General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Video showing a Mini 9 booting into Windows XP in 30 seconds - 05-08-2009, 03:33 PM

*Disclosure*, I am an employee for the antivirus company who made the video. I am also the proud owner of a Mini 9 with a Runcore SSD.

http://vimeo.com/4520273

Normally I use Ubuntu or Leopard on my Mini, but I let them image it with XP for the video

Cheers!

Cz
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Video showing a Mini 9 booting into Windows XP in 30 seconds - 05-08-2009, 05:11 PM

But what does this really show? Sure, one can configure XP, especially a fresh install, to boot that fast. What benefit did the AV program bring to the mix?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Video showing a Mini 9 booting into Windows XP in 30 seconds - 05-08-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
But what does this really show? Sure, one can configure XP, especially a fresh install, to boot that fast. What benefit did the AV program bring to the mix?
Antivirus tends to add overhead to a PC's boot time. Since the software installed on this particular Mini was made with the intent of being lightweight, it is, in my not unbiased opinion, interesting to say the least.

Cz
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Video showing a Mini 9 booting into Windows XP in 30 seconds - 05-08-2009, 09:12 PM

I read more about this here. The comparison against "industry average" is somewhat dubious, in my view, since there are some real resource hogs out there. I'd be more interested in how it compares against industry leaders such as Norton 2009.

It's also unclear to me what boot time has to do with the benefit to the user. The claim is that it's the scanning process which is slow, which hasn't happened yet with other AV products. Yours and others still have to hook themselves into the OS to even get a chance to detect behavior. What you seem to have done is move the "scanning" part to a web server, though it seems to me that you still have to read the files to be scanned and perhaps create some sort of hash of them.

On my system, anyway, the AV product I use initializes itself in the background and doesn't hold up the boot process. It loads just one or two drivers and has no noticeable effect on system performance. I'm sure you have a great product, but it is unclear to me if the benefit claimed is really there.

Steve
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Video showing a Mini 9 booting into Windows XP in 30 seconds - 05-09-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
I read more about this here. The comparison against "industry average" is somewhat dubious, in my view, since there are some real resource hogs out there. I'd be more interested in how it compares against industry leaders such as Norton 2009.

It's also unclear to me what boot time has to do with the benefit to the user. The claim is that it's the scanning process which is slow, which hasn't happened yet with other AV products. Yours and others still have to hook themselves into the OS to even get a chance to detect behavior. What you seem to have done is move the "scanning" part to a web server, though it seems to me that you still have to read the files to be scanned and perhaps create some sort of hash of them.

On my system, anyway, the AV product I use initializes itself in the background and doesn't hold up the boot process. It loads just one or two drivers and has no noticeable effect on system performance. I'm sure you have a great product, but it is unclear to me if the benefit claimed is really there.
With respect to specific comparisons, you have very valid and interesting points, I will send them up to the team that runs the Panda Cloud Antivirus Beta blog. In time I am sure vendors and third parties will create these comparatives.

The scanning process and speeds are discussed on the blog FAQs here: http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2009/05/ ... questions/ and since it is in Beta, all feedback is highly encouraged.

We can agree to disagree whether fast boot times are beneficial to users. As for the way Cloud Antivirus Beta works, a very simplified representation can be found here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JfW4Ut8kg

As a lightweight and free cloud based antivirus product, I am of the opinion that this is of interest to any netbook owner who is running Windows.

Thanks for your feedback!

Cz
  (#6) Old

Default 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM

Would be nice to get Win7 Support. I think most of the people who can give technical respoces to a beta program would most likely already have Win7 on their netbooks^^.

Not to mention with Win7 scheduled to be released "for the christmas season" getting a good head start on Win7 would be a good business idea to do. Be one of the "few well made AVs for a new operating system."

Mini 9, 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM, Win7100, Bluetooth, 1.3MP, 8GB SDHC, German, No built in WWAN
  (#7) Old

Default 05-22-2009, 06:23 AM

Whats so special about that? Before I upgraded to Win 7 my mini 9 XP install booted in to usable desktop in 26secs

Standard Dell build
Avira Antivir
Flashpoint Driver (helped a lot)
Had loads of software on there but none of it, unless essential, was set to run on start-up
  (#8) Old

Default 05-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Zevallos View Post
... We can agree to disagree whether fast boot times are beneficial to users. As for the way Cloud Antivirus Beta works, a very simplified representation can be found here. YouTube - Panda Cloud Antivirus In Black and White

As a lightweight and free cloud based antivirus product, I am of the opinion that this is of interest to any netbook owner who is running Windows.

Thanks for your feedback!

Cz
Thanks for sharing this here! I actually loved the very simplified YouTube video. Very well done. I'll give this a try and might recommend it to my budget conscious friends.

(#9) Old

Default 05-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
... On my system, anyway, the AV product I use initializes itself in the background and doesn't hold up the boot process. It loads just one or two drivers and has no noticeable effect on system performance. I'm sure you have a great product, but it is unclear to me if the benefit claimed is really there.
I am quite fond of ESET's NOD32 AV, myself. I gave up on the Norton bloatware years ago. Perhaps they've changed for the better? IMHO, naming this product as an industry leader is the most dubious and questionable assumption made in the thread.

(#10) Old
Administrator

Default 05-22-2009, 02:07 PM

You should give Norton another try. Multiple reviews find that current versions are light on resources.

BTW, I am not saying that fast boot times are not an advantage, just that I don't see that this demo shows a benefit to using the Panda software.

Steve

« T-Mobile/Google G1 | Thread rates Mini9 best OS-X netbook, mentions mydellmini.com =P »