General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default 3 time netbook owner impress with Dell Mini 9/OSX - 05-04-2009, 10:19 PM

First time poster, newbie.
I bought a Dell Mini 9, with the sole purpose of running a hackintosh. 2GBRAM/32GB SSD/Bluetooth/1.3 camera.

I just got my mini 9 this morning. Less than 1 hour later, I got OS X boot-132, retail vanilla 10.5.6, ilife 09, office2008, and all updated etc.. I am currently running clone-zilla to image the drive (carbon copy wouldn't image the partition, efi loaders,etc..)

I gotta saw "Wow!"

Everything works. I specifically tested everything - Dual monitor spanning, bluetooth dial-up networking with my phone, sleep (disable USB legacy in the BIOS), headphone jack, WIFI.

I've installed a few hackintoshes and this is by far the easiest. I just did a MSI wind desktop (same as the wind laptop) last week and it took me 2 days.

I also have the original eee pc 701 and the aspire one w/ a 160GB drive/6-cell battery. The aspire one is half-baked with OS X.

Thoughts so far: awesome device for hackintoshes. The build quality is kinda cheap compared to the Aspire One.
I also miss the fact I can get 6 hours of juice on my Aspire One. The keyboard,screen is also better on the Aspire one.
I'll keep both and relegating the Acer to just Linux/Windows XP. However, I love the SSD drive and the Dell Mini is much, much lighter. There is no fan noises and hot bottoms.
It is also light years from the original netbook, the eeepc.

I wish I can find a 6 or 9 cell battery for the Mini 9.

So far, every software works. I have a Mac Book Pro 2.4 dualcore 4GB Ram, loaded for work. However, I hate lugging that thing around.I use a mac for administering OS X servers for my work and apple remote desktop. I plan to do it all with this mini9.

I'm going to look into optimizing my drive setup. With all my apps, I only have 12GB of free HD space (from the 32GB).

Great site. I found everything I needed here.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: 3 time netbook owner impress with Dell Mini 9/OSX - 05-04-2009, 11:21 PM

You can get an 8-cell battery for the Mini 9 (eBay or amazon.com) but there are some drawbacks.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Help me get 5GB in my drop box (get 25+GB free as well) | Dell A90 orders canceled?!? »