General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-29-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravor
I think this misses the point though. The linux user base in the mainstream is low enough to where I truly do not believe Microsoft cares.
If Microsoft does not care, why did they lower the cost of Windows XP for OEM netbook installs ? Or for that matter why did they keep XP alive so long after its intended end of life ?
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-29-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex
Quote:
I think this misses the point though. The linux user base in the mainstream is low enough to where I truly do not believe Microsoft cares.
If Microsoft does not care, why did they lower the cost of Windows XP for OEM netbook installs ? Or for that matter why did they keep XP alive so long after its intended end of life ?
So you are trying to tell me that the need for Microsoft to keep XP around is because so many Vista users are now flocking to the Mac side? If so, why did the Mac sales take such a beating over the last quarter?

Microsoft extended the XP life cycle, and lowered the cost of XP for netbook's because the general public didn't want to adopt Vista. In addition XP runs smoother on Netbook's than Vista does. What netbook users would move from paying $299-499 for a netbook, to suddenly $899 or more for a MacBook, which is a lot larger?

Microsoft knew that they had ruined any chances of a high level adoption rate of Vista, because of the foiled launch. Does that mean Vista is a terrible product? In it's Post SP1 state it runs pretty damned well, as long as you have the hardware to run it on. Windows 7 will just run even better on the same hardware and give you a better overall experience. The extension of XP was to tide the portion of the public that was not going to adopt Vista over, until Windows 7 is released. The public that didn't want Vista was going to continue using XP wether Microsoft extended the product or not. I'm willing to bet the piracy numbers for XP would have gone to extraordinary numbers had Microsoft not extended the sale of XP.

I like OS X, have since I bought my Mac Mini, but to think that Vista caused a customers to leave in drove's to come to OS X is a pipe dream.

Again just my 2 cents, and interpretation of what Microsoft was thinking.

-Dravor
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-30-2009, 03:26 AM

Have you ever thought about taking a step back, and taking into account that you are a OS X user, trying to use Windows?.[/quote]

Nope, because i used Windows for years. 3.0, 95, 98, Me,2000, xp, Vista and now 7.

I only came into contact with Macs 3 years ago, and ive only been using them semi permanently for a year.

Heck, i still use Windows 7 on my Mini9 and have both a 7 and XP VM running on my Mac.

But i can truthfully say using OSX is a much more pleasurable experience.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-30-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
So you are trying to tell me that the need for Microsoft to keep XP around is because so many Vista users are now flocking to the Mac side? If so, why did the Mac sales take such a beating over the last quarter?
No, I am saying Linux was making serious in roads into the mainstream via netbooks, so they extended the life and lowered the price of XP, to limit the Linux market share. If Microsoft didn't care about the Linux market share, then why drop the price of XP, after all they still had the majority of the netbook market share ?
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex
Quote:
No, I am saying Linux was making serious in roads into the mainstream via netbooks, so they extended the life and lowered the price of XP, to limit the Linux market share. If Microsoft didn't care about the Linux market share, then why drop the price of XP, after all they still had the majority of the netbook market share ?
My personal believe is that they extended the life of XP because of the low Vista adoption rate and that this way sales continued. It may be less revenue than they would of made off of Vista, if you compare prices, but in the end it is still a sale of an OS, versus a customer waiting to upgrade. Or in turn, using the XP disk from an older PC and just reinstalling XP on the new XP. The market share for Linux should have gained more than the normal growth it has seen over the past few years had the old XP users been jumping shop to Linux.

As for XP on the Netbooks, it's simple. Have you used Vista on a 1GB Atom netbook? Sure it will run, but it is nowhere near as fast or snappy as XP or Windows 7. Had they pushed Vista on netbooks, it only would have continued the negative press and resentment of users, trying to run vista on a PC that just isn't specced out for it. Remember, only 1 GB of memory comes standard..... XP gives the best experience on the hardware, hence the extension.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 could change our perception of PCs - 04-30-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
As for XP on the Netbooks, it's simple. Have you used Vista on a 1GB Atom netbook? Sure it will run, but it is nowhere near as fast or snappy as XP or Windows 7. Had they pushed Vista on netbooks, it only would have continued the negative press and resentment of users, trying to run vista on a PC that just isn't specced out for it. Remember, only 1 GB of memory comes standard..... XP gives the best experience on the hardware, hence the extension.
There are netbooks out there that will run Vista just fine, they simply don't cost $199. My point is, if the Linux market share didn't matter to Microsoft, then why didn't they concede the low end netbook market to Linux ?

« Acer Could Replace Dell As World's No. 2 PC Maker | Outlet Coupon Code 15% Off »