General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default The $200 "Mac" (Vostro) - 04-21-2009, 05:07 PM

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=3747
April 21st, 2009

Pound for pound the best value for a machine running Mac OS X right now is the Dell Vostro A90 netbook — which is on sale for $199. That’s right, for less than the price of an iPod touch you can buy a machine that runs desktop-class Mac OS applications and a Web-browser with Flash.

The Vostro A90 is Dell’s business equivalent of the Mini 9, the perfect hackintosh platform that I’ve written about here before (ad naseum). It’s 100 percent the same as the Mini 9 inside, the only difference is that it comes in an all-black enclosure, as opposed to the Mini 9’s black and silver styling, and according to posts on the MyDellMini forums it has a little more metal inside making it more rigid than the Mini 9.

You still have to purchase Mac OS X and there are compromises that come with any netbook (Atom 1.6 processor, small keyboard, screen and HDD) but pound-for-pound it’s the most bang for the buck of any Apple machine bar none. While it won’t win any races running Photoshop, Final Cut Pro or Logic, it runs most other OS X applications very fast and performance-wise it blows the iPod touch away.

In fact, it’s so cheap that Apple should cede this market to Dell and work on an OS X tablet/bigger iPhone because there’s simply no way that Cupertino can compete with a $199 notebook. Game over.

If Apple’s planning on releasing a $500-$600 netbook, as has been rumored, it’d be better off working out a deal to license Mac OS X to the likes of Dell, Acer and MSI than to try to compete with them in the low-cost space. Apple simply can’t do it.

Apple needs to focus on what’s working and that’s the iPhone platform. It’s white hot right now with 25,000 app choices and almost 1 billion apps sold. Why on earth would Apple want to get into a race to the bottom with Dell?

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old

Default Re: The $200 "Mac" (Vostro) - 04-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL
-snip-
It’s 100 percent the his as the Mini 9 inside, the only difference is that it comes in an all-black enclosure, as opposed to the Mini 9’s black and silver styling, and according to posts on the MyDellMini forums it has a little more metal inside making it more rigid than the Mini 9.
-snip-
In fact, it’s so cheap that Apple should cede this market to Dell and work on an OS X tablet/bigger iPhone because there’s simply no way that Cupertino can compete with a $199 notebook. Game over.
-snip-
If Apple’s planning on releasing a $500-$600 netbook, as has been rumored, it’d be better off working out a deal to license Mac OS X to the likes of Dell, Acer and MSI than to try to compete with them in the low-cost space. Apple simply can’t do it.
-snip-
Why on earth would Apple want to get into a race to the bottom with Dell?
Addressing a couple of their points: ops:
1 - The Vostro is a Mini 9 with a black LCD bezel and palmrest. That's it. No extra anything. Same device except for different plastic colors.
2 - Of course Cupertino can compete with a $199 notebook. First of all, it's $199+$129 for an OS X license+$100 for more RAM+$100 for more hard drive space, which makes it $500ish. Second, OS X can be broken on the Mini/Vostro at any time, versus a Mac netbook which would always be guaranteed to work.
3 - Why would Apple license one of the only two things that makes them truly different? What makes Macs special is their PHENOMENAL software, and the high-class hardware that is well-integrated with the software. Apple tried licensing back in the System 7 days, it didn't end well. That's where Macs got an awful reputation. Apple would never license its OS out to Dell or anyone else, simply because they'd lose that amazing integration of hardware and software that makes Windows look like a giant clunky beast.
4 - It's not necessarily a race to the bottom. A Mac netbook would probably have a unibody enclosure, multi-touch touchpad, an excellent keyboard, an Intel CULV processor, and more. That's not "bottom", that's fantastic. Our little Hackintosh community is so teeny that it's stupid to think that Apple cares what we do. If Apple released a $500 (or even $600) netbook, it would sell several million in the first quarter that it was available. I'd buy one without a doubt, and 99% of my Mac-owning friends would get one, to say nothing of my PC-owning friends. Don't just assume that since there's a few tens of thousands of people Hackintoshing (or hundreds of thousands), that Apple will give up its several-million device marketshare.

EDIT: Sorry to MoInSTL! ops:

Dell Mini 9 - Obsidian Black | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 2 GB CAS3 Kingston HyperX RAM | 64 GB RunCore SSD | BIOS A04 | BlueTooth | 1.3MP Webcam
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: The $200 "Mac" (Vostro) - 04-21-2009, 08:37 PM

They're not her points, they belong to the blogger on ZDNet :mrgreen:

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: The $200 "Mac" (Vostro) - 04-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
Heh. :roll:

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old

Default Re: The $200 "Mac" (Vostro) - 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
:shock: My apologies, I didn't proof-read before I sent it off. What I meant to say is addressing THEIR points. ops: I'm sorry if I came off as a bit rude, it certainly wasn't intended that way. It's certainly an interesting article.

Dell Mini 9 - Obsidian Black | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 2 GB CAS3 Kingston HyperX RAM | 64 GB RunCore SSD | BIOS A04 | BlueTooth | 1.3MP Webcam
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: The $200 "Mac" (Vostro) - 04-21-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahFuLing
Quote:
Quote:
:shock: My apologies, I didn't proof-read before I sent it off. What I meant to say is addressing THEIR points. ops: I'm sorry if I came off as a bit rude, it certainly wasn't intended that way. It's certainly an interesting article.
No worries. You may want to go the link & reply to the blogger.

(#7) Old

Default Re: The $200 "Mac" (Vostro) - 04-21-2009, 11:09 PM

I did, my post hasn't appeared yet. :shock: I also wanted to reply here just as a place to say my piece, but I ended up looking stupid. :roll:

(#8) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: The $200 "Mac" (Vostro) - 04-22-2009, 06:05 AM

I find and post a few messages that I think may be interesting in the General forum everyday. I'll use a larger font or bold the link to future articles to may it clearer.

(#9) Old

Default Re: The $200 "Mac" (Vostro) - 04-22-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I find and post a few messages that I think may be interesting in the General forum everyday. I'll use a larger font or bold the link to future articles to may it clearer.
No, it's OK, I'm just an idiot and didn't proof-read. Some part of my brain knew it was a blogger's article, but most of my brain was distracted and was stupid. :?

(#10) Old

Default Re: The $200 "Mac" (Vostro) - 04-22-2009, 11:07 PM

To be fair, I'd imagine quite a lot of people putting OSX onto a Dell are using various torrent site, making the OS price zero.

$100 for RAM, well I think you know that's plain misleading.

As for "can be broken at any time", I'm not swayed by such inane scare tactics. If it ballses up, I got my time machine backup.

With regards to the unibody case and CULV whatsamathinggy, I don't care. I like the price point of the mini9, and the hardward is more than good enough as is.

And Apple is smarter than you luckily, so they DO care what we do. You think the month long delay for an item that is being hackintoshed isn't on their radars?

« The skinny on Dell's newest laptop (Adamo) | Tiny Laptops, Now Nearly Free, Put PC Makers In A Bind »