which is the real point. I'm glad you had success with them, but DHL has been a nightmare in our area. Half the time they can't locate the package or the delivery address, other times they leave thousands of dollars worth of computers outside (in the rain). I'll gladly pay a little more to have UPS deliver promptly and reliably.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#10) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Argh @ DHL! - 11-23-2008, 02:29 PM

Agreed. Never liked DHL and their service was spotty at best.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast

« Dell Black Friday Deals | Synergy »