General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#41) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastbiker View Post
Wanted a cheap Mac. The Mac Mini is stupidly over priced.

Anywhere I go I bring a bluetooth mouse, which works incedibly good, and I leave an Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard at my PC station at home. Therefore some of the limitations, I'm not really experiencing.

I use Warcraft on it - only for basic chatting, setting up and rearranging raids, but it can be used for basic farming/grinding/questing too.

I'm doing our guild web page on it with iWeb, and it looks lovely so far, far better than the CMS-based nonsense we currently have.

Via Wifi I'm finally sorting properly 16GB of photos stored on my PC HD, using iPhoto. No decent PC package that I could find which works as nicely.

I'm currently being frustrated by iMovie though, with the Mac's poor support for Fraps codecs, so using Youtube instead, and integrating those into my web page.

I have a MobileMe account with my iPhone, and I'm stunned at how well and how easily MobileMe integrates with various programs on the Mac. I've left the Bloatware Outlook behind on the PC, Apple Mail/Calendar/Contacts does all I need.

Firefox is fantastic on it. I use the Foxmarks (now xMarks) addon on this and my PC Firefox, to share passwords and bookmarks flawlessly.

iTunes is getting a workout - there's not yet room for all my music, but my iphone podcasts are synced to the mac, while music and all else is synced to the PC. That works well. Means I can sort my podcasts in peace in bed. EDIT: Just loaded iTunes on both machines. it loaded on the Mini9 in a few seconds, I think single digit seconds, and loaded in about 2 minutes on my quad core 7200rpm PC with plenty of space on the HD. Jeez!

VLC used to me my main video player, but it's relegated to the bin of un-use now.

ScummVM lets me play Monkey Island and Indianan Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Tweetdeck is a lovely Twitter app, but I'm considering Tweetie for Mac, which is already on the iPhone, and is fantastic.

MAME OS X let's me play Black Tiger. I'm a happy camper, but I suspect I'll be happier when I get a Logitech USB gamepad, which will work with it.

XCode is helping me learn programming. Ain't programmed for years, and back them it was Clipper and FoxPro.

Ventrilo let's me communicate with 35 other warcraft freaks at the same time on our personal guild ventrilo server. Works bette rthan on my PC, which introduces an unacceptable delay with some people.

Appcleaner let's me remove apps cleanly.

Disk Inventory X shows me where my big files are stored. Handy for seeing where installation programs have left huge files strewn.

Logmein let's me remotely access other PC's and Mac's, without faffin around too much. I've used it to troubleshoot my friends Mini9 space issues.

ScaleResolution let's me fit more on screen when I'm using iWeb and others.

Now.... my favourite package.

I use Plex for all my video needs, online and wirelessly from my PC. Words cannot describe how impossibly cool, slick and capable this package is. Think Front Row on speed. It even grabs all the meta info about my various TV programmes from a web page - I just name the files sensibly, it grabs EVERYTHING I need and presents them beautifully.
Thanks for your posts. They are really very cool, very wonderful.

comparatif simulation taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prĂȘt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto
  (#42) Old

Send a message via AIM to MinnieMelissa
Default 08-06-2009, 03:25 AM

I just got mine today but I bought it with the intent of school use and entertainment lol. I have an Inspiron 1720 but the thing is massive and definitely too heavy to carry around. I live about 30 minutes from where I go to school and work and I'd rather not waste gas driving back and forth constantly between work and my classes so I figure with the Mini I can just chill around campus or go to Barnes and Noble at the mall and keep myself busy lol.

Pink Inspiron 1720
Alpine White Mini 10

Dropbox Referrals: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTE2OTcwODk5
  (#43) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 04:42 AM

I was trying to decide between a Macbook Air and a Lenovo X301. I read that the Air has a 4200rpm hard drive (too slow) and the X301 configured as I wanted would cost 4 times what my mini 10 cost.

I searched all the netbooks. Deciding factors in Dell's favor was the high resolution screen 1366x768 and internal tv tuner. Other than that the specs seem to be similar across the board. I can touch type on the mini 10, somthing I couldn't do on the others I tried out.

I use it for web, office, and document management. Just bought a fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 and it works fine with the mini 10. I would like to try out skype for making video calls. I use bluetooth to sync my sprint centro phone with the palm desktop. I did a fresh install of win xp to start without the unwanted preinstalled software.
  (#44) Old

Default 08-09-2009, 09:24 AM

When reading, esp. in a foreign language, my M9 serves as several dictionaries, encyclopedias (both in my native and the book's language), map, and of course all that web info, all wrapped into one. Top Sites in Safari set to all the necessary sites -- great! Much better than the Nokia Communicator I used for that, faster wifi, a screen that deserves that name, better typing..
  (#45) Old

Default 08-09-2009, 09:25 AM

Oh, and has anyone tried this? lol
  (#46) Old

Default 08-10-2009, 04:13 PM

glorified recipe book for the wife

PlayStation2 SCPH-30001 v4.0 / Seagate 250GB
PlayStation2 SCPH-39001N v7.0 / Seagate 320GB HDLoader 0.8c / Memory Card Exploit
(+[__]%) PSP-1001k 98500 5.00 M33-6 2, 8 & 32GB MSPD
XBOX 360 Arcade 20GB LiteOn iXtreme 1.6 & Activate.iso Xbox LIVE Status: OK
Macbook Pro 2.4 i5 8GB 320GB Mac OS X 10.6.6
Dell Mini 10v 1GB 160GB Mac OS X 10.6.6 & Windows 7 RTM
A physicist is just an atom's way of looking at itself. N. Bohr
  (#47) Old

Default 08-10-2009, 05:00 PM

My other computer is a 17" MBP. Though by 17" laptop standards it's light as a feather, it's not very portable. I wanted something I could easily put in my bag and use anywhere to go online. It's also great for when I'm in front of the TV and I don't want 6lbs of aluminum heating my lap.

Dell Mini 10v A05 N280 2GB 16GB Stock SSD BT Draft N Mac OS 10.6.2
  (#48) Old

Default 08-12-2009, 08:11 PM

I ordered mine because I really want to make a Hackintosh.
  (#49) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 11:43 PM

i picked mine because i got a smoking deal on it and i wanted something portable that i could carry around and just plop down where ever i am at and do some work if i wanted to.

I use it mainly for web viewing, listening to music, using it as a DJ center when going to parties (8000+ songs + creative labs usb sound card = THE ISH!), and i can run visual studio 08 off of it with ease when i need to do some quick dev work if one of my techs screws something up. it's a great little laptop.
  (#50) Old

Default 09-04-2009, 07:18 PM

I want to use my 10v for downloading music and i was wondering how well it will do?(i plan on getting an external hard drive to store the music to save the limited hard drive space)
What is the best free music downloader(ex. limewire).

« PS3+Geek Squad | Kontera »