General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Dell's Outlet Stores Go Down in US and UK 4/18 - 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... nd_uk.html

Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:50 PM PDT
Some of Dell's online outlet stores, where it sells refurbished PCs, were unable to process orders Saturday due to an apparent technical error.

Attempts to access pricing and availability for laptops and desktops were met with blank pages or a "server error" message. The problem affected Dell's outlet stores for the U.S., U.K. and Ireland.

The stores sell equipment at discounted rates and are separate from Dell's primary online stores, which appeared to be working normally.

The problems at the U.S. outlet store began Friday evening, according to messages posted to the NotebookReview Web site, and the site was still down Saturday evening.

"I tried last night and early this morning to view the inventory on Dell's Small [Business] website but I kept receiving an error message," a user with the screen name Stevoreno wrote on the NotebookReview.com forums Web site Saturday morning.

Dell did not respond to requests for comment. A customer service agent on its support line said the U.S. store was having "technical issues" and that the company was working to fix it.

The downtime could hurt the clearance sale going on at Dell's U.S. outlet store, where 15 percent discounts are being offered on Inspiron PCs and Mini netbooks

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell's Outlet Stores Go Down in US and UK 4/18 - 04-23-2009, 12:44 AM

I experienced those issues and gave up on a unit I was interested in.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell's Outlet Stores Go Down in US and UK 4/18 - 04-25-2009, 02:54 AM

I too experienced those problems, and was pretty frustrated since some things worked sometimes on the site, so it wasn't clear it was a site problem.

However, as I kept checking back all weekend, early on the 19th I was finally able to find a system that met my criteria, although for $20 higher than the best price I had seen on the outlet store over the past month.

Fortunately, Thanks to this forum (Thank You!), I had heard about Dell Outlet coupons, and a search found the code for the 15% off, and free shipping, so after the discount and the addition of CA sales tax (now 9.25% where I live) I paid $5 more than the best price. (not too shabby!)

Mini 9, 1GB (which I will upgrade to 2GB), 16GB SSD, 1.3Mpix camera, Bluetooth 2.1, Alpine White, refurbished. $285
and it arrived today! (Yayyyyy!)

Alpine Wt Mini 9  2GB Crucial  16GB STEC SSD  1.3Mpx  BT  int OSX 10.5.8  ext OSX 10.6.4
Ti PB G4 1G 1GB 10.4.11  15" iMac G4 800 768MB OSX 10.5.8  PM8600 OS 9.2  asst Mac/Sun/Linux
Currently developing iPhone apps on a Dell Mini 9, and looking for a new job in the SF Bay Area

« Question Regarding Digital Media, Morality and Legality | What's Your Twitter Name? »