General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM

To quote Apple's COO Timothy Cook on April 22nd, "When I look at what is being sold in the notebook space today, I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, very small screens -- just not a consumer experience, not something we would put the Mac brand on.

Hmm. anyone tried writing a novel on an iPhone?
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM

The guys a bell end. He should have tried to write his novel on his iPhone because its just about as ideal a device to do so as a netbook.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Apple Fanboi Hurts himself on a Dell Mini 9 - 04-27-2009, 06:22 PM

Well I think it runs great, he can sit in his tower and rant all he wants...haha. Most non-fanboi folk will just brush it off
  (#14) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default Re: Apple Fanboi Hurts himself on a Dell Mini 9 - 04-27-2009, 06:48 PM

Epic fail of an article!! :lol: that guy is an idiot, has no clue what he is talking about... I made a comment on the stupid TUAW article. He can have fun with his overpriced MacBook Air (which is more of a fad than netbooks). Does he even understand the purpose of netbooks?!

And he is ignorant for typing at a novel writing conference on a Mini 9 (or any netbook) keyboard. Either use a different machine or an external keyboard. What a tool.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Apple Fanboi Hurts himself on a Dell Mini 9 - 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM

Both articles (tuaw.com & macsparky.com) miss the entire point of netbooks, IMO.

For me, the main reason for a netbook is so that I can have a small laptop that I can easily stick in any bag or space that a normal laptop wouldn't fit into. The screen & keyboard has to be small or else that defeats the whole purpose of a netbook. I don't want a 12" or 13" screen and a full size keyboard. The fact that the Mini 9 is inexpensive is a plus but not the motivating factor for me, it's the ease of transport that's primacy.

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB STEC SSD | 16GB RiData SDHC
Triple Boot: Windows 7 | OSX 10.6 | XP
  (#16) Old

Send a message via AIM to BeyondtheTech Send a message via MSN to BeyondtheTech Send a message via Yahoo to BeyondtheTech
Default Re: Apple Fanboi Hurts himself on a Dell Mini 9 - 04-27-2009, 07:26 PM

Ya, I had to comment on TUAW regarding the absurdity of the article. He obviously never stopped by here to do it right, and he was looking for a complete replacement of a full-fledged notebook.

Black Mini 9 2GB 64GB BT 2.1 1.3MP 802.11g XP SP3 OSX 10.5.7 DellEFI 1.1 MBR A05
Read my guide on How to Dual-boot OS X and Windows from the DellEFI Method!
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Apple Fanboi Hurts himself on a Dell Mini 9 - 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber72
I'll continue to sing the praises of this little machine, but if it doesn't fit your needs, that's fine. That's why there are more products out there. Grab one that you like, be happy with it, and stop trying to convince yourself that what is best for you is best for everyone.
Touche'

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#18) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-27-2009, 07:44 PM

I merged two threads discussing this article.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-28-2009, 12:57 AM

I commented on both the article and the linked blog post in the article...clearly the author needed to do a LOT more research in addition to the fact that he just didn't approach the netbook with the right mindset. Did he suddenly think it would get bigger the second he used it? Did he think that it would magically grow a dual core processor and larger resolution screen? You get from the Mini 9 what you put into it--for some of us (including myself) that is an awesomely functional OS X netbook. His accusations of lack of usability are crap.

And to address the keyboard issue? I may be a girl with small hands, but I can still type about 100 words a minute on my Mini with minimal errors (no lie, I have taken the typing test!!). Plus, I *am* writing a novel on mine, in addition to all the freelance blogging I do in my spare time AND the writing I do professionally...and I am no fool. ;-)
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail - 04-28-2009, 01:24 AM

The authors rendition of the Mini 9

My rendition of my Mac

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food

« Dell's 25th Anniversary Passes, Quietly (Possible Sale Soon) | How to backup and restore your netbook »