General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Netbook Boom Likely To End With Better Economy - 05-01-2009, 02:24 PM

Another clueless person.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/har ... ction=News

As the economy improves, people will likely turn away from the low-cost netbooks that are driving PC sales in the current recession and opt for more powerful systems, a market researcher said Thursday.

The mini-laptops optimized for Web surfing and costing as little as $300 have experienced a boom for more than a year, with global shipments rising a whopping 2,424% last year and 68.5% this year, iSuppli said. Computer maker Asustek introduced netbooks to the market in 2007.
While the stratospheric growth rates are impressive, they're also expected to be short lived. Sales are likely to return to earth as the global economy improves. Many analysts predict an economic recovery in 2010.

"People are not buying netbooks because they are truly desirable platforms, but rather because as low-cost PCs, they offer a good mix of features at an acceptable price point," iSuppli analyst Matthew Wilkins said in a statement. "With financial motivation a key factor in many netbook sales, growth of the netbook platform is likely to slow down when the economy comes back and consumers have more money in their pockets."

Next year, global netbook shipment growth will decelerate to a less-astounding, but still impressive, 39.6% from this year, iSuppli said. That slowdown will continue at least until 2013, when the growth rate is expected to be 13.1%.

During the economic downturn, much of the growth of netbooks has come at the expense of contemporary PC categories, particularly desktops. Shipments of PCs are expected to drop by 9.5% this year, compared to 2008, according to iSuppli.

One troubling trend among netbook makers is the increasing performance and feature set in the systems, which started out as an inexpensive ultraportable for students and people looking for a second computer to take on the road.

Today, Intel (NSDQ: INTC) is updating its netbook chips to handle high-definition video playback and display sizes are increasingly heading to the 10-inch range, up from the typical 7 and 8.9 inches, iSuppli said. Nvidia is boosting the graphics performance further with its GeForce 9400M chipset.

"While netbook capabilities and performance will inexorably rise in the coming years, the more powerful they become, the more threatening they become to regular notebook models -- through comparable performance but lower price," Wilkins said.

With a few netbooks today being as little as $100 less than some low-end laptops, manufacturers must be careful to keep the costs of the platforms down in order to maintain their market strength, iSuppli said.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Netbook Boom Likely To End With Better Economy - 05-01-2009, 02:47 PM

I tend to disagree.

I am sure it will take a bit of a hit, because there are those out there that went with a netbook, because it was cheap. However for me it was the ultra portability. I have two other laptops, a beast Sager laptop for gaming and a Dell D630 for work. I got the Mini 9 and use it primarily for giving presentations and business travel.

In my job I deal with a lot of execs who can pretty much get what they want. I see a lot of them with netbooks (primarily the Mini 9 and HP) everywhere I go. The did not go with them because of cost.

Like I said I am sure there are plenty that did go with netbooks just because of cost, but I think that they are going to be a force for a while.

XPS 13 Ultrabook
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Netbook Boom Likely To End With Better Economy - 05-01-2009, 03:34 PM

Don't agree a single bit. It is like saying people never buy small fuel efficient cars when gas is below $2 a gallon? It is a matter of taste not economics. Granted, there will be many purchases triggered by cost but the fan base is not lured because of a $200 tag price, in fact, most of the people on this forum own 2-4 netbooks and the total price would make for 1 laptop. I never owned a laptop til now because I felt that the whole laptop thing was plain stupid at the sizes and power guzzling they used to produce those things. Now I can have a laptop (netbook or whatever you want to call it) that I can use for portable stuff like checking emails and the internet on the road, write simple docs and presentations etcetera, in other words, being able to literally carry a piece of technology that keeps you connected at a bare minimum.

Cheers!
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: Netbook Boom Likely To End With Better Economy - 05-01-2009, 04:13 PM

I almost bought a 15" Dell laptop but then I remembered how heavy my 15" Sony Vaio was when traveling. How when at home it almost always lived on my desk in my home office as it was so big and didn't bother lugging it around to WiFi
spots. I canceled my order in favor of the Mini 9. I keep it on a Belkin cush top on an end table in my living room and run it from my coffee table. My laptop backpack was retired for a small sling bag since it's so light.

IMO the article was weighted too heavily regarding the economics of netbooks and not much about other reasons for choosing a netbook.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Netbook Boom Likely To End With Better Economy - 05-01-2009, 04:43 PM

The economy is going to improve? That's great news, I can't wait. There are probably people who came for the price but will stay for the features and other benefits. For me, the price was significant in actually making the purchase instead of envying others....but anyone who has lugged their work supplied desktop replacement for travel on business....the portability and speed of a light ssd system becomes a can't live without item.

