General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#21) Old

Default Re: What do you use your netbook for? - 05-09-2009, 04:17 AM

Like a lot of people, I use it as a backup machine I can throw in the car or take on trips without worrying about theft or damage. Use it for browsing the web, RDP, SSH and email. I couldn't resist throwing a Runcore into it, so I suppose I broke the 'dirt cheap' rule and have an ever so slightly pricier machine. I sometimes wish I had a pocket big enough to carry it in, however....

Cz
  (#22) Old

Default Re: What do you use your netbook for? - 05-12-2009, 12:39 AM

I bought my 9 so that I wouldn't have to carry around my Macbook all the time (it is bulkier than a netbook). I use it to admin my colo server via commandline (and via webmin). I can also do some small amount of coding and have actually taken it to work and used a spare monitor and keyboard which helps a LOT. Anything I can do on my other Linux boxes, I can do on the Mini...I've yet to find something it can't do!

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#23) Old

Default 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM

I bought the Mini 9 to replace my Palm Tungsten when the digitizer went belly-up. I was carrying the Palm in a case that held a portable keyboard and such - the Mini 9 is the same size as that case and the keyboard is integrated, I now get wifi and lots more storage. I have found myself leaving my IBM T42 at home when I travel - the Mini 9 does all I need it to do on the road.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#24) Old

Send a message via ICQ to ptdmini12 Send a message via MSN to ptdmini12 Send a message via Yahoo to ptdmini12
Default 05-20-2009, 05:46 AM

I bought mine because of the battery. Its also nice to be able to access the internet while traveling on the bus in the morning. the wifi card is great. I also use my mini to collect fingerprints.

Atom Z520@1.33 | Windows 7100
  (#25) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 05:34 PM

I use my Mini9 with lightroom. At times, it is painful due to the small screen but it does work. It is 10X better than lugging my macbook pro around. It is excellent for viewing files and shuffling to an external portable USB drive.

Only problem now is that I am doing video as well and the mini 9 doesn't cut it.

(#26) Old

Default 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM

school
  (#27) Old

Default 06-01-2009, 02:09 AM

When I buy mine I will use it for school, taking notes,web surfing,making basic programs for school (just learning) and for around the house computing when not at my main PC.

(#28) Old

Default 06-01-2009, 03:34 AM

went from an xps with full tru life high def to the mini, once i got the os and some hardware changes on the mini, like it way better. coolest little laptop....course i dont game either.
  (#29) Old

Default 06-05-2009, 06:34 AM

With my Mini 12, I get to surf and work out documents on bed. I end up spending more time with my wife and son in the bed room, and my wife no longer complain about me being in the study room (where my desktop is) for too long

Mini 12 | Atom Z530 | Windows XP Home
  (#30) Old

Default 06-07-2009, 02:24 PM

A cup of coffee, a cinnamon roll, a Dell Mini 9 and free Wifi at Panera is like a little slice of heaven on Earth, IMHO.

« PS3+Geek Squad | Kontera »