General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-21-2009, 04:57 PM

A bit over the top IMO...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10223400-17.html

n a recent study from Forrester Research, analysts found that Dell and Hewlett-Packard provided customer experiences that were well below par, while Apple came out on top.
According to the study, which asked 4,500 U.S. consumers to rate the usefulness and enjoyability of products, Dell received a "poor" rating in overall customer experience. The company mustered a "very poor" when it came to the customer's enjoyment using Dell products. HP's experience was rated as "poor," while Apple led the way for computer manufacturers with an overall "good" experience.

Bruce Temkin, the study's author, wrote that while PC manufacturers have some work to do to enhance the consumer's experience, Windows also contributed to the low marks.
"I do think Microsoft's software has a bit to do with it," Temkin wrote. "Consumers don't distinguish problems with the operating system from problems with the PC manufacturer. Bottom line, the Windows ecosystem needs an extreme customer experience makeover."
I agree with Temkin. But I also believe that Windows 7 is the single Windows OS that can improve the consumer's experience.

Aside from compatibility issues, one of my biggest complaints with Windows Vista was its design. Microsoft tried to be too fancy with the look and feel of the OS instead of focusing more on its ease of use. It wasn't an improvement over XP and it ruined my experience.
But Windows 7 is different.

The Windows 7 experience
Windows 7's taskbar is a game-changer. When you roll your mouse over an icon in the taskbar, thumbnails of every open instance of the application will be displayed. If you're unsure which window you want to open, you can hover your mouse over a specific thumbnail and it will be brought to the front in full size. It's a simple addition, but it makes finding open windows much easier. More importantly, it enhances the consumer experience.
Whenever you perform a clean install of an operating system, it's fast. Windows XP was snappy when I installed it on my machine and so was Vista. But after using Windows 7 and comparing it to a clean install of Vista, I found that Windows 7 booted faster than Vista. It also opened applications quicker than its predecessor. The difference wasn't major, but it was noticeable. So noticeable, in fact, that I think consumers will be happy with what they find.
When I used Windows Vista, one of my biggest complaints was the almost constant annoyance from User Account Control. It was everywhere. "Do you really want to open this application?" "Do you really want to download this program?" "Do you really want to sit that way? It might hurt your back." It ruined my experience.

But in Windows 7, the UAC popped up just once or twice over the course of a week. The annoyance was gone. And, once again, it improved my experience.

There are countless other areas where Windows 7 provides an improved experience over Windows Vista. But those three examples illustrate something we can't lose sight of: using Windows 7 is more enjoyable than using its predecessors.
And isn't that all Dell and HP really need? If Temkin is right and most consumers cannot distinguish between the software and the hardware, won't an improved Windows help enhance their overall experience? And won't that, in turn, help PC manufacturers score higher on the survey?

How much higher is the question. Improving a consumer's experience goes beyond installing better software. The hardware needs to follow suit. Though the specs in most PCs are on-par with competing products from Apple, PC manufacturers need to be aware that part of Apple's appeal is in the design of the product. And although HP and Dell have tried to improve the design of their PCs, Macs are still the most attractive computers on the market.

But as these companies try to figure out how to turn things around, it's Windows, that very OS that's currently bringing them down, that will help them break out of their decline.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Being a Windows to OS X "convert" (I use the term loosely as I am a fan of both at the end of the day), WIndows 7 comes a long way. Apple has done great things with OS X, and I totally get why techie and non-techie types love it. With Windows, it isn't nearly as friendly in a lot of regards. When you have goofs like ME, and to some extent Vista (it got a lot better after the first SP, IMHO), it leaves a sour taste.

I think app compatibility is going to be one of the biggest issues when it comes to W7. And that may limit any perception change.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-22-2009, 07:31 PM

I hear this stuff every time a new version of Windows comes out. The beta testers all swear THIS time Microsoft got it right and surely this will be the end of Apple and Linux. Then the new version hits the retail outlets and 20 million users find out that Microsoft in fact did not get it right this time. Microsoft then spends the next six months trying to patch holes and fix bugs, Apple and Linux users continue to use OS X and Linux for the same reasons they have always used them.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-22-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex
I hear this stuff every time a new version of Windows comes out. The beta testers all swear THIS time Microsoft got it right and surely this will be the end of Apple and Linux. Then the new version hits the retail outlets and 20 million users find out that Microsoft in fact did not get it right this time. Microsoft then spends the next six months trying to patch holes and fix bugs, Apple and Linux users continue to use OS X and Linux for the same reasons they have always used them.
I think you seem to read all the FUD posted around the net. Much is true, but if you think the beta testers thought Vista was going to be great, you really were not paying attention. Vista had many complaints during beta testing. Windows 7 is much improved and actually enjoyable. I am a Linux enthusiast and all my machines at home except my work machine are Linux. Linux will never be mainstream and it is not because of the technology, it is because the user base will not let it be. OS X is great and the best thing about it is that it has force MS to change their game. The best thing is to have several good choices not just one.