If anything, netbooks will force manufacturers to develop and innovate systems that are as light, almost as small, way more powerful and efficient (and reliable)...and upgradable....if we can get a base unit for cheap and upgrade even at point of purchase....the manufacturers would benefit. I will pay more for the following: 1. more battery life at the same weight/size. 2. More processing power with low power consumption (without sacrificing #1). 3. More SSD speed (not necessarily more space...my 16gb STEC and sd card work well...just would like the Runcore 64's (or RC 128g) performance in the 32 size at the 16's price....even as an upgrade from Dell I would pay $100 extra)....and I would pay to have the 10's keyboard (10" screen would be okay) if it was as upgradable as the 9 and maintained the 9s size and battery life. I would, in retrospect, also have paid for the wwan card slot, or to easily be able to do something with the extra space in my mini (it drives me nuts to have empty space in such a small device...perhaps a second ssd (especially if I could get the speed in the 16gb))....options, I want options.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers want to sell us a bigger screen in a lesser unit or a unit that that doesn't have the options/features/upgradability we want. I guess they figure we will buy a new machine every 2 years when/if we outgrow our ssd/ram. For me, if...It will be 5 or more years until I buy a new one (or longer, if they don't provide me what I want).
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Netbook Boom Likely To End With Better Economy - 05-01-2009, 05:40 PM

haha, was just ranting-off about this very thing in another thread. it would be more appropriate here:

the key for me is managing window size and getting rid of un-necessary toolbars/status bars/menu bars and this thing called zoom. word has it, excel has it, firefox has it. i work with multiple apps at the same time, so 2gb upgrade is great. when focusing on a task, minimize all apps and activate only the one you're working with.

anyway, i bring this little thing with me, and it's actually 2 notebook computers in one tiny unit. i have dual-boot winxp and os x. i usually put win xp on hibernate, so when i reboot to winxp, it only takes about 20 seconds for windows to load and all my apps where i left off are activated as if i didn't reboot. os x boots so fast, that it's ok it does not have hibernate. when closing firefox on os x, i save so that all my windows come up next time i come back.

[rant-on]
one thing that bothers me is the "attitute" towards the low-price of the netbooks. i actually paid $530 for mine shipped from ebay back in october because i didn't want to wait so long for dell. i would have paid double or triple that, to get the size and functionalities i have on the mini 9. am i happy the price is so low now? hell yea! coz i know if something happens to my mini 9, i can easily replace it with no hesitation, but it just seems that the low-price is something that has to be apologized for?

i have heard from 2 mac guys at work that apple will never enter the netbook market because they don't know how to make a computer that is $500 and is not junk. why does apple have to sell it for $500? they can sell it for $1000 or more. why not? for the size and portability... why not?? iphone used to sell for a lot more than what it's selling now, and it still sells for more than a mini 9 (depending on the configuration)... [/rant-off] :mrgreen:

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Netbook Boom Likely To End With Better Economy - 05-01-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL

IMO the article was weighted too heavily regarding the economics of netbooks and not much about other reasons for choosing a netbook.
Hey Mo, ya hit the nail on the head.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Netbook Boom Likely To End With Better Economy - 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palawan
i have heard from 2 mac guys at work that apple will never enter the netbook market because they don't know how to make a computer that is $500 and is not junk. why does apple have to sell it for $500? they can sell it for $1000 or more. why not? for the size and portability... why not??
I agree that way too many people harp on the price of a netbook as the driving factor in sales, but they are not entirely wrong. Sony and Toshiba have been making small, light computers similar to netbooks for a LONG time but they didn't catch on in the general market until ASUS introduced a CHEAP one also.

Oh, and Apple already has a product that competes in the "super small and light" arena, and they DO charge quite a bit for it, its called the Air. Unfortunately, I think the Mini 9 beats the Air in terms of "bang for your buck".

Air Advantages:
  • lighter[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • faster processor (core2duo instead of atom)[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • faster graphics chip (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M instead of GMA 950)[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • larger HDD/SSD (defaults to 128GB HDD on the $1800 model and 128GB SSD on the $2500 model)[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • larger screen[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • larger keyboard[/*:m:3on91txg]

Mini9 Advantages:
  • smaller "footprint"[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • VGA port[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • three USB ports[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • built in SD card reader[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • built in WWAN[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • SSD standard[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • user swappable battery[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • user serviceable SSD, memory, WAN, WWAN[/*:m:3on91txg]
  • Starting with a WWAN model Mini9, including the 64GB RunCore SSD & 3rd party memory to bring the Mini9 to 2GB RAM, I still saved at LEAST $1000 over the cheaper Air, which wouldn't have gotten me an SSD for a "silent" computer, that would have cost an additional $1700 instead.[/*:m:3on91txg]

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Netbook Boom Likely To End With Better Economy - 05-05-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaoFerret
Oh, and Apple already has a product that competes in the "super small and light" arena, and they DO charge quite a bit for it, its called the Air. Unfortunately, I think the Mini 9 beats the Air in terms of "bang for your buck".
i won't consider the mac book air as super small, but it is very light for its size. the dell mini 9 is still lighter, though. netbook prices going for the same or lower than a high-end cell phone is a very big reason for a lot of the buyers, but i think the functionalities and portability are equally as big a reason for most.

if i lost my mini 9 and the current price of the mini 9 is $1000 or less, i'd still buy it. $1500 or more? maybe i start to consider other options...

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Netbook Boom Likely To End With Better Economy - 05-05-2009, 07:36 PM

You know I always find it interesting that people are either pro-netbook, anti-netbook. I also find it amusing how many people feel that a family or even person only has one computer. As more things move to the "cloud" the information is really the key.

If we learn from the past we see that radio and TV both started out as large boxes in the living room, and eventually became devices that can be big, or small, depending on the use or need. The same will be the same for computers. You may have a machine in the living room, a lightweight one to take with you, and if you through in smartphones you have ultra portable. It's a combination of three things. Price. function, and need.

« Dell A90 orders canceled?!? | Dell's 25th Anniversary Passes, Quietly (Possible Sale Soon) »