General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default BAD experience w/ Dell Sales & CS :( Fraud? - 05-08-2009, 11:00 PM

So, my gf's sister was in the market for her first new PC in like 8 years. I was tasked with helping her pick one, only real requirement was a powerful laptop that is semi-portable.

I suggested to choose between the XPS M1330 or XPS M1530 and she chose the 15. She's not computer savvy at all, so naturally she's an easy mark for Dell's shifty sales team and so they upsold her on a 4 year warranty and some other crap. She was really unsure if it was a good idea or not so she asked the rep if she could call back and remove it and he said she could within 24 hrs.

So she called her old man and he told her to get rid of it, was too much $. She cld back 30 mins after making the order and the rep flat out refused to remove it. He said it was completely final and they could not remove it. She argued with him for a bit and eventually gave up. She then tried calling back and another rep said the same thing, and would not let her speak to a manager.

Now, she is the most level-headed, calm, and non-confrontational person I know, so for her to even go to that length is a really serious thing. And they wouldn't budge... Eventually the best they could do for her was give her $100 off the extended warranty.

Now, to me this is borderline, or even blatant fraud. I mean she called within 30 mins of placing the order.

I have dealt with Dell CS for a long time, but in large business enterprise support, so I 've never dealt w/ their consumer sales. But apparently her friend had an instance where she sent a laptop for the Nvidia-fries-your-motherboard issue, under warranty, and after 3 months of keeping her laptop said it would cost $600 to fix?! She told them keep it and bought a Mac. Never got her laptop back.

What the F?! :shock: Now I have egg on my face for recommending Dell. I won't be doing that again. :|
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default Re: BAD experience w/ Dell Sales & CS :( Fraud? - 05-08-2009, 11:41 PM

Dell, like just about every business I've ever dealt with, will rarely do the right thing when you first contact them. You need to harass them HEAVILY and threaten to cancel your order, etc. to have a chance.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default Re: BAD experience w/ Dell Sales & CS :( Fraud? - 05-09-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex
Dell, like just about every business I've ever dealt with, will rarely do the right thing when you first contact them. You need to harass them HEAVILY and threaten to cancel your order, etc. to have a chance.
I agree, that most big companies have armies of incompetent monkeys working their front lines. But to flat out lie and have two reps in a row flat out refuse to remove a warranty upcharge 30 minutes after the order was placed, is straight up fraud if you ask me. That's moving into a whole different territory than incompetence.

Just wanted to vent, see if anyone had any ideas for her to get more of her money back, or start a thread of others saying the same happened to them, if enough of these threads are all over the internet, Dell will either have to do change their ways or start losing customers.

P.S. I'm also doing this because of another egregious fiasco by Dell right now, again bordering on fraud (although maybe less so). Check out the Vostro A90 ship times thread here: http://mydellmini.com/forum/vostro-a...mes-t7774.html
  (#4) Old

Default Re: BAD experience w/ Dell Sales & CS :( Fraud? - 05-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Just cancel the order and reorder the way you want it. Forget trying to change the order in this case...

Dell Mini 9 - 2gb RAM - 32gb RunCore - OS X 10.5.7
Please use my link to sign up for your FREE 2GB DropBox
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyNjcwNDQ5
  (#5) Old

Default Re: BAD experience w/ Dell Sales & CS :( Fraud? - 05-11-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agianino
Just cancel the order and reorder the way you want it. Forget trying to change the order in this case...
What he said

They can not refuse to cancel the order. So just cancel it and order it online the way that they had it setup or from someone else!

XPS 13 Ultrabook
  (#6) Old

Default Re: BAD experience w/ Dell Sales & CS :( Fraud? - 05-11-2009, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If she didn't already have the laptop that's what I'd recommend too! :lol: Sorry, should have made that clearer in original post. I really just wanted to see if anyone could comment on the refusal to make that change to the order. It just seems like fraudulent behavior to me.

I also wanted to archive the experience to the collective hive, people should see that this is how they roll.

« Mini monitor can be a useful (Netbook) desktop annex | Dell Outlet "losing" orders? »