General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Send a message via AIM to erikistired Send a message via MSN to erikistired Send a message via Yahoo to erikistired
Default 09-27-2009, 12:08 AM

i've been an apple guy for awhile now, i have a 15" macbook pro, that's currently sitting unused on my desk. i wanted something lighter, i simply don't need that much computing power anymore, but i do take my laptop everywhere. i love os x, altho i've grown to like windows 7.

however, i wasn't willing to pay double for a macbook over the inspiron 11z i ended up with. i would have really liked a 13" macbook pro, but i just couldn't justify the cost (or convince my accountant wife it's worth the extra money). i wish apple would get into the ultra portable market without it costing a grand or more (macbook air?) but i know it's not going to happen.

Quote:
A final thing to note though: I think that Apple was smart by restricting what hardware their OS will run on. When you think about it, a good majority of the reason Microsoft gets the rep that they do is because they design their OS to try to support nearly everything, and because of shoddy drivers from internal and external components. With Apple restricting it like that, it makes sense because they would ultimately (in theory) have a more stable product.
apple tried allowing clones awhile ago, and it almost drove them out of business.
  (#12) Old

Default 09-27-2009, 07:22 PM

A proprietary connection between hardware and software isn't a guarantee of success. Just ask IBM about their MicroChannel Architecture and OS/2.
  (#13) Old

Default 09-27-2009, 08:02 PM

Apple knows that the reason people buy their computers over Windows, which is the user experience + design prowess, would be nullified on a traditional netbook. A netbook is meant for the net. There is very little a netbook Mac could do better on the web than a Linux (especially Moblin or UNR) netbook.

They are working on something, which is not a netbook. A tablet, 98% likely, which would have a new and better experience than a netbook. ARM powered, like the iPhone, and will able to run iPhone apps. It will probably be quite like that Microsoft Courier thingy.

Dell Mini 10v | Product (RED) | Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix | 8GB Samsung MLC SSD | 1510 Wireless a/b/g/n Mini-Card | 6 Cell Battery | 1024x600 | UK Keyboard
Dell Streak | Black | Android 2.2 DJSteve 1.4.6 | 16GB Standard MicroSDHC | GiffGaff
  (#14) Old
Expert Member

Default 09-27-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
A final thing to note though: I think that Apple was smart by restricting what hardware their OS will run on. When you think about it, a good majority of the reason Microsoft gets the rep that they do is because they design their OS to try to support nearly everything, and because of shoddy drivers from internal and external components. With Apple restricting it like that, it makes sense because they would ultimately (in theory) have a more stable product.
I know there is a chart out there, source Microsoft itself, for a pending or active law suit. It shows the 'source' (creator of the code that caused the crash) of Vista crashes. 30% NVIDIA and 10% ATI. That's 40% of the crashes from video drivers basically. (What else do NVIDIA and ATI make?) So its very much a case of being able to control the hardware to help make the software stable. Ask any Mac user, they may not love their video card, based on its features, but you don't see folks complaining that their older ATI and now newer NVIDIA graphics drivers are causing crashes. Apple could pick just a few configurations and make sure ATI or NVIDIA got them drivers that worked well for those few configs.

Its all part of that 'it just works' experience they are selling.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#15) Old

Default 09-28-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkProvanP View Post
Apple knows that the reason people buy their computers over Windows, which is the user experience + design prowess,
Close. I'd say it had more to do with image than anything. Look at the ipod/iphone's elevation to a fashion accessory.

Dell mini 10v OSx 10.6.2 | Windows 7
  (#16) Old

Default 09-28-2009, 11:43 AM

I don't think that's the story.

Most people who buy/bought Apple(tm) computers, both pre and post Intel(tm), did so because they wanted to run OSX (or its predecessors), either as an OS, with software available on Win/OSX, or software that was only available on OSX, or software that ran better on OSX.

These people, on the whole, were willing to pay a higher price, not for fashion, but for the benefits that owning an Apple(tm) provided them personally.

Now that we've proved that a US$299 computer can provide an experience that has the potential to satisfy the wants & needs of a large portion of these people, the question (in keeping with this thread)....

What should Apple(tm) do?

From my perspective I would love it if they could pull together a cheap, low-power laptop with the style/quality of a Toshiba nb205 and the OSX ability of a Dell mini 10v. We know it works. We know that many Apple users, current and future, would find their needs met by such a machine. But that's not the question for Apple(tm). Their question is about whether the profit loss from people who would buy a cheaper unit rather than an expensive unit would be larger or smaller than the profit gain from people who would buy a cheap Apple(tm) rather than a cheap [insert other brand] netbook.

I suspect their actions so far have been sensibly based. If there's one thing the netbook craze has proved, it's that the computing needs of many people have been exceeded by processing power, memory and storage. Not to mention OS (particularly the absurdly high needs of Vista relative to the needs of the software that people actually want to run). The last thing Apple(tm) need is to cannibalise their profits on one hand while competing with the old-tech (WinXP), budget market on the other hand.

Ehm... I'm a bit pissed and aware that I haven't managed to bring my argument to a cohesive conclusion, but that's what I reckon anyhow....

Dell Mini 10v | OSX 10.6.1 | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | 1510 Wifi | BIOS A04 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: ON | OEM BT 2.0: ON | NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3

(#17) Old

Send a message via AIM to erikistired Send a message via MSN to erikistired Send a message via Yahoo to erikistired
Default 09-28-2009, 03:50 PM

i have to agree with max, i bought my mac for the OS. i worked as a pc tech for 10+ years and was quite frankly sick of windows, and with vista on the horizon i just saw nothing but reinstalling my OS every few months as it had been for years. i picked up a mac and once i got used to it fell in love with os x. it works great, and there are some amazing software devs out there offering great products for reasonable prices.

i think what's going to shake things up is windows 7 + netbooks. vista is a bit of a hog, but windows 7 seems to really shine on this platform. that takes things from os x vs xp to os x vs win7, which to me is a completely different ballgame.

will it change things? probably not. the masses will still pay a thousand bucks for a base macbook over trying to hack os x onto a netbook. but there's always a hope steve jobs will see the potential in this market and offer a scaled back version of os x on a netbook platform.

Mini 10v | N270 | Windows 7 | 2GB | 500GB | BIOS A06

« Finally... THE GMA500 DRIVER FOR WIN7!! (Not for Vista) | Like my Background? »