General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#21) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-28-2009, 03:03 AM

he mostly just complains about the keyboard.

i just did a typing test and i got
76WPM with 95% accuracy on the full size desktop keyboard

and on the mini
i received a score of 51 WPM with a 92% accuracy.

Mostly due to the fact that I use the right shift key exclusively on my desktop and have for YEARS... this left shift thing is messing with my head a little.

I've had the mini for about a week or two now and there are a few things i don't really like about it besides the keyboard, but it's minor. Who the hell buys a mini 9 to write a novel!?

(#22) Old

Send a message via AIM to weber72 Send a message via Skype™ to weber72
Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-28-2009, 03:10 AM

Well played, STiMULi. Nice pic.

Dell Mini 9 (Alpine White) -- 16GB SuperTalent SSD -- 2GB Kingston RAM -- 8GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC -- 1.3MP webcam -- Windows 7 RC / Linux Mint 7 RC
  (#23) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-28-2009, 09:30 AM

One of the main reasons I got my mini9 was for travel. Bringing a $2000+ MacBook Pro to S.E. Asia with me just seemed a bit absurd; but my mini9... sure, why not? If anything happened to it, it'd be like losing an iPod -- no big deal. As far as the keyboard, my only complaint is the placement of the quote key. But I've learned to live with it and can type pretty fast on this keyboard after two months of travel. With OS X installed there are a few quirks here and there, but 99% of everything I do works exactly as my MacBook Pro. Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I've gotten great use out of it and I don't see that changing any time soon...

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-29-2009, 12:02 AM

Here's a much more level headed review of the Mini 9 "OSX Edition" from another Mac site:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/OSXo ... Mini9.html

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB STEC SSD | 16GB RiData SDHC
Triple Boot: Windows 7 | OSX 10.6 | XP
  (#25) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-29-2009, 03:21 AM

I had to agree with 1 thing in the post, the rather non-standard keyboard. So I spent $25 (15 + tax + shipping) for the US-Intl keyboard. Now the shift quote and plus sign are where I expect them and I don't have hunt for a Fn combo to get useful things like the vertical bar, tilde or brackets and braces.

Otherwise I like this little machine. Granted its not a Macbook Pro but I never expected it to be.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#26) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-29-2009, 04:53 AM

I also agree with the keyboard complaint. I remember way back when there was a laptop that when opened would have a keyboard that would slide out and expand to a near full size keyboard. Maybe one day the netbook keyboards will grow up.

Anyways...

This is what the "hackb00k is a fail" author stated about the keyboard;
Quote:
I took both my MacBook Air and the mini 9 with me to Macworld Expo 2009, thinking that I would use the MacBook Air for video editing and the mini 9 for writing. Wrong. Once again, my fingers and the horrible keyboard on the mini 9 conspired against me...

And from "the more level headed" author listed above;
Quote:
Like the iPhone, I have learned how to be competent typing on it, but no one would want to write "War and Peace" using one. These things are for light duty typing, like iChat or short e-mails

Which writer has the obvious agenda and bias?

No too tough to tell huh?

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#27) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 05-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Here's a rebuttal blog post to the Tuaw article.

"Why The TUAW Dell Mini 9 Road Test is a Fail"

http://blog.expandrive.com/2009/04/28/w ... is-a-fail/

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB STEC SSD | 16GB RiData SDHC
Triple Boot: Windows 7 | OSX 10.6 | XP
  (#28) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 05-05-2009, 08:16 PM

Here's a video review from Andy Ihnatko about his Mini 9 hackintosh...

http://vimeo.com/3630135
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 05-06-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by directeuphorium
he mostly just complains about the keyboard.

i just did a typing test and i got
76WPM with 95% accuracy on the full size desktop keyboard

and on the mini
i received a score of 51 WPM with a 92% accuracy.

Mostly due to the fact that I use the right shift key exclusively on my desktop and have for YEARS... this left shift thing is messing with my head a little.

I've had the mini for about a week or two now and there are a few things i don't really like about it besides the keyboard, but it's minor. Who the hell buys a mini 9 to write a novel!?

I also agree the keyboard is fine, and i have huge hands (piano keyboard octave+3). It's a little small but you get used to it, and I have the german keyboard which has more keys than the US keyboard I think.

Mini 9, 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM, Win7100, Bluetooth, 1.3MP, 8GB SDHC, German, No built in WWAN
  (#30) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM

I posted a reply on his blog about his "clever" picture

Your picture of the Mini 9... Yeah.. while I'm sure you think makes you look clever, makes you look like an ignorant Apple fanboy instead.

The Mini 9 is a netbook. Do you understand the definition of one? It was never meant to be a Mac. It doesn't wish it were a Mac, *you* do.

Seriously, you look about as foolish as someone who buys a Prius, tests it against a sportscar and then bashes the Prius. Then takes a picture of the Prius with a sign that says "I wish I was a Ferrari" and then posts it on his blog.

Wow. Nothing more embarrassing than a fool who thinks he is being clever.

And I personally love OS X, but this blind, ignorant fanboyism is a joke.

« Dell's 25th Anniversary Passes, Quietly (Possible Sale Soon) | How to backup and restore your netbook »