General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Lightbulb Life is Good and Then...Not So Much - 11-08-2008, 03:45 AM

I've been spending a lot of time setting up the Dell Mini 9 just how I want it, and I was looking forward to a quiet night at home with the T.V. and the Mini 9 at my side. But when I got home two of my three access points were down, as was my SqueezeBox3 (music server).

I've just spent six hours trying to get back everything and running which included hard re-setting the access points, and the SB3, and upgrading the router's firmware. I never got the SB3 back 100 percent. Also I had to reset all the passwords on the devices.

Finally sitting down to use the Mini9 I find I forgot the power adapter a work. I may just have to read a book.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Life is Good and Then...Not So Much - 11-08-2008, 10:55 PM

Wow-That really sucks. Hope things get better. Mercury can't possibly be retrograde again yet, can it? :roll:
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Life is Good and Then...Not So Much - 11-10-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz1
I've been spending a lot of time setting up the Dell Mini 9 just how I want it, and I was looking forward to a quiet night at home with the T.V. and the Mini 9 at my side. But when I got home two of my three access points were down, as was my SqueezeBox3 (music server).

I've just spent six hours trying to get back everything and running which included hard re-setting the access points, and the SB3, and upgrading the router's firmware. I never got the SB3 back 100 percent. Also I had to reset all the passwords on the devices.

Finally sitting down to use the Mini9 I find I forgot the power adapter a work. I may just have to read a book.
bummer having to do all that setup again... what was the cause of the problem?
the mini gets like 4 hours on a charge, not enough for a night of TV? too much TV for a night!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Life is Good and Then...Not So Much & Now Better - 11-12-2008, 09:49 PM

Well Slimdevices/Logitech Tech. came through with some trouble shooting advice that cleared up a lot of network problems. I shot myself in my own foot by having a Netgear Router hooked up to an Apple Extreme Wifi access point and the two were colliding causing all sorts of problems.

The Netgear is out of the chain and the Extreme is now the only router. I don't know why I thought the Extreme could be a switch. Maybe it can but I won't tempt fate now that it is working. Miss some of the Netgear router reporting and firewall tweaking though.

Mediacom came out and confirmed my seasonal temperature signal/noise ratio problem and that I need a line guy. So now I will have to wait 24hrs to see if the line guy comes and adjusts the line. In the meantime my connection is up and down like a yo yo. I don't know why they have to do this in a Tier 1, Tier 2 field visit. Just read the logs.

The good news is that I now have a USB printer on the Apple Extreme Wifi/router and the Mini 9 picked up up right away with CUPS. No fuss no muss.

« Dell Mini 9 VS Acer Aspire One VS Asus Eee PC 901 Comparison | HP Mini Owners? »