Oh and if Windows XP, as boring as it was, was wrong for Microsoft, I would hate for them to get it right!

XPS 13 Ultrabook
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-23-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintre
I think you seem to read all the FUD posted around the net. Much is true, but if you think the beta testers thought Vista was going to be great, you really were not paying attention. Vista had many complaints during beta testing. Windows 7 is much improved and actually enjoyable.
All I am saying is, Windows 7 will not be as good as everyone says its going to be and it will fail to convert Linux and OS X users.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-23-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
...it will fail to convert Linux and OS X users.
I agree on that!

XPS 13 Ultrabook
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-29-2009, 04:41 PM

I doubt Windows 7 will change peoples opinions that much, its still the same old crap.

Its true i use an iMac as my main machine so i may be a little biased, but i chose Win7 as my OS of choice on my Mini9. OSX is a pleasure to use, Windows has always been, and will continue to be, an unnecessarily frustrating experience.

Microsoft try to please too many people and end up doing nothing right. On the other hand Apple arent afraid to aleinate people to move forward.

I havent seen Microsoft truly innovate in years. Of COURSE Windows 7 wont get as much bad press as Vista because, simply because 7 is just a refined Vista. People are not judging the OS on its own merits, they are all hung up on comparing it to Vista which is unfair.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-29-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintre
Quote:
...it will fail to convert Linux and OS X users.
I agree on that!
I think this misses the point though. The linux user base in the mainstream is low enough to where I truly do not believe Microsoft cares. Now if we start looking at the server market, things are different, because in that area, the admins are more knowledgeable about Linux that your most every day users, and with no cost for licensing, Linux has an advantage.

Yes my wife could use Ubuntu instead of Windows 7, but what about when she wants to use specific apps her friends use? Sure, I can set it up for her, use wine, etc. But it's not as simple as just running Windows. Despite the fact that it brings other issues to the table. The number one reason why she would not switch to Ubuntu, or OS X? Familiarity.

Microsoft has enough market share that they do not need to worry about conversion. The linux base and Apple are the ones who worry about the conversion rate and numbers. I'm using OS X nearly every day on my Mini, but this doesn't mean I have abandoned Windows either. Each OS has a very good purpose, and I will use each for that purpose. The young kids right now, have insight into Linux, Windows, OS X, and they too will choose whichever fits best for their purpose.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-29-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adderz91
I doubt Windows 7 will change peoples opinions that much, its still the same old crap.

Its true i use an iMac as my main machine so i may be a little biased, but i chose Win7 as my OS of choice on my Mini9. OSX is a pleasure to use, Windows has always been, and will continue to be, an unnecessarily frustrating experience.

Microsoft try to please too many people and end up doing nothing right. On the other hand Apple arent afraid to aleinate people to move forward.

I havent seen Microsoft truly innovate in years. Of COURSE Windows 7 wont get as much bad press as Vista because, simply because 7 is just a refined Vista. People are not judging the OS on its own merits, they are all hung up on comparing it to Vista which is unfair.
Have you ever thought about taking a step back, and taking into account that you are a OS X user, trying to use Windows?

I've been a Dos/Windows/Linux user since the early 90's, and know Windows pretty much inside and out. I rarely run into any frustrations with Windows, which has a lot to do with my knowledge of the OS. I Love OS X, but on the other hand, some things frustrated the crap out of me about it. However, I don't hold OS X responsible for it, it is different than Windows, and it takes some getting used to. At some point I'll know OS X as well as I know Windows, and those frustrations will disappear.

The same can be said about the unusually high number of returns of netbooks with a linux based OS. Why are the users returning what could be looked at as a much more powerful OS? Familiarity. The same reasoning that you may be using to put down, others are using to return their Linux flavored netbook's in exchange for window's based ones.

Just my 2 cents as a user of Ubuntu/Windows/OS X.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-29-2009, 08:28 PM

Every time I sit down at a computer, I am hoping for a worse experience than I've ever had before. I keep being disappointed. They got rid of those nice, awful gigantic command lines and put in a GUI. Then, as if that wasn't enough, they started giving us more processing power. Now we are stuck with 32 bit color screens instead of a nice green phosphor that can burn in pretty patterns when we walk away from our desks. Then there's all of this storage that's available. Whatever happened to having to decide which files to delete off of an 8" floppy to make room for something else? And why do we have to put up with fast connection rates when we used to have 110 baud modems that blazed along at about 11 bytes per second. The IBM 5100 was plenty small and light enough, and APL was, well, it was APL. You can hardly expect to get a decent workout and throw out your back hauling around something that's just a handful of kilograms, eh? I suppose that I could make do by getting a huge leather case and tossing in a bunch of lead weights or some old kiln bricks to make up for the lack of weight. It's just awful, isn't it?

"Germanium" Jack

« Acer Could Replace Dell As World's No. 2 PC Maker | Outlet Coupon Code 15% Off »