General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Microsoft: Windows 7 RC free for a year - 04-30-2009, 03:39 PM

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.asp ... d=16472651

Microsoft has shown its confidence in Windows 7 by announcing that the Release Candidate (RC) will be made available to the general public for a year from 5 May.

The Windows 7 beta has been a huge success for Microsoft, which has been buoyed by the positive feedback to one of its most critical ever releases.

Now, people will be able to effectively trial the new OS for a year before deciding if they want to buy the retail version, with Microsoft confirming that the RC will be readily and freely available to all until June 2010.

A big deal for Microsoft
"It's a big deal for us, Microsoft's Windows OEM Product Manager Laurence Painell told TechRadar.

"Obviously, we are releasing what we feel could be the final version - what we will put out to manufacturers and even wider availability when we release the product to consumers."

"The release candidate is available for everyone. From 30 April it will be available to our IT professionals through MSDN and TechNET, we let them get it in advance.

"Then it will go up on windows.com/download for everybody. There is no limit to the availability and it will be available on 5 May. It will run until 5 June 2010."

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old

Send a message via AIM to weber72 Send a message via Skype™ to weber72
Default Re: Microsoft: Windows 7 RC free for a year - 05-01-2009, 03:03 AM

Wow. I'm glad they've got such confidence in it. I know it's not without faults here and there (like any OS), but I've been quite pleased with it thus far. Very crisp-looking and snappy.

Dell Mini 9 (Alpine White) -- 16GB SuperTalent SSD -- 2GB Kingston RAM -- 8GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC -- 1.3MP webcam -- Windows 7 RC / Linux Mint 7 RC
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Microsoft: Windows 7 RC free for a year - 05-01-2009, 11:01 AM

The first hit is always free.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Microsoft: Windows 7 RC free for a year - 05-01-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex
The first hit is always free.

Except with Apple...

With them it costs double (ipod 1G, 2G iphone etc)
  (#5) Old

Send a message via MSN to ChazB Send a message via Skype™ to ChazB
Default Re: Microsoft: Windows 7 RC free for a year - 05-02-2009, 04:44 AM

I love how Windows 7 is getting praise when it is essentially just Vista with some enhancements. Realistically, if Vista had been marketed properly, not pushing it onto "Vista capable" machines, it would have fared better. It really does need at LEAST a dual core processor and 4GB RAM to run correctly. Mine uses over 2GB running the same apps I ran on XP using half the RAM. I don't really think Win7 is any better than Vista, it's just the baseline of hardware is more advanced than it was when Vista shipped.

| Dell Mini 10 | Product Red Edition | 1.6GHz | 1.3MP | 160GB SATA HDD | Bluetooth | 802.11n | Windows 7 Ultimate |
| Dell Mini 10v | Obsidian Black | 1.6GHz | 2GB Kingston HyperX | 1.3MP | 160GB SATA HDD | Bluetooth | 802.11n | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. - Unknown

Before Elvis, there was nothing. - John Lennon
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Microsoft: Windows 7 RC free for a year - 05-02-2009, 05:05 AM

Agreed...Win7 looks just like Vista SP2 RTM that I just updated to today!

« Replicating the functions of this site | Acer confirms Windows 7 available 23 October »